Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i realized yesterday evening my front bumper lip was being dragged on the ground. I snapped it back in place, but noticed 2 or the 8 “clips” or whatever you call them broke off. I had, at times, noticed when parking and there’s a curb, it scrapes it. I’m assuming that’s the culprit.

Unsure if this will hold, but anyone have other suggestions? It’s not even a year old but I wonder if this is even covered by warranty. It held if today on the way to work...

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
You can ask your dealer but I doubt it will be covered. It is damage caused by scraping the curbs or parking lot concrete stoppers, so they will call it driver damage not warranty fault. Even my Sonata Sport at 5.5" bumper lip clearance will sometimes lightly rub a curb if I pull in to far. A lot of the newer cars are borderline in clearance over what used to be normal.

·
22,788 Posts
@Alfred Medina: Yeah, @xaran is correct. First thing the service writer will do is bend down to look underneath. I won’t tell you what he’s looking to find. You probably already know.

As for a fix, I have no idea. Something about the materials used need a special adhesive to bond the together. I think that’s right. Somebody with body work skills let me know.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Shop manual constantly warns of metal clips falling off, claim that can be replaced. But you may find the tabs are broken off and in the female inserts with the metal tabs on them.

Got by with some like this, been able to pry them off, drill an undersized hole, use a small finishing nail, even two and press those in with a hot soldering iron with a two part epoxy glue between the tab and where it sits. Cheaper than buying a whole new part.

If unseen, can drill a hole next to the broken off tabs, and use a stainless steel sheet metal screw.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't think you want to glue it. Just get more fasteners at your local auto parts store, and replace the missing ones. Then make sure you stop before you reach the curb when you park. I had a similar issue when I backed into a pile of dirt with a 2x4 sticking out of it. The black piece at the back was dented for awhile, and a couple of the fasteners came off. I had to find new fasteners that were the same depth and circumference, and replace them. On the package, I'm pretty sure it said "for GM vehicles," but it worked fine. Now I am more careful when I back up. this vehicle sits very low to the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts