Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not very car savvy, so I've been searching for posts with similar problems but I haven't found any.

Here's what's happening:

- Every time I hit a bump there is a loud clunk, sounds like something hitting the frame of the car. Depending on the size of the bump it may clunk a couple times.

- When it does clunk, I can FEEL something rattling through the floor of the car.

- I believe it's coming from the rear drivers side, but I could be wrong. 95% sure, though.

- It's been happening very randomly since I bought it a year ago. Sometimes it will be just a low rumble, happening for a day then going away for a month. Since the beginning of this week it's been very loud and very frequent, to the point where I'm worried the wheel is just going to fall off while I'm driving.

- I believed it might be the spare tire cage, as it had completely rusted over, so I spent a few hours today removing it, only to find no change in the noise.

- I have been under the car, looking and feeling for any give in any of the suspension, but I cannot find any.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to avoid the mechanic fee.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Maybe still have the "old style" sway bar bushing (bracket is flat strap).. update to the new style bushing and brackets (double rib) for better support.. That old, they going to be a thrill to change, especially if 4wd

Hyundai TSB about 10yr ago noting change of part design

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
likely a suspension issue or something has rotted out and come loose. its impossible to say what without going through the motions of figuring it out, so go get busy.

push down hard on all 4 corners of the car one by one, as it springs back up see if you can hear anything. might just lead you to your problem.

after that get under the thing with a prybar. *gently* but firmly try to pry all joints such as bushings, ball joint, tie rod ends, etc. the idea is to put force on them and check for any play or noise. do be aware of any seals. if you break a seal, you'll be replacing the part.

never know, it might be obvious once you get under the car. usually is.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Forgot, lower ball joint is common replacement also.. Hyundai sell a kit with joint/boot/snap ring in box.. dont let fella try to sell you a bag with just the ball joint in it,, he need to click the box at upper left of screen that shows the kit,,, not the joint down lower adjacent to the arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts