Serpentine Belt Tensioner Issue, Help! - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chunky515
(Thread Starter)
Smile

helllo im new to hyundai, i just brought a 2001 hyundai sonata 2.5 v6 model. and alternator just went out >.<

i gotten both top and lower bolt on the alternator removed/loosen up but i cant get the belt off,

is there certain way i can loose up the serpentine belt tensioner or is there special tool i have to use?

thanks alot for replying! thanks!

i really need to get this fix because its my daily driver as of now, and weather is getting colder each day....
chunky515 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
sbr711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: hiding from those who might be looking for me
I dont own Hyundai car, I drive everybody else Hyundai during day
Posts: 8,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
sbr711 is an unknown quantity at this point
QUOTE (chunky515 @ Nov 22 2010, 12:36 PM)
Quote:
helllo im new to hyundai, i just brought a 2001 hyundai sonata 2.5 v6 model. and alternator just went out >.<

i gotten both top and lower bolt on the alternator removed/loosen up but i cant get the belt off,

is there certain way i can loose up the serpentine belt tensioner or is there special tool i have to use?

thanks alot for replying! thanks!

i really need to get this fix because its my daily driver as of now, and weather is getting colder each day....
There is 2 style tension arm... 1 has a 3/8 square toward the end where you use the square on a long 3/8 ratchet to pull arm down and remove belt... other style has no hole, so you use a 17mm open end wrench on the square end of the arm... use a LONG 17mm, too much spring for a short wrench.

Where are you getting replacement alternator ? Hyundai changed design, so if you go that way, you will need to use the 37111 belt with it due to changed pulley diameter.

Look at the upper mount (iron) with 2 bolts to cylinder head... loosen them 2 bolts so mount wiggles, then get all the bolts back in to hold alternator in place, then tighten all the bolts.

<--- please fill in the 'location' and 'what you drive' boxes on your personal profile page.
This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
sbr711 is offline  
#3 Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chunky515
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 22 2010, 05:54 PM)
Quote:
There is 2 style tension arm... 1 has a 3/8 square toward the end where you use the square on a long 3/8 ratchet to pull arm down and remove belt... other style has no hole, so you use a 17mm open end wrench on the square end of the arm... use a LONG 17mm, too much spring for a short wrench.

Where are you getting replacement alternator ? Hyundai changed design, so if you go that way, you will need to use the 37111 belt with it due to changed pulley diameter.

Look at the upper mount (iron) with 2 bolts to cylinder head... loosen them 2 bolts so mount wiggles, then get all the bolts back in to hold alternator in place, then tighten all the bolts.
yes i have the arm with no 3/8 square opening, i dont think i see a spot where i can put a 17mm open end on the tensioner...

im just purchase the replacement alternator from autozone, would i still need a new belt? i looked at current belt, it looks ok but i might just get a new belt anyway, its about $20 bucks. and do i need to remove the tension pully off to replace the belt? dont look like there is much room to slid the belt in the pully.

i think my upper mount to locate the alternator is only 1 bolt, i havent mess with it yet, both alternator bolt is lose, this tensioner thing is giving me major headic >.< maybe im used to the 4 bangers, which is far easier to work on, thanks alot for the help!!!

ill try to take a pic of the tensioner on my car again.
chunky515 is offline  
#4 Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chunky515
(Thread Starter)
im sure this is the one ur refering to 3/8 ratchet style one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gates-Belt-...sQ5fAccessories

here is few pics i took to give you guys better under standing, maybe its my bad luck i got the special tensioner lol







rear bolts are lose except for the upper mount.

chunky515 is offline  
#5 Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
sbr711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: hiding from those who might be looking for me
I dont own Hyundai car, I drive everybody else Hyundai during day
Posts: 8,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
sbr711 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in prpcess of 60,000 service... here is tensioner with square, and also pic of how to place wrench on end.

You have to loosen the 2 mounting bolts on tension body to allow it to come away from timing belt cover enough so you can slip belt over the pulley..

Your e-bay is of the later style, easier to work with.. as to the belt... check pulley diameters.. Hyundai change to a new style alternator with a smaller pulley for more power at low speed, so with smaller pulley, you need a shorter belt to go along with the new alternator' smaller pulley.. new alternator came along with 2003 production I think it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0679.JPG (123.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0680.JPG (133.8 KB, 130 views)

<--- please fill in the 'location' and 'what you drive' boxes on your personal profile page.
This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
sbr711 is offline  
#6 Old 11-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chunky515
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 23 2010, 11:30 AM)
Quote:
I am in prpcess of 60,000 service... here is tensioner with square, and also pic of how to place wrench on end.

You have to loosen the 2 mounting bolts on tension body to allow it to come away from timing belt cover enough so you can slip belt over the pulley..

Your e-bay is of the later style, easier to work with.. as to the belt... check pulley diameters.. Hyundai change to a new style alternator with a smaller pulley for more power at low speed, so with smaller pulley, you need a shorter belt to go along with the new alternator' smaller pulley.. new alternator came along with 2003 production I think it was.
omg thank you very much, picture speak a thousand words! how come i didnt even think about place it at end of the tensioner lol. so i would need get the belt for the 2003 sonata v6 if the new alternator pully is smaller than my oem one? if not just re-use same belt?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there spot i can rep you sir?
chunky515 is offline  
#7 Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC USA
2005 tucson
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wilfol1 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks,
I found my answer here.
wilfol1 is offline  
#8 Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Old Bridge/NJ/US
Hyundai Sonata 2000
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
StevenN218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello,
I need to change my serpentine belt on my Hyundai Sonata 2000 2.5 liter engine and am having trouble finding the mounting bolts on the tensioner body to remove it enough away from the timing bolt cover so I can slip the serpentine belt off and slide the new one on. Can some please take pictures of them and post? Do I have to loosen these mounting bolts or can I just loosen the tensioner enough? Feel free to give me any other advice you may have.
With Peace,
Steven Nuzzo
StevenN218 is offline  
#9 Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
sbr711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: hiding from those who might be looking for me
I dont own Hyundai car, I drive everybody else Hyundai during day
Posts: 8,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
sbr711 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wrap your hand around the big end of the tensioner body, 2 bolt..

Light and mirror be of value to get visual too

<--- please fill in the 'location' and 'what you drive' boxes on your personal profile page.
This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
sbr711 is offline  
#10 Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Old Bridge/NJ/US
Hyundai Sonata 2000
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
StevenN218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you!
StevenN218 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome