Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my daughter one and am going to go through the car, place fluids, tune up and such and so I have a couple of questions.
Car has 56k miles.

1) when is the timing belt need to be changed?

2) Any known problem areas to look for or parts known to go bad?

3) I am replacing her stereo w/double din Nav system, I have got a harness and speaker adapter. Are stock speakers ok or should those go to?
What do I need to do to get the HU out?
What size speakers, if I need to upgrade?

4) How good are the bakes on these cars?

I have been away and was not there to check the car out, so I know these are things I should have checked before the car was bought, but she really liked the car and the car has a somewhat good reputation.

TIA

·
Registered
378 Posts
I personally think the best time to change the timing belt is at the same time you change the water pump which can be anywhere between 60k and 70k miles. Since you have 56k on there you can change it now if you'd like but best way to tell is to take cover off from over the cam sprocket, which is 4 small bolts holding it on, and check the belt. If it looks like its cracking then go ahead and change it. As for the second it would help to know if auto or manual due to auto usually having more parts and sensors that can go bad. As for the third the stock speakers can work but the aftermarket stereos will eventually blow the speakers. You didn't say what year the tib is so I can tell you that if its 97-01 it should have 6.5in speakers in front and 6x9in speakers in back. The brakes work good if you keep them in good shape. Look at the brake pads and see how thick it is. If its getting on the thin side then replace the pads and check the brake fluid, it may or may not need to be changed. If you think you want to replace the rotors you can get stock replacements at your local parts store for a little cheaper than the dealer. You can always post pics and ask others opinions if your not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and as far as brakes go, I know what to look for, just wanted to see if I needed to upgrade them and as far as knowledge goes, I have been wrenching on cars for over 30 yrs. In the middle of restoring a 70 Cuda.

Car is a 01/auto and that is the extent of what I know about it. Daughter bought it 2 weeks ago and I have been away on business.

Planning on replacing belt now and all fluids, any ideas on pads? I like Hawk on my vette, but I know some pads work better on certain cars then others.

Also, what modding to I have to do, to replace the OEM speakers with aftermarket and what size speakers are in the car now?

Do I have to trim the radio bezel any, to get a Pioneer Avic-Z3 in there?

Again thank for the info and the welcome!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice on the 70 Cuda, there's a 74 Plymouth at one of my jobs that is in excellent condition but I don't have the money. My tib is a 00 so the speakers are going to be the same size. 6.5in up front and 6x9 in back no modding neccessary. The front requires removing the door panels to access the speakers which you don't have to remove the 3 screws at the bottom, they only help hold the door map pocket to the panel, the rear just need a flat screwdriver to pop it loose from the top. If you're going to be adding a sub then I suggest bass inhibitors or blockers for the 4 speakers so there will be little to no distortion when turning the radio up when putting the windows down. As far as the double din system, if you have a stock single din system there is a spot under the original stereo where there is space to put a couple cd's which will have to be removed and as far as I know it will have to be cut off. I've always had a shop install the stereo itself but done the rest myself so I don't know about installing the stereo/nav system. The brake pads I just use original but put drilled/slotted rotors on. For auto's there is a shift solenoid and temp sensor that can go bad and cause problems which is one reason I went with manual. You can check around the forum for other peoples problems and solutions as well as sign up for free at HMAservice.com which is the dealer repair manual online.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts