Hyundai Forums banner

Rattle And Squeak

55K views 86 replies 44 participants last post by  i30Teto 
#1 ·
I am truly loving my Hybrid Premium Pkg car, except for one thing.

There is a rattle/squeaking noise that comes from somewhere behind me, in the passenger area I am pretty sure. It is hard to track down while I drive and my pregnant wife isn't able to move around the back seat looking for it while I'm driving.

Sometimes I think it is up in the sunroof workings, sometimes on the back platform around the sub enclosure.

It doesn't always happen on rough roads, sometimes just while going around a curve at speed, that's when it sound structural, like it is straining.

Very odd.

Anybody have anything similar?

I'm hoping it is just the headliner not being fully secured in one spot or something. I'm going to ask my dealer to check it if and when the evap sensor part comes in.

#40 ·
I finally got the squeak fixed...had to find a day to leave it for at least a half day! I cannot believe the quiet after the fix nor how much I tolerated that annoyance for this long. Silent driving at last... My fix simply involved a thicker padding on the rails which did the trick.

#41 ·
Thankfully my service guy didn't stop calling hyundai until fially they told him about aother complaints and the bolts. (took all of 3 months) I could have told them about the bolt tightening thing a long time ago, since I saw that on here, but I dont want to seem like the know-it-all.
Thank goodness I dont have to hear that anymore. uuggghhhhh!

#43 ·
I left my car with the dealer for a week and a half, luckly the dealer gave me a loaner car to drive. When I got it back the sqeak was gone, when the temperature dropped from 40s to 20s, some of the sqeak came back. I am going to wait a little to see if it will correct its self. It is only when I drive through a dip or the slight curb into my driveway. Much better than it was. My dealer has been great, they had to call an talk to Hyundai a few times to get options on fixing what was wrong. I have had it back for two weeks now.

#45 ·
My creak sounds like its in the rear seat area. Is this from the pano or is my problem something else?

#46 ·
Drove around in the back seat. The sound I believe is at the top of the headliner, in the rear. Kind of where the headliner meets the rear window. Is this the same issue that you guys had?

#48 ·
I also have the roof creak. The dealer looked at it last fall and said they've ordered special grease and it's been on national back order since. Just checked a few days ago and it's still on back order. What's up with this?

By the way same for the part on the recall for the ready light. Think it was a cable connector.

Has anyone had the same story or is it just my dealer?

#49 ·
Re: Question on squeak or flex noise in panormaic sun roof.

It has now been a while since my dealer fixed my squeak. It has worked!!
He did the felt washers, I think they tried the grease the first couple of times, but after they had it for a week and a half, driving it over all kinds of bumps and dips before they gave it back to me, it has been great!

I will get a squeak when I go through one big dip in my subdivision, but it does not continue to squeak like it did before.

Good Luck.

#51 ·
Trading my 2011 base for 2012 ultimate. Just drove the 2012. The sunroof was so annoying. Every bump it rattled. Dealer said they know the fix and will take care of it before I buy the car. As we see in the forum it does not affect everyone. They would not debadge it though ....

#52 ·
Debadgeing is very easy. Don't mess with dental floss. Go to WW and for $3.36 get 110 yards of 10lb. test trilene and a package of water hose washers for 97 cents. Cut a 20 inch piece of trilene and tie the ends to two washers so you have something to hold on to. Also get a bottle of Automotive Goo Gone. You might have to go to an auto parts store for that. Don't use the regular kind, it might damage the paint. Squirt goo gone on top of the badge and wait a minute. Then slide the trilene under the badge and work it vertically back and forth until the letter or whatever comes loose. If the trilent binds add a little more goo gone. Then scrape off the rubberized adhesive with your fingernail or something else no harder. Wipe off the remainer with the goo gone and then wash off the area to remove all goo gone. It took me only about 15 minutes to do a car once I gave up on the floss and got some trilene. With the remainer of the trilene you can go fishing.

Goo Gone is also great for removing road tar, bugs, etc. Just be sure to wash it all off right away.

#53 · (Edited)
thanks

Thanks for your advise. Things went so much easier today. Didn't really even need the fishing line. after using auto goo gone could just use my hands for the most part. On the 2011, did it with regular goo gone, dental floss, and in the cold. Don't know what made the big difference but it was a snap. Removed the sonta and both blue drive badges. Really want to remove the hybrid badge but am going to wait for a little while. The blue just does not match the black paint....Would like to change out the blue H too but am not sure how to do that. Again, thanks for the advise. BTW: My dog only does things for food reasons..

#54 ·
Hi everyone, my 2012 Limited w/nav Sonata had this rattling problem from day 1. I always thought it was just the nature of the beast. At its yearly service, they told me it has the panoramic glass roof noise issue you described in this forum. They tried adding padding according to Hyundai bulletin but that did not fix the problem. MARK FROM ONTARIO, would you mind sharing with me which dealership in Ontario fixed your problem? I live in Toronto and hoping to use their experience.

#57 ·
The fix is a combination of padding and re-tightening the bolts to spec. They have to install some kind of padding between the mating surfaces of the cross-member, in my case they used the fuzzy side of a velcro strip. Re-tightened to spec and no more noise after 8+ months. My dealer was Streetsville Hyundai.

#60 ·
I have done 2 attempts so far, I got a warranty report from the dealer that reads like this: "metal on metal contact for frame for panoramic sunroof, re & re headliner and install 3M felt tape to affected areas."

Maybe the noise is reduced a bit but problem persists. There is noise on uneven roads, when turning and on incline. When the moon-roof is closed, there is noise and when open there is absolutely no noise. I am taking the car for the 3rd time to the dealership, have not filed a complaint to Hyundai Canada.

The problem is that they won't give me a loaner for the period car is being fixed. I'm tired and don't know what to do, how should I make them pay more attention and the fact that the noise is still there. Your input is precious. I am happy for guys who got their cars fixed, at the same time, I envy them :(

#61 ·
they fixed it

OK, the dealer replaced the glass on my sunroof with the one from a new car...I know strange and now there is no noise. I will drive it more and more to truly see the noise is gone for good. Before this, they had tried all other recommendations from Hyundai Canada.
:)

#62 ·
Hi, I have a 2012 Premium model and have been experience this creaking/squeaking noise for a few weeks. It's really noticeable when I make turns in my underground garage.
Car is due for an oil change this week so will inquire then.
For those who had the situation resolved, was this covered under warranty?

KL
Toronto, On.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.