Hyundai Service costs! - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Drives new VW Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4TSI BMT. Have just bought a Hyundai i10 SE 1.2 as second car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
HHGTTG is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hyundai Service costs!

Our i10, registered in Dec 2014 but bought the following June, went in for a service last week and was considered this to be the 4 year 40k mile one, our car having done just under 4,000 miles.

We were quoted a cost of something over 300 but on top of that an MOT test had to be added. I didn't book the service or have anything to do with the transactions as it's not my car, so to speak.

The vehicle was duly collected (as arranged and no charge) and was delivered back to us after 5pm. Before this delivery, we were phoned and it was at this point I wished I'd have taken the call. Anyway, it transpires the the dealership said that would like to perform an Aircon service and my partner unfortunately agree without getting my opinion, for whatever that's worth!
Anyway the Card payment was now taken for a total of 512 and the car was delivered back to us about 45 minutes later.

I consider this to be a very expensive service but noticed that wheels were swapped around, plugs replaced and the Aircon system re-gassed (I assume).

I did phone the garage the following day but was told that the person they spoke to late in the day said 'yes' to the Aircon service, adding nearly 100 to that bill.

I'll stick with my VW Golf.

Hyundai i10 1.2 SE in Sleek Silver.
Really belongs to her, indoors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:20 PM

i10 Premium automatic 2015 Polar White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Oldbazza70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I expect to pay more for my 4th service and MOT this April. It's a large service with more checks and replacements than normal, but it protects your warranty.
It's such an old trick to phone and ask for extra work to be done and it's my policy always to refuse and say I'll have it done later. Even if they're persistent I'd say money is tight at the moment. If any extra work is necessary you can nearly always get it done cheaper elsewhere. As for the air conditioning on my last car a Corsa I bought it at two years old and part exchanged it seven years later. The aircon always worked perfectly and was never gassed or cleaned. Surely if the air con is working leave it alone and only pay for servicing and parts that really need attention. If it's any consolation next year will be another small service and at five years old you could take it out of the dealer network and find an independent. Also use the experience to tell the partner the situation and quote your phone number for any problems you learn by experience.

Definition of insanity....Doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Drives new VW Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4TSI BMT. Have just bought a Hyundai i10 SE 1.2 as second car
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
HHGTTG is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbazza70 View Post
Yes I expect to pay more for my 4th service and MOT this April. It's a large service with more checks and replacements than normal, but it protects your warranty.
It's such an old trick to phone and ask for extra work to be done and it's my policy always to refuse and say I'll have it done later. Even if they're persistent I'd say money is tight at the moment. If any extra work is necessary you can nearly always get it done cheaper elsewhere. As for the air conditioning on my last car a Corsa I bought it at two years old and part exchanged it seven years later. The aircon always worked perfectly and was never gassed or cleaned. Surely if the air con is working leave it alone and only pay for servicing and parts that really need attention. If it's any consolation next year will be another small service and at five years old you could take it out of the dealer network and find an independent. Also use the experience to tell the partner the situation and quote your phone number for any problems you learn by experience.
Yes, I should have taken more control of the situation although I don't like interfering in my partner's transactions. Interestingly, regarding the Aircon servicing add-on, I have always thought right from the off that the Hyundai's aircon was never more than adequate compared to my Golf and so maybe it was never at its best after being kept in storage before we bought it 'as new' 6 months later from the main dealership.
Longshot likes this.

Hyundai i10 1.2 SE in Sleek Silver.
Really belongs to her, indoors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 AM

Apologies I'm thinking in terms of my own arrangements. We ran two cars when we were at work and I took care of both servicing. It seems females are still considered easy pickings when it comes to upselling on servicing. I did get caught once on her Tigra I was asked did I want the rear brake shoes deglazed as the drums were off. Of course I said thinking nice of them to be so thorough and rub a bit of emery paper over them. Then when I got the bill there was half an hour labour put on. I told the service manager what I thought of them.
I sat in one waiting area listening to two blokes constantly on the phone pushing brake fluid and antifreeze changes. At least your partner will know next time.
This major service is only every four years and likely the car will be changed before it gets to the next one. All makes of cars are different on servicing, parts prices, capabilities, comfort, drivability and it all depends on what we like whe we buy.
I find the i10 aircon does it's job and mine will be left until it doesn't.

Definition of insanity....Doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:10 AM

Drives 13 Elantra GLS Pref Package Drives 12 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
armtdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Best bet is to look at the owner's manual. You only need to do the services that state (R) replace. All others are inspections and not required. never ever go to a dealer and say do the 7,500, or 40,000 mile service. or you will always be looking at $300-600 when all you need is less than 100 for oil change and filters. Air filters are so easy you can do them yourself!. Instead look at the maintenance schedule and tell them I only want these services and at 40,000 miles oil change, filter, air and cabin maybe needed depending on when last replaced, rotate tires if needed and that is about it. Please please look at the maintenance schedule in the manual. Plugs did not need replacing at 40,000 miles. They are 60,000-100,000 look in the manual.
Longshot likes this.

Last edited by armtdm; 12-17-2018 at 08:13 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:43 AM

I can agree with a lot of that as our yearly MOT inspections in the UK cover all the safety aspects. However with the Hyundai five year warranty they will want proof of servicing. Also the dealers like to see a proper service history when appraising your car for a part exchange. Your system of thinking I applied to my wife's car and it worked well and kept the costs down and we sold it as a good runner when it was sixteen years old. Maybe I might end up doing that with our Hyundai if we still have it after the warranty runs out.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Suzuki Vitara 1.6 SZ-T - 2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid 150bhp
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
frupi is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, so our i10 has gone, but had we kept it, I had already made up my mind that after the 3rd year paid up service we bought at point of sale, it wasn't going back to the dealership because the servicing costs are, in my opinion, horrendous for such a small car.

As for having a full dealership service history, well that doesn't always have the desired effect either as we found out when we chopped our i10 in for the Vitara. The Suzuki dealership, which is part of a large multi-marque operation saw we were handing over a very well looked after, just 3rd serviced and MoT'd car fitted with new discs and pads all round, and promptly offered us less than Webuyanycar.com. Thankfully, I was forearmed with the guaranteed cash price from WBAC and in order for Suzuki to sell us the car we wanted, they had little option but to match it with a bit extra on the top. I could have got a lot more for the car if I had sold it privately, but I just cannot be bothered with private buyers phoning up at all hours, tyre kicking and then wanting the car for even less than you'd get PXing it.

Regarding the aircon, yeah something that dealerships seem to be pushing in a big way, even moreso now that the newer cars are using the new HFO-1234yf refrigerant, a big moneyspinner for them. Our Vitara uses the newer aircon gas. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it gets cold, it won't be getting 'serviced'. Our car aircon is set to come on automatically anyway, so it's used every single day, so no chance of the seals drying out. And no, it doesn't affect the mpg that much using it.

Anyway, I've got 'er indoors trained enough now not to agree to anything 'extra' being done to the car should she get one of those desperate phone calls from the dealer. Since we've had the Vitara, she's had at least 3 phone calls from the dealership HQ asking her if she wants to buy GAP insurance. I was present when she took the last phone call and she dealt with the idiot on the end of the phone in a very robust manner lol! She's not had another call since!

One final part regarding dealership servicing concerning warranty and recalls. Obviously you don't have to have a franchised dealership service the car to keep it in warranty, as long as the garage you use are VAT registered and use genuine parts, then EU Block Exemption rules apply. With regard to actual recalls, easy enough to check: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Obviously my comments above are very UK centric, I cannot speak for markets outside of the UK.
Longshot and Oldbazza70 like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:55 PM

To me part exchanging and "doing the deal" is a game a bit like poker. They don't really want your car, but if it's not destined for the auctions and they want it on the forecourt they intend to make a bit of money on it. I usually check on line for the retail price of the car I want and take away the good part exchange price. Whatever figure they put on the screen I take that figure away and that's my target to pay. If you have your figure right they'll buckle when you get up to leave and you'll get the "I'll ask my manager" gambit. The time of year helps too I bought last year in late November. My premium was sat next to an SE at identical price, but mine had a car of the week sticker on the roof. 500 quid off that week and I got the autotrader valuation for my Corsa.
Not having a book full of stamps and receipts gives them something to dig at your strategy with. We all have our buying habits and mine is to buy two years old and keep for between five and seven years. I last bought a new car in 1990 to me you lose too much in the first years. I prefer to get one that someone has been throwing his PCP money at. Gap insurance is a laugh 75 on line.
Webuyanycar don't give what they quote. Hard nosed "negotiators" pick you to pieces when you travel miles to get there.
Longshot and frupi like this.

Last edited by Oldbazza70; 12-17-2018 at 03:01 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:37 PM

2018 I10 premium se auto
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Gary T is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to admit to doing what I do not usually do and taking the 'service pack' with the car this time.

I have traditionally done my own, but finding it more of a strain these days. I ummed and ahh'ed with the sales man saying I would like it but cannot justify the cost and he allowed me a couple of freebee's with the car that off set a considerable amount, around 200, so I eventually took it, as includes the MOT's.

Also, the dealer service includes software updates and sat/nav updates.
Aircon is done with a local mobile guy for 30, so I will not be having that.
I just hope it will not be too stressful telling them 'no, just do the service' or in other words, stamp the book and I will do the rest. Feeling lazy, but age is catching up.
Longshot, frupi and Oldbazza70 like this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:44 AM

Suzuki Vitara 1.6 SZ-T - 2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid 150bhp
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
frupi is an unknown quantity at this point
Software updates, yes, I admit, sometimes there are some, however for our previous 2015 i10, I don't believe any software updates were applied in the 3 paid up services it had because as far as I know, there were no known issues affecting the car. Our previous Fiat 500's however, were a different story, both as far as I know required software updates, as did my Saab 9-3 in the first couple of years when bought new. Some software updates may well improve performance issues, but I guess an owner will only know whether or not this is the case if they actually bother to get a dealership service done, and after the first 2 or 3 years, many never ever bother.

As for Satnav updates, only any good getting a dealership satnav update if it is a hard disc drive. Many inbuilt infotainment systems incorporating a satnav, use a nav SD card and once that has been sent out with the car from the factory, it's entirely down to the owner to organise any updates as we found out with our Vitara. The SD card on that is at least two years out of date and I refuse to buy another SD card from Suzuki at a truly ridiculous cost. Yes, I've seen SD cards available on the auction sites for a 'cheap price', but I'm not convinced that they are at all 'genuine'.

Map updates may not mean a great deal to some owners, but our car is on the M1 almost every single day and several changes have occurred on the M1 through the East Midlands section in the last two years. There's nothing more annoying than having a nav screen that suddenly doesn't reflect the road you're travellling on because extra carriageways or new junctions have been added. This is precisely the reason why we don't actually use the car's built in Satnav. We use a TomTom GO5000 which includes 4 free map updates per year. The only issue we had with that on the last update, was I had to put a 32gb micro SD card in it because the UK/Europe mapping has now got too big for the internal memory. Plus of course we get 'live traffic' updates because the TomTom has a built in sim card. I wouldn't be without the TomTom as we also take it abroad on our visits to the USA and South Africa, saves hiring one from the car rental company. I no longer have the will to look at a paper map lol! I hardly need to think these days navigating my way through Cape Town in rush hour! Plus another benefit of having a portable satnav, is that you can stick it on the window or on a dash mount right in front of your face, so there's no distractions looking down to the dash if that is where the inbuilt infotainment is.
Longshot and Oldbazza70 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in