Tucson Fuel Consumption Issues (diesel model only) - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 01-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ginger baker
(Thread Starter)
<_< hi ginger baker new tucson owner since nov 24th findin fuel consumption around town only 21 mpg seems bad for a common rail diesal any one out there any ideas <_<
ginger baker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Member
 
Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scorpio
Quote:
Originally posted by ginger baker@Jan 2 2005, 03:16 AM
[b]<_< hi ginger baker new tucson owner since nov 24th findin fuel consumption around town only 21 mpg seems bad for a common rail diesal any one out there any ideas <_<
[snapback]4304[/snapback]
In my country the car magazine "autoweek" has a tucson CRDI in a endurance test
initially it consumed a lot
two weeks ago they drove it for 24 hours only stopping to change drivers, at that time consumption was almost equal to some other CRDI cars in the test who were lighter in weight

there is hope
Scorpio is offline  
#3 Old 01-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
weebrian
Quote:
Originally posted by ginger baker@Jan 2 2005, 12:16 PM
[b]<_< hi ginger baker new tucson owner since nov 24th findin fuel consumption around town only 21 mpg seems bad for a common rail diesal any one out there any ideas <_<
[snapback]4304[/snapback]
I bought my crtd about the same time as you and have been disappointed by the MPG although it isn't as bad as you quote. I get about 35 mpg on a combined run. I've just found out that the mpg raeding on the trip computer is calibrated in US gals. !!
weebrian is offline  
#4 Old 01-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ukjim
hi guys,

Me too. Disappointed with the MPG of my Tucson 2.0 CTRD CDX (Manual).
I have also just learnt from my dealer about the average fuel consumption computer being rated in US Gallons as opposed to UK Gallons, but even so the highest MPG I have managed to get it to read in about 2 months driving is 22.1 (but usually around 21.7).

1 US Gallon = 0.83267 UK Gallons, or the other way around
1 UK Gallon = 1.20095 US gallons,
in other words a UK gallon is more liquid than US gallon, so

22.1 miles per US Gallon divide by 0.83267 = 26.54 miles per UK Gallon

Now, that is out of town driving along a good straight B road, and down the A1 to work about 16 miles and back each day, on cruise at about 70mph, without air-con.

Each time I fill to the brim from completely empty which costs about £45 quid (about 50litres), 50 litres = 10.99 UK gallons
This sounds about right because the fuel tank capacity is stated as 58 litres.

Ok lets totally ignore that American MPG computer.
Each tankful does me only just over 300 miles!
Lets be kind and say 320 miles this fill-up, and that I only needed 10 gallons for the fill up. That gives 32 miles per gallon, which seems a far cry from the brochure quoted 39.8mpg Combined driving, and the quoted Extra Urban figure of 47.9 gallons.
I think I am actually getting more like 28-30mpg. Surely I should be at least a little bit closer to the Combined figure.

That just doesn't sound right to me. Yes, I can read the small-print in the brochure which says "The results given above do not express or imply any guarantee of fuel consumption..."

Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of vehicle and I need to be more conservative when driving an SUV? I don't thrash it, but perhaps I can be easier on the throttle and keep the revs between 1500 and 2500 through better gear changing.

I will be keeping a close eye on it now, because filling up at £45 a go four times a month for 300 miles worth is not what I expected! I chose the Diesel because I thought it was going to be economical.

My dealer has checked the fuel emissions and says its fine. The engine sounds fine. Apparently the ECU (Engine Control Unit) is all computer managed and cannot be fine tuned manually in any way to make a leaner injection of fuel. Is that right, I don't know enough? They suggested I talk to Hyundai about it, but its interesting to hear you guys having a similar 21 MPG computer reading.
Are you being particularly cautious on the throttle?

I've also reported it to Hyundai Customer Service, so I'll wait to hear what they say. Perhaps there is some mechanical or ECU problem? (I hope so).

Making allowance for the MPG display being in US Gallons I can accept, but when my wallet is saying "Ouch", thats what I believe.

Hmmm. There seems to be a lot of talk about the fuel consumption on this forum.
However - I DO LOVE my Tucson!!!

Jim
ukjim is offline  
#5 Old 01-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
weebrian
Quote:
Originally posted by ukjim@Jan 25 2005, 08:31 PM
[b]hi guys,

Me too. Disappointed with the MPG of my Tucson 2.0 CTRD CDX (Manual).
I have also just learnt from my dealer about the average fuel consumption computer being rated in US Gallons as opposed to UK Gallons, but even so the highest MPG I have managed to get it to read in about 2 months driving is 22.1 (but usually around 21.7).

1 US Gallon = 0.83267 UK Gallons, or the other way around
1 UK Gallon = 1.20095 US gallons,
in other words a UK gallon is more liquid than US gallon, so

22.1 miles per US Gallon divide by 0.83267 = 26.54 miles per UK Gallon

Now, that is out of town driving along a good straight B road, and down the A1 to work about 16 miles and back each day, on cruise at about 70mph, without air-con.

Each time I fill to the brim from completely empty which costs about £45 quid (about 50litres), 50 litres = 10.99 UK gallons
This sounds about right because the fuel tank capacity is stated as 58 litres.

Ok lets totally ignore that American MPG computer.
Each tankful does me only just over 300 miles!
Lets be kind and say 320 miles this fill-up, and that I only needed 10 gallons for the fill up. That gives 32 miles per gallon, which seems a far cry from the brochure quoted 39.8mpg Combined driving, and the quoted Extra Urban figure of 47.9 gallons.
I think I am actually getting more like 28-30mpg. Surely I should be at least a little bit closer to the Combined figure.

That just doesn't sound right to me. Yes, I can read the small-print in the brochure which says "The results given above do not express or imply any guarantee of fuel consumption..."

Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of vehicle and I need to be more conservative when driving an SUV? I don't thrash it, but perhaps I can be easier on the throttle and keep the revs between 1500 and 2500 through better gear changing.

I will be keeping a close eye on it now, because filling up at £45 a go four times a month for 300 miles worth is not what I expected! I chose the Diesel because I thought it was going to be economical.

My dealer has checked the fuel emissions and says its fine. The engine sounds fine. Apparently the ECU (Engine Control Unit) is all computer managed and cannot be fine tuned manually in any way to make a leaner injection of fuel. Is that right, I don't know enough?* They suggested I talk to Hyundai about it, but its interesting to hear you guys having a similar 21 MPG computer reading.*
Are you being particularly cautious on the throttle?

I've also reported it to Hyundai Customer Service, so I'll wait to hear what they say. Perhaps there is some mechanical or ECU problem? (I hope so).

Making allowance for the MPG display being in US Gallons I can accept, but when my wallet is saying "Ouch", thats what I believe.

Hmmm. There seems to be a lot of talk about the fuel consumption on this forum.
However - I* DO LOVE my Tucson!!!*

Jim
[snapback]5456[/snapback]
I concur entirely with you. It sounds as though you are getting about the same return per gallon even with the lightest touch of my size elevens.
I bought the car as a retirement gift to myself, partly on the excellent fuel consumption figures in the brochure. I feel as if I've been "had" by Hyundai and like you I e mailed customer services the other day to that effect. No reply yet despite them promising one within three days. Maybe they are snowed under ?
I'll keep you posted as to their reply. If they ever do.
weebrian is offline  
#6 Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ukjim
Hi Weebrian,

Thanks for the reply.
I've been looking at the ....
Singapore Tucson Forum

It seems this is a common concern by many Tucson owners!

I'll keep y'all posted on when/if I hear from Hyundai UK, and also whether I get any better MPG, perhaps by removing the accelerator

Happy motoring!

ukjim is offline  
#7 Old 01-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
weebrian
Quote:
Originally posted by ukjim@Jan 25 2005, 09:38 PM
[b]Hi Weebrian,

Thanks for the reply.
I've been looking at the ....
Singapore Tucson Forum

It seems this is a common concern by many Tucson owners!

I'll keep y'all posted on when/if I hear from Hyundai UK, and also whether I get any better MPG, perhaps by removing the accelerator*

Happy motoring!
[snapback]5460[/snapback]
Just had a reply from Hyundai. The usual crap about the published figures being only for vehicle comparison ? Not anymore than I would have expected from a large firm but it would have been nice to have received an appology at least. Not even a mention of the trip computer being incorrectly calibrated. I've sent a reply, see what that brings .
Cheers.
weebrian is offline  
#8 Old 01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Atti_5
Quote:
Originally posted by ukjim@Jan 25 2005, 09:31 PM
[b] That gives 32 miles per gallon, which seems a far cry from the brochure quoted 39.8mpg Combined driving, and the quoted Extra Urban figure of 47.9 gallons.
I think I am actually getting more like 28-30mpg. Surely I should be at least a little bit closer to the Combined figure.

[snapback]5456[/snapback]
Hi there,

I converted You figures to SI metrics system (I have a uni degree in mathematics) and I would not complain about that!

First, I think for such calculation one unified system should be used worldwide - and the science introduced the SI system centuries ago. See just Your troubles with US Gallons/ UK gallons. Just hope the US mile is the same as UK mile.

My Hyundai Accent's board computer calculates in liters per 100 kilometers (l/100km) and it is absolutely punctual - altough both computer measured and real consumption are about 10% higher than given in brochures (I have now 6,9 l/100km average during first 3000 kilometers). In wintertime this should be OK.

Anyway I used following numbers:
1 mile = 1,609 km
1 gallon = 3.785 liter

So You 32 miles per gallon gives me [b]7,35 l/100km! (51.488km/3.785l, multiplied by 100, divided through 51,488). according www.hyundai.sk specification Your vehicle should have 7,1 l/100km combined. You are just very slighty above. After some thousend kilometers and win spring this only can be better.

My friend it is a magic, a wonder in positive mind that You achieve such consumption with such a heavy SUV. Even small&light cars, like VW Polo with 1.2-1.4l engine consum in real life about that!

What would be acceptable consumption for You - and for other complainers in this topic - then to move a 2000kg vehicle?

Best wishes, Attila
Atti_5 is offline  
#9 Old 01-26-2005, 06:21 PM
dap
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dap
Send a message via MSN to dap
Thanks, Atti 5. Now I can at least understand the previous messages.
Who can follow all the different measurements in gallons (even a difference in US and UK) and liters and between miles and km.
What age are we gone measure the same way and speak the same language?
dap is offline  
#10 Old 01-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
itza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
itza
Hi Ginge
My New CRTD also low consumption so I had a go at the dealer who told me that the CRD takes a few tankfulls before it starts stretching the miles between gallons. I sure hope it happens soon as diesel prices are not as low as unleaded now and there is no benefit at all, just extra taxation although I am finding everything else AOK.
What about you?
itza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome