Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all. Hoping somebody can help me maybe! I have 2013 Sonata with 49,93x miles, bought last February when it had 30k miles. So far no problems until at about 42k, after driving home from work (35 miles on freeway) I noticed my car would make this low pitched grinding “clank” noise while the car idled in park at my parking space. It would make this noise for awhile, stop briefly, and come back, repeating this cycle randomly. I haven’t heard it when I first start the car, but always while idling in park after it’s been driven and warmed up. In my opinion, It sounds like a metal chain dragging on the ground slowly. More recently it’s been getting louder and happening more frequently. It definitely sounds embarrasing if I was sitting in silence with someone inside the car. I do 5k synthetic oil change intravels and have noticed that this car burns a quart every 3k since I’ve owned it. I am aware of the engine recall, but I don’t know if this noise is related or not. The car seems to idle fine, the noise is intermittent over the idle of the engine. I thought maybe ac compressor, but the noise is still there whether the ac or fan system is on or not . I took videos of the sounds but I know I cannot post them here. I’ve been researching but haven’t really found anything that matches the description of the sound it’s making . If anyone has any ideas I’d sure love to hear them! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If you are 2nd owner, take it to the dealership if you are still covered in the 5year/60K warranty. You could also take it in for the inspection as you would still be covered for that recall either way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts