Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have been reading alot about the speedo needle that jumps on the 2002 elantra gls while driving. My speedo is doing the same thing and I have been told it could be the VSS , the auto trans sensor, the vss sending unit. speedo guage etc. Can anyone out there give me their experience with which sensor to start with or how to test ? I assume they are on the tranny cover which I have not looked at yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I am going to venture you into a speedo head repair..

If I recall, you can grab VSS frequency at the DLC, using a DVOM set to duty cycle Hz or something to that effect, and watch the numbers,, but better watched with occilliscope function on the older Hi-Scan, watch wave form for breaks.

If you see clean duty cycle numbers, then look to farm the speedo head out for repair.. you'll have to search for a repair shop and ask if it a model they can work with.

I had a Toyota speedo go to shop in FL a couple yr ago, and had another shipped to a place out in Ohio, somewhere east of Cincy I think it was

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feed back. Based on some other info I received, I replaced the TSS sensor this am but that did not fix the issue. I will go see if there are stored codes and update this forum. I appreciate all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts