Hyundai Forums banner

"auto" Headlights Staying On

24K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jbrams 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced an issue with the automatic headlights staying on after the car is turned off and is in park?

I have about 1k miles on the car and I've noticed that in the evening, the headlights will not shut off after I park the car. This will happen maybe 3 or 4 times already, but it happened twice today. Is there something that I am not doing in order for them to shut off? I have been toggling them to "on" and then back to "automatic" in order for them to shut off. Is this a common issue?

Pardon me if this has been mentioned. I read a thread about accessories staying on - but my radio turns off fine, it's just the headlights that stay on.

#2 ·
QUOTE (blueanxiety @ Jul 26 2011, 10:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481613
Has anyone experienced an issue with the automatic headlights staying on after the car is turned off and is in park?

I have about 1k miles on the car and I've noticed that in the evening, the headlights will not shut off after I park the car. This will happen maybe 3 or 4 times already, but it happened twice today. Is there something that I am not doing in order for them to shut off? I have been toggling them to "on" and then back to "automatic" in order for them to shut off. Is this a common issue?

Pardon me if this has been mentioned. I read a thread about accessories staying on - but my radio turns off fine, it's just the headlights that stay on.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they stay on 90 seconds after the car is shut off. I believe this is an option that is turned on by default, but I think there is a way to change this, I think by holding down the TRIP button for 5 seconds, which brings a menu.

Is this correct?

#4 ·
QUOTE (Hbk5585 @ Jul 26 2011, 10:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481616
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they stay on 90 seconds after the car is shut off. I believe this is an option that is turned on by default, but I think there is a way to change this, I think by holding down the TRIP button for 5 seconds, which brings a menu.

Is this correct?
You have different time settings that can be used.

#5 ·
QUOTE (blueanxiety @ Jul 26 2011, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481613

The headlight delay is probably active and can be turned off using the settings displayed on the trip screen...you can look this up in the owner's manual and turn the delay off.

#6 ·
With the switch in auto mode; If you shut off the engine and stay in the car, I believe the lights will stay on for 20 minutes. If you open and close the drivers door I think they go off 20 seconds later. If you set the alarm with the remote, pushing set twice, they go off right away. I may be off a little with the times, but I think that is the basic operation of it.

#7 ·
QUOTE (bkim @ Jul 26 2011, 10:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481620
The headlight delay is probably active and can be turned off using the settings displayed on the trip screen...you can look this up in the owner's manual and turn the delay off.
Duh - that explains it. I was reviewing the menu settings this morning. I must of accidentally clicked it and selected it when I was viewing the options today.

Thanks!

#8 ·
QUOTE (blueanxiety @ Jul 26 2011, 08:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481659
Duh - that explains it. I was reviewing the menu settings this morning. I must of accidentally clicked it and selected it when I was viewing the options today.

Thanks!
The manual explains the standard times and (as above) how to change the setting. Basically, with auto-on, they stay on when you turn the car off for 30 seconds or until you arm the alarm (double press the lock button on your remote). If they are left "on" they stay on for 20 minutes then turn off automatically to save the battery from draining (the manual explains how to keep them on longer if you want).

So, yes, normal behavior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.