Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new here & am having issues with my car. I have a 2001 2.4L Santa Fe with around 160K miles & manual transmission. Recently it's been having issues with a rough idle, hesitation while driving, & extremely poor gas mileage. I've already changed the MAF & the TPS, & that cleared up the issues for about a month. Just this weekend, after a long drive out of state, the issues started back up but with no CEL. There are no vacuum line leaks, a new purge valve, new plugs & wires, new air filter... My gas mileage dropped from around 300/tank to around 140/tank. I'm stumped now, any help would be great.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Those cars (2.4 Santa Fe 2001) have a tendency to burn up the catalytic converter. A collapsed cat will make those symptoms. Do you have any codes? Probably not.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new here & am having issues with my car. I have a 2001 2.4L Santa Fe with around 160K miles & manual transmission. Recently it's been having issues with a rough idle, hesitation while driving, & extremely poor gas mileage. I've already changed the MAF & the TPS, & that cleared up the issues for about a month. Just this weekend, after a long drive out of state, the issues started back up but with no CEL. There are no vacuum line leaks, a new purge valve, new plugs & wires, new air filter... My gas mileage dropped from around 300/tank to around 140/tank. I'm stumped now, any help would be great.
If you had a problem that took out your first cat- it is possible it took out your second.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check your fuel pressure regulator. It's the unit at the end of the fuel injector rail with a small vacuum line coming out one side and goes to the intake manifold. It's VERY simple....with the engine running, pull the vacuum hose off the regulator nipple and watch the nipple...if you see a drip of fuel come out your regulator is bad...the diaghram is leaking and causes three issues....incorrect fuel pressure, vacuum leak and raw unmetered fuel going directly into your engine past the throttle body. I fought this on my santa fe and found the solution on this forum....so I tell everyone about it. BTW, the regulator is around $35 on Amazon. Worth it to change even if it's not the problem because after a while it would need changed anyway.

P.S. - I also had done the oil, filter, spark plugs, wires, etc before I found it...and it doesn't trigger the CEL or a code so expensive garages and mechanics computers cannot help with this one....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts