Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives 2010 Sonata GLS 2.4L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bad MAP sensor kills battery? Rattling noise.
2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4L
Four days ago, I noticed several unusual things...
1. The key remote was sluggish. I had to hit the open/close button several times before the door locks actuated.
2. When I started the cold engine, the engine speed went up like normal, but then dipped real low before going back up to something normal and then pulsates between maybe 800 to 1000 rpm. Eventually, the pulsating became less.
3. The time on the dash clock changed by several hours.
4. The mode on the trip odometer changed. It's usually set on gallons/minute, and it was on miles driven.
5. As I drove away it seemed like the car hesitated and then lurched forward.
So after 4 days of not driving the car, today...
1. Checked codes...had a pending code P0106 (MAP out of range).
2. Checked air filter. Was not excessively dirty per manufacturer (K&N), but probably needed cleaning since car has 50,000 miles and it could be the original.
3. Engine started fine, but engine speed pulsed again at idle.
4. I turned on parking lights to see dash gauges better. When I turned parking lights off the pulsing stopped.
5. At some point, I noticed the check engine light.
6. Checked codes again, now I have pending P0106 and a real P0106.
7. Tried to start engine again, and it wouldn't turn over.
8. Remote would lock doors, but horn would not sound when hitting lock button several times. Head lights might be a little dim.
Battery is around 2.5 years old, so it's not too old.
I'll probably take it to a mechanic. If you think you know the problem, please let me know.
I've been having another annoying problem for months, but I don't think it's related. The engine makes a disturbing rattling noise when at a stop light. The noise is not steady, but undulates or warbles. It doesn't sound like a belt squeal and can only be heard while sitting in the car with the windows rolled up.
The noise seems loudest when the engine is partially warmed up, the AC is on, and I'm holding the car still with the brake at a stoplight. When I release the brake and drive off, the noise immediately goes away.
The noise seems less after the car reaches operating temperature.
When I open the hood, I don't hear the unsteady rattling noise, but I hear a steady valve tapping sound.