Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all, I got a 03 that when its time to filler up, it takes along time to fill up. I have turned the hose in every direction and tried every delivery speed, and..it continues to kick it off at any angle or speed. I can not run fuel to the tank for more then 10-15 seconds and the nozzel kicks off. The two vents on the neck are open, Ive even tried to fill with the little flapper held up.... nope... any one else have this issue and/or got any ideas to speed up the filling process. :liebe011: lon

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tank filter is probably plugged. It is located under the trunk in the metal box bolted there. It is attached to the cannister close valve. I would suggest replacing the close valve at the same time as they can stick. If you see any charcoal particals in the filter or close valve you will need to replace the cannister as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (tech1 @ Apr 22 2010, 09:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315605
Tank filter is probably plugged. It is located under the trunk in the metal box bolted there. It is attached to the cannister close valve. I would suggest replacing the close valve at the same time as they can stick. If you see any charcoal particals in the filter or close valve you will need to replace the cannister as well.
Replacing the Canister close valve and the purge valve behind the throttle body is a good idea. I had this same issue and replaced both items thinking it would solve the slow fuel filling issue, but it didn't. Still its a good idea to replace them after 80k miles or so. I dug a little deeper and removed the charcoal box altogether to inspect. These charcoal boxes are, believe it or not, filled with charcoal that "filter" the fuel vapors that are stored in the box after the car is turned off, and this charcoal filtering somehow makes the fuel vapors more emissions friendly when they're sent to the intake manifold on start up. In short, its an emissions thing. Well, over time, this charcoal will swell up and back up into a vent hose that runs from the gas tank to the charcoal box. When this vent hose gets clogged, there is no way for the fuel vapor entering the gas tank to vent and it will overflow back up the filler tube- where you put gas in, which can cause gas to spew/gurgle out.

Here's the fix. The box is located between the mufflers, behind the tow hook. It looks like a big metal box. That is the metal cover for the actual box. I think there are two screws on the backside of the metal cover, and two nuts on the front side. Remove those 4 hardware and the box will drop down. The actual charcoal box is inside and looks like its wrapped in insulation. Pull the smaller box out of the cover and disconnect the two hoses and the close valve sensor plug so that the charcoal box is off the car. Get a bucket or some kind of solid container, turn the box sideways, and dump out all the charcoal. It takes a while so be ready to shake firmly for 5-10 minutes. It should fill about half a gallon container's worth before most of it has poured out. Now, go back to those two hoses on the car. Take the smaller one, and bang it against the car or something to shake the clump of charcoal pellets out of the hose so that it is unclogged. Might as well check the other hose just to make sure you aren't clogged anywhere else. Reinstall everything, go put some gas in, and you should be fine to squeeze the nozzle all the way at the pump! No CEL's to date, and this has been fixed on my car for over two months now.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (tibtronic03 @ Apr 27 2010, 06:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317459
Replacing the Canister close valve and the purge valve behind the throttle body is a good idea. I had this same issue and replaced both items thinking it would solve the slow fuel filling issue, but it didn't. Still its a good idea to replace them after 80k miles or so. I dug a little deeper and removed the charcoal box altogether to inspect. These charcoal boxes are, believe it or not, filled with charcoal that "filter" the fuel vapors that are stored in the box after the car is turned off, and this charcoal filtering somehow makes the fuel vapors more emissions friendly when they're sent to the intake manifold on start up. In short, its an emissions thing. Well, over time, this charcoal will swell up and back up into a vent hose that runs from the gas tank to the charcoal box. When this vent hose gets clogged, there is no way for the fuel vapor entering the gas tank to vent and it will overflow back up the filler tube- where you put gas in, which can cause gas to spew/gurgle out.

Here's the fix. The box is located between the mufflers, behind the tow hook. It looks like a big metal box. That is the metal cover for the actual box. I think there are two screws on the backside of the metal cover, and two nuts on the front side. Remove those 4 hardware and the box will drop down. The actual charcoal box is inside and looks like its wrapped in insulation. Pull the smaller box out of the cover and disconnect the two hoses and the close valve sensor plug so that the charcoal box is off the car. Get a bucket or some kind of solid container, turn the box sideways, and dump out all the charcoal. It takes a while so be ready to shake firmly for 5-10 minutes. It should fill about half a gallon container's worth before most of it has poured out. Now, go back to those two hoses on the car. Take the smaller one, and bang it against the car or something to shake the clump of charcoal pellets out of the hose so that it is unclogged. Might as well check the other hose just to make sure you aren't clogged anywhere else. Reinstall everything, go put some gas in, and you should be fine to squeeze the nozzle all the way at the pump! No CEL's to date, and this has been fixed on my car for over two months now.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Had the same problem with my 2002 Sonata--just suddenly happened without warning. Finally took it to the dealer and service guy said it was PROBABLY only clogged up or maybe needed a new solenoid and would cost about $250 to fix IF it was that--that included the $125 diagnostic fee. Went ahead with the job, but unfortunately they found that the cannister was cracked and the charcoal had spilled out all over the place, so it had to be replaced--a much bigger job at about twice the price. It definitely took care of the problem and in all fairness to the dealer, they did work with us to get the price down a little. If you are mechanically inclined (which we are NOT), then the previous advice sounds like the way to go. It will obviously save you quite a bit of money to do it yourself. I cannot complain about this car, however. It was been GREAT--just turned 130,000 and other than regular maintenance, this is the first "extra" money we have had to spend on it in since we bought it new in '02. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANK YOU all for your input. I will give it a try and see how inclinded I can/am be. Sounds like fun.. but... Again, thank you ALL! lon :right:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this thread is old but Thank you Tibtronic03. I did what you said and boom. My tib filled up at the pump all on its own for the first time in a years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
AWESOME I had a problem filling but also, when I park on an incline and the front of the car sits higher than the rear, I would smell fuel, and I knew it had to be something like this, I am betting at 170k it is original parts and clogged cracked or otherwise I bet this will do the trick, I am going to check it out tomorrow.
Lump

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had a 2003 Tib with this issue, went to the pump and it takes maybe 5 seconds of fuel then clicks off like its full. Took me 30 minutes to fill up. Went down the same path as you guys here, and I agree with the recommendation from tibtronic03 with 1 caveat. I couldn't bring myself to dump all the charcoal out. So after lubricating the old brain box I came up with an alternative solution. Find yourself some steel wool under your sink or at the grocery store. pull it apart some so that it lets some decent light through it. Then tear off a piece about the size of a .50 piece and stuff it in the vent hole where the charcoal is coming out. With just enough steel wool, the air can pass through, but the charcoal will remain in the cannister. Buttoned her all up and the moment of truth at the pump... success!! it was very rewarding. :) Best of luck in your fixes!
-B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts