Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 123K on my Santa Fe 2.7 AWD speedometer, so it’s time to replace timing belt and water pump (I still have it factory installed).

The dealer wants about $800 for the belt only, not sure if tensioner included though. The smaller shops include in this price also tensioner, idler (OEM kit) and water pump. I’m not ready to spend this money now, so I ‘m looking for the way to cut the expenses. The two major components of the equation: approx. $400 labor + $400 parts.

Generally, I’m DIY person, but I don’t have any experience with TB, so it looks a little bit too challenging to me. I’d prefer to buy aftermarket parts (or mix with OE?) and ask for mechanic to install them while accept the fact that there won’t be 12 month warranty (do I need it at all?). Therefore, I can change only the second component of the 'equation' if I buy aftermarket or OE retailer version parts. But I’m not sure if it's a good idea to replace with aftermarket and what brands are most trusted?

I know that many people advise, “just in case”, to buy all timing parts from a dealer since the quality is so critical for an interference engine. Well, the Gates is a proud belt supplier for many car manufacturers including Hyundai. I found timing kit (timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys) on RockAuto just for $76. What’s the difference between the retailer’s TB and the OE version with the Hyundai's price tag of $125? Is the difference in quality so critical? What about the pulleys, have you heard anything bad about the Gates aftermarket bearings? Gates water pump is also inexpensive, just $67 at RockAuto. Do you think that all these aftermarket parts are unreliable and I should buy OE only to be safe? If my Santy will be alive by 180K I anyway will have to replace the belt and pulleys again, but I want to change water pump not earlier than 240K.

I would appreciate very much any advice.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The fact that your belt made it more than twice the distance it was designed to last means you are one lucky guy. I know fellow moderator Byron had an aftermarket timing belt break on his Sonata and I only used Hyundai belts back when I had my '04. The last time I had my '04 timing belt done before I sold it in September, it cost me right around $400 for just the belt so the $800 you've been quoted seems a bit steep unless it includes the tensioner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I forgot to say that I replaced timing belt at 63.5K and I have only water pump still factory installed.

Thanks for your info, I guess I should buy the belt from the dealer. But what do you think about pulleys and water pump?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 11 2010, 03:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370952
The fact that your belt made it more than twice the distance it was designed to last means you are one lucky guy. I know fellow moderator Byron had an aftermarket timing belt break on his Sonata and I only used Hyundai belts back when I had my '04. The last time I had my '04 timing belt done before I sold it in September, it cost me right around $400 for just the belt so the $800 you've been quoted seems a bit steep unless it includes the tensioner.

If I were you I'd only use oem on the internal parts, especially the timing belt. I did a lot of research about the timing belts trying to figure out how far I could push it the first time. Of all the posts I read about broken timing belts, I'd say over 90% of them were using after market belts. And a lot of those barely made it to the year that was guaranteed. I've read many posts of people making it to 100k, and if your car is from california, it's guaranteed to 100k(and they use the very same belt). I got nervous around 82k and replaced it, but looked at the one they took out and it looked like a brand new belt. I know, I know, they can fail at any time even though they look good, but I think I will just run this oem belt I have for as long as this car lasts. I think at 123k, if you replace everything with oem parts, you could just run it til it didn't go any more. When your car gets to around 200k it's value won't be worth much if something goes wrong, so I'd take the chance(but then thats just me). I noticed I'm replying to lovemysantafe, and thats not what I was trying to do.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
OE... the parts come from Hyundai-Kia suppliers meeting Hyundai-Kia specs :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (johnaauld @ Nov 11 2010, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371002
If I were you I'd only use oem on the internal parts, especially the timing belt. I did a lot of research about the timing belts trying to figure out how far I could push it the first time. Of all the posts I read about broken timing belts, I'd say over 90% of them were using after market belts. And a lot of those barely made it to the year that was guaranteed. I've read many posts of people making it to 100k, and if your car is from california, it's guaranteed to 100k(and they use the very same belt). I got nervous around 82k and replaced it, but looked at the one they took out and it looked like a brand new belt. I know, I know, they can fail at any time even though they look good, but I think I will just run this oem belt I have for as long as this car lasts. I think at 123k, if you replace everything with oem parts, you could just run it til it didn't go any more. When your car gets to around 200k it's value won't be worth much if something goes wrong, so I'd take the chance(but then thats just me). I noticed I'm replying to lovemysantafe, and thats not what I was trying to do.
That's allright, your post is quite informative. Thanks for the input, johnaauld. A response from experienced members like you and lovemysantafe is what I was hoping to get avoiding wrong decision :liebe011: . In addition, I've just made an extensive research on some Toyota and Honda forums with similar results: for timing parts OEM only. I have to admit, that aftermarket is more gambling and you, probably can go that way, if you know how to rebuild engine and are ready to do it if the worst happens :grin: I found online retailers of Korean autoparts like FourGreen Auto Parts which sell OEM stuff slightly cheaper than Hyundai dealers, but not much. I've figured out that I could save at best only $100 even if buy from them. So, $800 including TB, pulleys, WP (all OEM) plus 12 months warranty, probably is not that bad willing I or not. Unfortunately, there is no free lunch :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 11 2010, 10:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371035
OE... the parts come from Hyundai-Kia suppliers meeting Hyundai-Kia specs :thumbsup:
Nice pics of rusty engines...I wish I had nicer looking one at that mileage :grin: . You wanted to say that all these TBs were factory installed and made 139-156Ks? That's impressive! Maybe I can wait till 150K too? :grin: I replaced TB and V-belt for the first time at 63.5K at the dealership, I guess in Dec, 2006. A year ago, when replacing alternator (at ~100K), I changed V-belt again. I still have it, it shows same logos like TBs on your pics, Hyundai/Kia/Gates. Still looks like new. So I can expect, that the TB I got is also OEM and a good one too. I've figured out, that the tensioner/idler OE supplier is GMB, but not sure about water pump. Is it GMB...Bosch or some other company?
I would appreciate the info.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I recently did a timing belt/water pump on the wife's Santa Fe. I had never done one before, but since your a DIY'er, you might just try it. Its really not as hard as it sounds at all. the SF had 130K on it, and I replaced the water pump for good measure, even tough the OEM one was in great shape. I bought the belt from Hyundai, the pump from Autozone. it was new and very good quality. Tensioner was OK, and whole job took about 3 hours total, and I have never done one before. Like others, I would buy the belt from Hyundai. It was about $100ish for the belt. Water pump was $80. There is an outstanding tutorial in the sticky section about timing belt replacement. With one minor difference, it was spot on and pretty much step by step.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The pics are of new Hyundai-Kia belt and parts going back together..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts