Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what is causing the driver side coil to be burning up. With ignition in on position leads to coil read 12v-grnd-6v on driver side and 12v-gnd-0v on pasenger side. What could be causing the surplus voltage to that coil? Started as intermitten missfiring and now wont fire at all with that extra voltage. other coil working perfectly.... kinda rough only running on 2 cylinders but will run and stay started...
Is the crank position sensor a dual pick-up? or a single? Where is the firing voltage comming from? is there a relay thats fired by the computer or is the computer sending out that directly to the coil? Is there a ballast resistor hidden somewhere?
codes from autozone: p0300 p0302 p0304 p0320(not listed in chilton) p0350
Called Hyundai dealership and talked to a tech:"never heard that problem before"
Any insight will be GREATLY appreciated, THANKS in advance

EDIT: oops... '02 2.4l Santa Fe
EDIT2: oops '03

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (rj10 @ Dec 13 2010, 04:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379433
?
codes from autozone: p0300 p0302 p0304 p0320(not listed in chilton) p0350
0300 - Random Misfire detect
0302 - #2 misfire detect
0304 - #4 misfire detect
0350 - Coil related
0320 - ignition filure sensor

Called Hyundai dealership and talked to a tech:"never heard that problem before"
Tell me you is really serious about this comment... too funny to beleive...

Any insight will be GREATLY appreciated, THANKS in advance
Insight, your problem is easily remedied...

Do your coils look the pic, large white grey spot... dont matter, 2 and 4 is coiled cylinder..

Repair --> 2 new coils, OE wire set, new plugs (OE is NGK platinum).. step up to NGK IRIDIUM if available, require less voltage to fire, and last a whole lot longer than Platinum..

The 0320 may just be along for the ride, get the tune taken care of and see what happens after that,,, if the 0320 comes back, then plan on ignition failure sensor on end of head (follow wire harness from coils around to part bolted on bracket, see 2nd pic, though it is residing on a 3.5 water pipe..

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Dec 13 2010, 07:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379496
Do your coils look the pic, large white grey spot... dont matter, 2 and 4 is coiled cylinder..
no the plastic on the wire side is melted and protruding watched the third one smoke and fail.
Repair --> 2 new coils, OE wire set, new plugs (OE is NGK platinum).. step up to NGK IRIDIUM if available, require less voltage to fire, and last a whole lot longer than Platinum..
already replaced plugs and wires and purchased 4 coils so far. you dont think the voltage differance is a problem? the other thing that was happening was the tac was bouncing during the missfires during driving then as the car warmed up more it would stall out. i would down shift one gear and it would start right back up and run for a few miles befor it would do it again. and all three hyundai tecs from three difrent dealerships said they never heard of this befor but would test it for me for between 110 and 150 dollars.
The 0320 may just be along for the ride, get the tune taken care of and see what happens after that,,, if the 0320 comes back, then plan on ignition failure sensor on end of head (follow wire harness from coils around to part bolted on bracket, see 2nd pic, though it is residing on a 3.5 water pipe..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Dec 13 2010, 07:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379496
no the plastic on the wire side is melted and protruding watched the third one smoke and fail.
already replaced plugs and wires and purchased 4 coils so far. you dont think the voltage differance is a problem? the other thing that was happening was the tac was bouncing during the missfires during driving then as the car warmed up more it would stall out. i would down shift one gear and it would start right back up and run for a few miles befor it would do it again. and all three hyundai tecs from three difrent dealerships said they never heard of this befor but would test it for me for between 110 and 150 dollars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks this is helpful to me also, i have a few of the same codes. P0300, P0302, P0303, P0350. i already replaced the part in the second picture because it was running rough and now i am going to try replacing the plugs and wires. i dont see any signs of that damage on the coils though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driver's side coil - extremely hot!

I have a 2003 Santa Fe, 2.4L. I experienced intermittent missing problems at about 150k miles. I replaced both coils and that took care of the problem. Now at 190k miles, the P0350 light came on and again began running rough. While I did not have any burn marks on the coils, I noticed that the driver's side coil was extremely hot to the touch, while the other one was just hot. I replaced the driver's side coil, along with the recommended iridium plugs. The new coil doesn't get extremely hot anymore and this seems to have taken care of the problem, so far.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My observation is,that driving during heavy rain, cause water to accumulate around the spark plugs,especially at driver's side yellow residue is present around rubber boot,so is formation of rust on the plug.Cleaning helps,but eventually the coil will fail,from periodic abuse (water).When all possibilities are exhausted (cleaning,new plugs,dielectric grease,wires)-put brand new coil,and most likely no more problem for next few years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts