Brake replacement? - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cali
2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
kingaaron is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Brake replacement?

Has anyone replaced their brake pads and rotors?

Brake bleed procedure same as any other car? Anything to look out for with our hybrid?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phftw likes this.
kingaaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NE Ohio
2016 HSH Limited Ultimate
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
NXR71 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have not yet but I am curious as to what mileage you're at. I've seen multiple reports of people saying they went 120,000 miles before the first brake replacement because of the regenerative braking.
NXR71 is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cali
2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
kingaaron is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR71 View Post
I have not yet but I am curious as to what mileage you're at. I've seen multiple reports of people saying they went 120,000 miles before the first brake replacement because of the regenerative braking.


81k and dont need to replace right this minute. Have about 25% life left on front pads. Just wanted to know if this is something we have to go to the stealership for or can we diy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NXR71 likes this.
kingaaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Virginia, USA
Drives 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4l, Drives 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4l
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
kpanasew is an unknown quantity at this point
Did my front pads and rotors at 60k and will be doing rears this summer (price of living in DC). Fronts are easy/standard but rears you'll have to move the lower shock absorber bolt to get one of the mounting bolts out. Procedures below.

http://www.hsguide.net/rear_disc_bra...dures-391.html

If you've done brakes before, this will pretty much be the same procedure.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
kpanasew is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cali
2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
kingaaron is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpanasew View Post
Did my front pads and rotors at 60k and will be doing rears this summer (price of living in DC). Fronts are easy/standard but rears you'll have to move the lower shock absorber bolt to get one of the mounting bolts out. Procedures below.

http://www.hsguide.net/rear_disc_bra...dures-391.html

If you've done brakes before, this will pretty much be the same procedure.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


Thanks a lot thats an awesome guide!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingaaron is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hunterdon County, New Jersey
2014 Hyundai SFS 2.0T 2016 Hyundai HSH Hybrid 2.0
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
MButkus
I don't think I have ever replaced rear rotors in any car, unless they were ruined by the pads. Front rotors go all the time. So the shock and strut only have to be removed if you have to get the rotors off in back, not the pads ?

I was wondering how long the pads would last, only 22K miles on mine. I'll check them in a few months.
MButkus is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cali
2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
kingaaron is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MButkus View Post
I don't think I have ever replaced rear rotors in any car, unless they were ruined by the pads. Front rotors go all the time. So the shock and strut only have to be removed if you have to get the rotors off in back, not the pads ?

I was wondering how long the pads would last, only 22K miles on mine. I'll check them in a few months.


Thats how I read it, if only servicing rear pads no need to remove rear shocks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingaaron is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Virginia, USA
Drives 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4l, Drives 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4l
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
kpanasew is an unknown quantity at this point
That's exactly why I'm replacing my rear discs. There are some deep grooves made by rocks and they're not worth putting on a lathe since the specs are already so tight and barely anyone does turning anymore.

If not changing rotors, make sure you bed them properly with the new pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MButkus View Post
I don't think I have ever replaced rear rotors in any car, unless they were ruined by the pads. Front rotors go all the time. So the shock and strut only have to be removed if you have to get the rotors off in back, not the pads ?

I was wondering how long the pads would last, only 22K miles on mine. I'll check them in a few months.
Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
kpanasew is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Auburn/NH
Drives 2015 Elantra Sport Drives 2011 Sonata Hybrid Summer only 1985 GSL-SE RX-7 Summer only 1974
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
TimNH is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
I just did the fronts on our 2011 Hybrid with 69K. The inner pad on both sides was half what the outer pads were. The left side rotor had deep groves from some type of contamination. The pads on both sides were pretty much stuck in place. So new rotors and ceramic pads and we are good to go. The backs were done at less than 50K. I think the backs work all the time while the fronts don't when reg is working. Braking is greatly improved. So don't rely on pad thickness but over all braking performance. When I checked the rears when I did the fronts, the left side was dragging already. So I cleaned up the pads, re-lubed them and the clip and seems fine now. These brakes need regular cleaning and lubrication.
TimNH is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cali
2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
kingaaron is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNH View Post
I just did the fronts on our 2011 Hybrid with 69K. The inner pad on both sides was half what the outer pads were. The left side rotor had deep groves from some type of contamination. The pads on both sides were pretty much stuck in place. So new rotors and ceramic pads and we are good to go. The backs were done at less than 50K. I think the backs work all the time while the fronts don't when reg is working. Braking is greatly improved. So don't rely on pad thickness but over all braking performance. When I checked the rears when I did the fronts, the left side was dragging already. So I cleaned up the pads, re-lubed them and the clip and seems fine now. These brakes need regular cleaning and lubrication.
Did you go with oem or aftermarket?
kingaaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome