heater/ac blower not working 2002 Sonata GL - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Richey, Fl
Drives 2002 Sonata Drives 2001 Sonata
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lnfarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lnfarr
(Thread Starter)
heater/ac blower not working 2002 Sonata GL

My blower settings are numbered 1 - 4. Recently the 1 setting stopped blowing. If I have it on 2,3 and 4 everything is good.
If I have it on 1 I can push on the knob and it will kick on. But lately that isn't working and the blower wont come on. Sometime it will come on in a second or two later, sometimes it will come on when i drive down the road. It doesn't seem to matter if its hot or cold out. I have replaced the blower motor and that worked for a few months now I think it might be in the control head. Any ideas?
If I replace it, how hard is it to remove and what is the procedure to get that control head out of the dash? I can't find any instructions anywhere to get it out!
Lnfarr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
johnaauld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
2003 2.7 Santa Fe 2001 3.0 Z3
Posts: 1,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
johnaauld is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfarr View Post
My blower settings are numbered 1 - 4. Recently the 1 setting stopped blowing. If I have it on 2,3 and 4 everything is good.
If I have it on 1 I can push on the knob and it will kick on. But lately that isn't working and the blower wont come on. Sometime it will come on in a second or two later, sometimes it will come on when i drive down the road. It doesn't seem to matter if its hot or cold out. I have replaced the blower motor and that worked for a few months now I think it might be in the control head. Any ideas?
If I replace it, how hard is it to remove and what is the procedure to get that control head out of the dash? I can't find any instructions anywhere to get it out!
I believe it's the switch itself that you are pushing on. I have read this is a common problem.
johnaauld is offline  
#3 Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Richey, Fl
Drives 2002 Sonata Drives 2001 Sonata
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lnfarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lnfarr
(Thread Starter)
thanks johnaauld i'll look into that, but my real problem is how to get to it. I am usually very good at figuring these things out but can for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to get to the unit in the dash. No screws that i can see and just do not want to just start prying things! the Hyundia site by Hyundai has nothing i can find on this other than electrical layouts.
i reread my question and i should clarify, the part of my statement that about not working on 1 was the start, it now doesn't work on any setting. sometimes come on and sometimes does,t as i explained. sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Lnfarr; 11-15-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Lnfarr is offline  
#4 Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
johnaauld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
2003 2.7 Santa Fe 2001 3.0 Z3
Posts: 1,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
johnaauld is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfarr View Post
thanks johnaauld i'll look into that, but my real problem is how to get to it. I am usually very good at figuring these things out but can for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to get to the unit in the dash. No screws that i can see and just do not want to just start prying things! the Hyundia site by Hyundai has nothing i can find on this other than electrical layouts.
i reread my question and i should clarify, the part of my statement that about not working on 1 was the start, it now doesn't work on any setting. sometimes come on and sometimes does,t as i explained. sorry for any confusion.
Your switch is bad, you just need to replace it. Here is a link to do it:

Dash Remaval Out Of 2004 Sante Fe
johnaauld is offline  
#5 Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
13SonataScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
2013 YF 2.0T Limited P. & Optima SE V6
Posts: 2,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
13SonataScott is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem. A used switch module found on ebay fixed the problem. I paid $16. delivered.
13SonataScott is offline  
#6 Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Richey, Fl
Drives 2002 Sonata Drives 2001 Sonata
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lnfarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lnfarr
(Thread Starter)
Thanks again johnaauld and lovemysantafe for the the removal link. But i have a 2002 Sonata and the ashtray is totally different and it's on a damper system to push in and out with an inset for the actual ashtray. It is part of the dash and no ovious way to take it out, so if there are 2 screws behind there i can't get to them. i just need to figure out where to start.
Lnfarr is offline  
#7 Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
johnaauld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
2003 2.7 Santa Fe 2001 3.0 Z3
Posts: 1,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
johnaauld is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfarr View Post
Thanks again johnaauld and lovemysantafe for the the removal link. But i have a 2002 Sonata and the ashtray is totally different and it's on a damper system to push in and out with an inset for the actual ashtray. It is part of the dash and no ovious way to take it out, so if there are 2 screws behind there i can't get to them. i just need to figure out where to start.
Sorry, I pulled the santa fe dash removal link I had , not the sonata.
johnaauld is offline  
#8 Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Richey, Fl
Drives 2002 Sonata Drives 2001 Sonata
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lnfarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lnfarr
(Thread Starter)
doesn't anyone know how to get to get the control head out of the dash board on a 2002 sonata! please help.
Lnfarr is offline  
#9 Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
 
13SonataScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
2013 YF 2.0T Limited P. & Optima SE V6
Posts: 2,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
13SonataScott is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfarr View Post
doesn't anyone know how to get to get the control head out of the dash board on a 2002 sonata! please help.
The Sonata's dash bezel snaps in with 4 tabs, one approximatley in each corner. That whole assembly from just above the hazard switch, to just above the ashtray is what I'm refering to. You can use a plastic automotive trim tool (google it if you don't know what they are) to help get in between the openings and pry it out, little by little. Once it is off in one piece (I don't believe there are any screws) you will see the 4 screws that hold the climate control module to the dash.
If you can't get the bezel off, you might consider going to a car audio installation shop and slipping them a $10-spot to get you started. It will take them about one minute.
Here is a link to an exploded view. See part #16:
Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life

Last edited by 13SonataScott; 11-18-2012 at 08:34 PM.
13SonataScott is offline  
#10 Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Richey, Fl
Drives 2002 Sonata Drives 2001 Sonata
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lnfarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lnfarr
(Thread Starter)
Thanks a bunch i finally got it out!
Lnfarr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome