Speedometer Calibration - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Member
 
cash86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cash86
(Thread Starter)
Been playing around with new wheel choices for my GLS. One of the stats I see all over is speedometer reading difference. Wondering if anyone knows if the different trim levels have different calibration based on wheel size. Is it configured by the car on the assembly line? Is there a separate configuration used for SE's w/ 18"? 17"? How does this work?
cash86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC USA
2011 Sonata GLS MT
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fox Mulder is an unknown quantity at this point
As long as proper "plus sizing" for the tires is maintained when changing wheel sizes, the rolling circumference of the wheel/tire assembly shouldn't change significantly and no recalibration is required. You can use this calculator to compare tire sizes and determine the change in circumference between them-
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html
Fox Mulder is offline  
#3 Old 06-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
13SonataScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
2013 YF 2.0T Limited P. & Optima SE V6
Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
13SonataScott is an unknown quantity at this point
QUOTE (cash86 @ Jun 5 2011, 09:06 AM)
Quote:
Been playing around with new wheel choices for my GLS. One of the stats I see all over is speedometer reading difference. Wondering if anyone knows if the different trim levels have different calibration based on wheel size. Is it configured by the car on the assembly line? Is there a separate configuration used for SE's w/ 18"? 17"? How does this work?
All of the YF tire/wheel packages from the factory are close to the same diameter. I use a ScanGage and GPS to have a secondary speedometer which is pretty accurate. Using it's data I know that the cars speedometer would be most accurate with tires measuring about 26.9 inches in diameter.
13SonataScott is offline  
#4 Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Member
 
SharkyZiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SharkyZiff
QUOTE (Scott2011 @ Jun 5 2011, 01:54 PM)
Quote:
All of the YF tire/wheel packages from the factory are close to the same diameter. I use a ScanGage and GPS to have a secondary speedometer which is pretty accurate. Using it's data I know that the cars speedometer would be most accurate with tires measuring about 26.9 inches in diameter.
The stock 18" wheel tire size is 225/45/18. The diameter would be 25.97 inches

The plus 18" tire size some forum members are using is 245/45/18. The diameter would be 26.68

Are you saying the larger tire size is actually more accurate than stock?
SharkyZiff is offline  
#5 Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
13SonataScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
2013 YF 2.0T Limited P. & Optima SE V6
Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
13SonataScott is an unknown quantity at this point
QUOTE (SharkyZiff @ Jun 5 2011, 04:27 PM)
Quote:
The stock 18" wheel tire size is 225/45/18. The diameter would be 25.97 inches

The plus 18" tire size some forum members are using is 245/45/18. The diameter would be 26.68

Are you saying the larger tire size is actually more accurate than stock?
My original Limited 17's are 26.3" diameter. My correction factor for speedometer error is + 2.5%. 26.3 x 1.025= 26.9575".
13SonataScott is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome