Hyundai Forums banner

Timing Belt Replacement

64K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  canderson 
#1 ·
I'm approaching 70,000 miles on my '07 Santa Fe GLS. I know that to keep it under warranty, the timing belt must be changed soon.

I researched repairpal.com and learned that $393 to $517 is the estimated range. It would be $633 to $868 to also do the water pump.

For those of you that have replaced yours, does this seem about right?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

#3 ·
PoMan - If reemoe is the original owner, and hence has the 10/100 powertrain warranty, and lets the timing belt go until (ugh) it breaks and crashes pistons and valves, I doubt they'll look very kindly on that.

reemoe - The extra cost being quoted for the water pump seems excessive. I am guessing that you are trying to add two separate jobs. A water pump while you're already in there for the timing belt shouldn't add nearly that much incremental cost to the total job price since much of the labor for one should be covered by the other.

#4 ·
PoMan - If reemoe is the original owner, and hence has the 10/100 powertrain warranty, and lets the timing belt go until (ugh) it breaks and crashes pistons and valves, I doubt they'll look very kindly on that.

Yep, totally agree.

But, things like the transmissions, wheel bearings and other drivetrain components won't 'loose their warranty coverage', regardless of the T-belt change interval. Although I wouldn't put it past a shady Service Adviser to try! :eek:

Joel

#5 ·
I believe the schedule to replace the TB is 60k miles... Also on an "07" the engine is an "interference" type engine... If the belt breaks the engine is trashed and Hyundai like KIA won't cover ANY of the repair. I see on kia-forums all the time posters who did not replace the timing/cam belts crying about the costs because they didn't perform required routine maintainence on their cars...
The water pump usually can wait till the second belt is replaced (120k)..If it is not leaking... Have the mechanic check the pulleys and the tensioner ass'y also...as if they fail the belt will slip or break and it's engine time...
BTW the belts usually fail around 70~85k miles so you are sitting on a time bomb.
Dave

#9 ·
Also on an "07" the engine is an "interference" type engine... If the belt breaks the engine is trashed and Hyundai like KIA won't cover ANY of the repair.
you are sitting on a time bomb.
+1

Non-interference engines are the exception rather than the rule... a handful of Fords and not much else. And yes, you'd better believe that the damage caused by a broken timing belt will not be covered under warranty. Especially if it occurs after the recommended inspection/replacement interval. I'd get it done without delay.

For the benefit of other readers, we are talking about the older 2.7 engine only. The newer 2.4, 3.3 and 3.5 engines all use timing chains.

#7 ·
Actually, this particular motor is scheduled to have TB changed at 75k or 60 months, so OP is right on time.

I was wondering if the price quoted included the belt tensioner. I think this particular motor has a funky tensioner which should be replaced. Water pumps should be okay for a while, I only change them when they go bad.

#10 ·
Actually, this particular motor is scheduled to have TB changed at 75k or 60 months, so OP is right on time.

+1 to that.

For the 2007-2009 Santy 2.7's:

60mo/75K mi normal service
48mo/50K mi for severe service.

If you have a T-belt related issue any time beyond 48mo/50K mi, your average Service Adviser is going to try to wiggle out of having the engine related issues 100% covered by warranty. BUT.. you never know.

I'd have to challenge anyone to point me to a thread where a later model 2.7L Santa Fe (even before 2007) had a timing belt failure anywhere before between 50-75K mi.

Like we've talked about Ad nauseam over the years, being a valve-crasher, it makes good sense to replace the T-belt, tensioner and idlers at every T-belt replacement. It also makes sense to do the water pump while you're in there, but you can weigh the pro's and con's with that.

I know I've replaced them myself on 4cyl vehicles and had a water pump lock-up, causing all the teeth to shear off the T-belt on a 1984 Ford EXP. Good times. That one wasn't fun to replace in a busy parking lot.

Joel

#12 · (Edited)
OMG I went to the service page and checked out the procedure for replacing the TB and it's a freaking nightmare. If you have a job it would be easier to give the dealer a weeks pay. They would prob do it in a day and a half but at least it would get done. I can't imagine anything left in the engine compartment if/and when you reach the 'summit'.

Even with all the photos it looks like an advanced driveway mechanic job. Special tools and blah blah blah.

I can remember back in my youth when i did a timing chain on a small block Chevy. In and out in an afternoon. These new engines are out of control!

#13 ·
OK, I am now at almost 74,000 miles, so am almost ready to take our 2007 SF 2.7L in for its timing belt change. This is the quote (with tensioners replaced) I received from a local, reputable garage: The T/B kit with tensioners is $303 + $28 accessory belt +$280 labor=$611.

It sounds reasonable. I've decided to leave the water pump alone for now, as I have not incurred any leaking and a Hyundai dealer shop employee said they rarely have issues with them.

So do I pull the trigger?
Ryan

#14 · (Edited)
$600 is a very typical price for belt/tensioner changes on a tight, transverse engine design (no space to work, more labor!). I'll grant you, we don't hear about bad water pumps here, but how much are they getting for it -- since they're already in there -- and how many miles do you really think you'll be putting on this vehicle while you own it?

#20 ·
mikenigro - wow, where is your dealer located? That sounds like a very reasonable quote! My dealer in Kansas City quoted:

I priced the service two ways to replace the timing belt, tensioner and drive belt it would be $845+tax. I also priced to replace
timing belt, tensioner, drive belt, water pump, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley it would run $1356+tax.

#25 ·
My quote is $803 for both belts, Water pump and coolant, Idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and hydraulic tensioner, including tax. So the pulleys and tensioner add $178.

I think I will ask for the old parts back, for backups, as they are probably still in decent shape.

#28 ·
Yes, it would have the manufacturers printing on it, but Hyundai uses multiple manufacturers over the years and Skulldrinker is right in that you have no idea where the belt they hand you came from. If they are shady enough to do a "sunlight special" on your car, they could possibly come up with an extra belt for you(even just hand you a new one- mine looked brand new at 82k miles).

#32 ·
I just completed doing a timing belt on my 2008 Hyundai Elantra. I ordered a timing belt kit from Amazon. It includes timing belt Idler pulley and water pump with gasket. I'm no mechanic but got the job done using instructions and You Tube videos as a guide. The water pump was a pain. Cleaning the gasket was a time consuming. I took my time cleaning parts as I went along. Also changed the other belts while I was at it. I bought a HF electric impact wrench for the crankshaft nut. To have the dealer do the job was a little steep. The All the parts are Kia/Hyundai excluding the belts which were gates. The does require having certain tools to properly do the job.

#34 ·
Just for other people's information so they have a good estimate. I was quoted $1225 (after a $150 deduction for my military discount) for the following:

Timing Belt, water pump, camseals replaced (another seal replaced as well), Serpentine belt replaced, Idler pulley replaced, and a quick coolant flush.

This all comes with a 2yr warranty for parts/labor. Getting it done at Sergeant Clutch in San Antonio. If I purchased the parts myself from Amazon, and had Sergeant Clutch do it, it would have cost roughly $950 without the warranty. The local Hyundai dealership quoted me at $1850 for the same stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.