I have spent the entire morning reading each and every post on this full forum having to do with Seat Belt Warning Chimes - most inquiries were from those who simply didn't want to wear their seat belts, and most responses were "Wear your seat belts!". No problem with that - but not one time did I see a post from someone who had a malfunctioning seat belt warning chime, as I do. Do any of you have any idea what it's like to have to drive everywhere with that chime going off every 3 seconds? Before I get to my actual request, here's some background info:
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe - 3.5L, 4WD
Issue: For the last 5-6 months -[b]with the seat belts fastened - the seat belt warning light (on the dash) has been flashing intermittently, and the chime has been sounding, again intermittently (not in coordination with the warning light on dash) - sometimes the flashing light, sometimes the chiming noise, sometimes neither. Very difficult to see a pattern with this! Very difficult to see what sets it off, or interrupts it. In fact, we really don't know if it's a problem with the driver's side or the passenger side - or neither!
We waited this long to get this fixed because we live on the Oregon coast, and the Hyundai dealer is a 3 hour drive away, and we had our 60,000 maintenance coming up. We have just returned from that service, and here is what the dealer tells us:
* The problem did not occur while the car was being serviced (of course, they never do.)
* The suggested remedy, in such cases, is to replace the entire seat belt assembly, (a $300-400 job) - and even then, there is no guarantee that that would solve the problem.
* The Hyundai service rep "suggested" that regulations kept them from being more helpful, since the issue we were asking assistance with was a safety issue, and some customers just wanted to disable this so they could drive with no seat belt and no seat belt warnings. (Sounds like you guys!) He also "suggested" that there was no easy "disablement" because the govt asked Hyundai to make it difficult to disable!
OK - here are my questions to you:
* Why wouldn't this be a warranty item? Unless I heard wrong, the service rep was saying that "we'd" have to pay $300-$400 to get this fixed, or partially fixed.
* I'm not asking here for a way to disable this system, I'd actually like it work! (Hey, that's different, isn't it!) Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone here? Is there a fix?
* I suspect that the problem may be in the seat belt "receiver" - essentially a malfunction of the connector that is engaged when the belt gets plugged in. One of the two basic "disabling" processes discussed here involves opening the female seat belt receiver section, which I would love to be able to do - But first I must get a set of Torx screwdrivers (have no idea what they are), and then I need to figure out how to find the two screws that are holding that receiver together (I see no screws - but it does look like it may snap apart with a screwdriver - I can feel a place on the bottom where it's possible the 2 screws are located, but it doesn't look accessible, is that where they are - yes/no?)
I'm hoping someone here knows how to fix this problem - it must be nice to get a request from someone who actually wants this device to work, instead of simply disabling it.
Thanks much for your help.