Hyundai Forums banner

06 Elantra Fuel MPG

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mambosoul 
#1 ·
I have an 06 Elantra, I have had it for two years now. As the miles have racked up, the MPG has gotten worse and worse and worse. Some tanks I am down to 13-15 MPG. When I got it in 2009, it was doing 35 on the highway. It has had all of its scheduled maintenance, and then more. The timing belt is new, the ignition cylinder is new, the spark plugs and their wires are new, the air filter is new, the tires are new and in balance, and the air filter and oil are new. All of the normal things that can lead to bad mileage are new and not causing issues. I have taken it to Hyundai, and they can not even explain what is causing this. There are no sensors out, no warning lights, and nothing registers on the computer as being broken. I am absolutely at a loss as to why the MPG is so awful. I do a large amount of city driving, and I have even lightened up on acceleration, and use the brake pedal as little as possible. I don't accelerate above 2500 RPM's now. However, none of this has made a difference, the gas guzzling keeps getting worse and worse. I am a college student, I live on a budget, and the gas is eating into other parts of the budget. Also, the valves have begun clacking and clanking, it is like driving a Sherman tank now. I am not sure why they are getting so noisy. Again, Hyundai had no explanation for this. There is a difference between wear and tear, and poorly built parts. Finally, this 2.0L engine in the 06 is a unique engine. From the research I have done, it is the only 2.0L they have used in the Elantra. In the model year update after mine, they went back to the 1.8 or 1.6L engine. My 02 had the 1.8L and it was a really good little car. I wonder if there is just an inherent problem to the 2.0 and that is why they dropped it from production. All I know, is I would appreciate any suggestions that might help this problem, and the awful clacking of the valves.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.