Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - 2002 Santa Fe GL, Automatic, 113K Miles, all service done at dealership w/ hyundai parts

I was happily driving down the road and car just died on me. I was scared to try to turn it back on due to past traumas and didn't want to fry the engine. I had it towed (no AAA so $150 later...) to my Hyundai dealership/service center and they ran a full diagnostics and electrical check ($140 more). Today they call me and say the news is not good - apparently my balance belt broke, which caused my timing belt to slip, and I think he said there is potential damage to the plugs/valves?? Essentially, he says there is a possibility the engine is toast - but won't know unless he takes the block off and looks into the engine...

The guy mentioned the option of buying a new car at least 5 times...so I have no doubt he could be trying to F*** me...

SO...since I have already spent $300 I don't have and no work has yet to be done - and the fact that this is an '02 w/ 113K on it - I am very hesitant to invest in a new engine. Any other suggestions or experience with this issue GREATLY WELCOME!! Honest mechanic referrals in the SF Bay Area also appreciated ;-)

~C

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Flip a balance belt, blade, crank sensor, and a timing belt on it and see if it fires up and runs ok....

I had a couple slips,,, 1 had a couple bent valves, new head and valves did the job.. another broke on interstate, we reomoved the spark plugs, and could see bottom of oil pan through spark plug holes.. that was a pile of engine parts run through a blender there... exhaust manifold above the catalyst was full of tulips, piston chunks, pieces of valve guides..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts