Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to fix their wastegate issue without having to replace the entire turbo? If so, what was the cost like and does this have to be done at dealer or can any shop do this work? Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts
Has anyone been able to fix their wastegate issue without having to replace the entire turbo? If so, what was the cost like and does this have to be done at dealer or can any shop do this work? Thanks!
Did you happen to find the remedy for this problem? I just bought the same car a couple weeks ago and the only way I can get the wastegate to function properly is after I've been driving down the road and notice that is not working right I have to pull over and turn the car off and turn it back on even though this seems to fix it temporarily I'm looking for a more permanent solution

·
Registered
972 Posts
Did you happen to find the remedy for this problem? I just bought the same car a couple weeks ago and the only way I can get the wastegate to function properly is after I've been driving down the road and notice that is not working right I have to pull over and turn the car off and turn it back on even though this seems to fix it temporarily I'm looking for a more permanent solution
The ewga has a couple stepper gears in it that multiply torque. More than likely one of the gears have stripped or rounded teeth. You can take it apart and check it, make sure all the gears are intact.

I've replaced a few for others and it's a pretty simple process. Only 3 bolts to remove it from the turbo and one that holds on the wg arm.

You adjust it by tapping the yellow wire and reading the voltage from the ewga that it's feeding to the ecu. Spec is 3.9-4.1v when the engine is cold (this goes off coolant temp).

Circuit component Wrist Gadget Personal protective equipment Auto part

I'll shoot you a message if you want to chat directly.

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts
Yeah but the guy that I've been having to check this out is on vacation I don't have any tools of that nature nor do I know anything about cars really LOL I mean I've managed to fix a 20-year year or older vehicle from time to time but not one this new

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yeah but the guy that I've been having to check this out is on vacation I don't have any tools of that nature nor do I know anything about cars really LOL I mean I've managed to fix a 20-year year or older vehicle from time to time but not one this new
Just wait for him to return. If you purchase a new solenoid and install you'll still need to do the adjustment anyway.

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts
Not the best, but the first one that came up:

The setting can also be checked through the OBDII port.
See if it is set to the proper voltage and go from there.
Is that a thing with these? Where the voltage gets changed or out of adjustment? I try to find a new wastegate online and I keep coming up with all of these different names for it I wish I knew all of them so that I knew what I was looking at

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts
The ewga has a couple stepper gears in it that multiply torque. More than likely one of the gears have stripped or rounded teeth. You can take it apart and check it, make sure all the gears are intact.

I've replaced a few for others and it's a pretty simple process. Only 3 bolts to remove it from the turbo and one that holds on the wg arm.

You adjust it by tapping the yellow wire and reading the voltage from the ewga that it's feeding to the ecu. Spec is 3.9-4.1v when the engine is cold (this goes off coolant temp).

View attachment 463893

I'm going to get the mechanic at my job to check the voltage tomorrow at lunch. I have to run into town to get my food and come back and it's only like 5-10 minutes worth of the engine being on and running Would that be still considered a cool motor?... also is there anything else relatively easy like that that I can have him check while we have the hood up?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
5-10 minutes, the engine will be hot.
Hadn't seen this before, but it was part of the TSB, so whether it needs to be done?
After the adjustment is made, cycle the ignition OFF for 5 seconds and then ON for * 5 seconds, without starting the engine. This must be completed a total of 5 times for the adaptation value to change. If this step is not completed, the voltage will not adapt as described in this bulletin. Adaptation values can only be changed by cycling the ignition key after the adjustment was performed

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hadn't seen this before, but it was part of the TSB, so whether it needs to be done?
After the adjustment is made, cycle the ignition OFF for 5 seconds and then ON for * 5 seconds, without starting the engine. This must be completed a total of 5 times for the adaptation value to change. If this step is not completed, the voltage will not adapt as described in this bulletin. Adaptation values can only be changed by cycling the ignition key after the adjustment was performed
Yeah they revised that for the LF and JF. Keep in mind that this tsb is for an Optima so keep the same spec (3.9-4.1v) when cold for the Sonata.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Rectangle
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Software

Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Screenshot Automotive design

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts
So testing the yellow wire for the voltage is doing the adjustment? I
Yeah they revised that for the LF and JF. Keep in mind that this tsb is for an Optima so keep the same spec (3.9-4.1v) when cold for the Sonata.

View attachment 463961 View attachment 463962
View attachment 463963 View attachment 463964
View attachment 463965
Will these diagrams be okay for a 2014 Sonata

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts
Okay with that being said about the engine being hot then I'm going to wait until this weekend and a friend of mine who is a retired mechanic help me check these things. And if the diagram on this thread will work for my 2014 Limited then we might just try to adjust it while we are testing the voltage.
** I do appreciate everyone's input and help on this, THANK YOU!**

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts

View attachment 463893

View attachment 463893

Trying to find the Facebook link that you sent me the other day I just been so busy that I haven't had a chance to do it

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts
Not the best, but the first one that came up:

The setting can also be checked through the OBDII port.
See if it is set to the proper voltage and go from there.
What is the OBDII port?
I watched the video and I just might try to do this tomorrow instead of putting it into the shop. I will have someone who does know about vehicles with me I'm not sure if he is brushed up on Korean cars but we can give it a shot. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
OBD 2 port is a service port under the driver's side dash where one can see a multitude of information if one has the proper reader..
The person that will be helping you will undoubtedly know about the port.
The voltage check should be done when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
2014 sonata Limited 2.0t
11 Posts
My mechanic said when he checked the voltage on the actuator it was 4.80v or 4.89v and now he has it at 3.9v. The only "sad part" is that I was hitting 100mph when passing someone, that car was a BEAST to drive and now I'm lucky to hit 80mph when passing.. Something seems off is it supposed to be the low feeling? I realize that before it was too much, I get that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts