Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my charcoal can a few weeks ago because the old one was cracked and had a leak so it threw a code. I have been driving a whole lot to be able to get through drive cycle but even after over 1000 miles both city and highway my emmisions monitors are all green except for evap. i have no check engine light and it fills with gas totally fine. Im sure i reconnected everything correctly. I used my scan tool to clear the code after i did the work. should i have disconnected the battery instead? Im not sure if i have done something wrong but at this point i just dont know

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a similar but opposite issue 2002 Sonata V6: evap codes, rebuilt the canister replace the valves etc. Still, CEL came on with evap codes eventually. In NYS, you can be inspected with 1 monitor not ready. So kept the Evap test from running by keeping the gas tank near full. Eventually had to do this crazy drive to force the second-to-last monitor to run so I could get the car inspected, almost got killed. It ran, and I got the car inspected, then just kept turning the CEL off with the scan tool. Got another year out of it, then gave up and got another car.
So: Google "Sonata Drive Cycle" or similar and see what turns up and see what you can do to simulate that. Don't underestimate how dangerous this can be in traffic.
My main advice would be try keeping the tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full, supposedly this is necessary for the Evap test to run. I can definitely state that keeping the tank as full as possible kept the Evap monitor from running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts