Hyundai Forums banner

2018 elantra smart cruise drving in city

862 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  2014ElantraLOwner 
#1 ·
I have driven for the first time in town today my new 2018 Elantra and tried the smart cruise control to see how it worked.

Set the speed at 50km/h and chose two car lengths for distance.

Worked fine, it slowed down and sped up as expected but when it gets to a light and the front car stops it disengages the smart cruise.

Is this normal?
In utube videos the car would stop and once the front car started moving it would start moving as well.

#2 ·
After researching a bit it looks like the Elantra doesnt have the stop and go feature.
I thought it did. Thats too bad.

It sounds silly that it was the feature that it can follow the car ahead of you but if it stops it disengages when all the technology is already in the car.
It feels like this is a software limitation rather than a mechanical one?

#4 · (Edited)
After researching a bit it looks like the Elantra doesnt have the stop and go feature./QUOTE]

No it does not and Hyundai lost my $$. If you want to have stop-and-go you have to get GT (do not know which package as that car is out from my list due to removal of some safety features in top model).
BUT, not to worry. Even Camry does not have stop-and-go UNLESS you buy the most expensive trim (unless they changed something for 2019 model lineup). Stupid Toyota.

#3 · (Edited)
Yea the limit is 10km/h and then when you start going again just push the up button after your going 10-15km/h and it will continue where you left off. I would have loved to get the start-stop but it was not available at all. I know it was available on some other models in 2018. In city driving I usually push the cancel button when I see a car turning right because I have had the car freak out once before and it wouldn't accelerate and I was almost rear ended. I have not had that happen ever again though.

Also I think the cars with stop go still require you to push the up arrow when the car in front of you starts moving after a stop, but it does everything else by itself.

#5 ·
And here I was thinking that buying the top of the line Limited I would be getting all that Huyndai had to offer... Kinda disapointed really.
Considering that they are features that the car already has all the components that it needs.
It only a software restriction.

Same about the seats, they put the kind that can have airconditioning on them besides the heating, so why not add the air conditioning, otherwise use the proper leather seats...
With Auto High Beam and stop and go feature the car would be pretty much perfect for me. So close, darn...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.