Hyundai Forums banner

2001 2.7L Santa Fe Fuel Filter Replacement

40K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Dog Patch Steve 
#1 · (Edited)
by chance does anyone have a Fuel Filter DIY with pictures on the 2001 santa fe 2.7L 4WD V6? I've looked in every spot and I can't seem to find the fuel filter. I've looked in the cargo bay for an access door to no avail, looked under the seats as well. Every bit of help will be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
So in otherwards its sold with a new fuel pump assembly? According to the haynes manual the fuel filter is located on the driver side near the corner of the tank on a frame rail. I'm used to working on german cars not korean cars at least on german cars they put all the common wear and tear items where they can be easily replaced. how far can the fuel tank be extended downwards and is there enough clearance to reach in to disconnect the filter?

#10 ·
There is indeed a fuel filter, and I have 1 out in the garage...

That sock seen above is just that, a particulate sock to keep chunks from being ingested into the fuel pump.. that plastic thing that pump slides into with that 1/2 inch long black rubber seal into is the fuel filter (surrounds fuel pump) and is all assembled into the pump module.

But you all know that you dont have to believe me as a certified Hyundai Gold Level tech with EQUUS & Hybrid certs also...

#11 · (Edited)
Its not that I don't believe you, its the fact I've never seen a fuel filter like that before, I assume a vin number call to the local dealer will point me in the proper fuel filter direction. now my other question is whats invovled with taking the pump assembly apart and how many gaskets do I need to replace by taking it apart as well as the bolt torque specs to put it back together?

#12 ·
Likely come back as a 31112-26000. Using VIN at dealer parts counter ensures proper vehicle pulled up and all applicable for car..

To get at it, either drop the tank,,, lots more room,, or lift rear driver seat bottom, handful of screw to remove plastic tray from seat frame, then 4 bolt hold seat to floor --> roll set into cargo area out of way.

Look at the carpet, see carpet partially cut, finish cutting to remove that square,, save it though. Remove black metal floor plate, unplug all tubes and electric from to of module.. remove screws and lift module out of tank carefully,, watch out for sender arm tangle on way out, and spilled fuel.

Take apart module to get at filter and change it..... NOTE --> MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you get all old o-rings and misc from old filter transfered to new, or you will have fuel leak inside tank with no fuel pressure to fuel rail up front witih a nice crank--no fire situation.

I have filter for SM Santa Fe sitting here, but I realized I left camera at work... silly me.

#13 ·
You know, to me a fuel filter is a readily replaceable canister of a sort that can be easily and readily replaced. I am aware of the sock on the pickup, but it is not something that is normally replaced. The sloshing of the fuel around the sock flushes the particles, (if any) back into the fuel again and again. It normally needs no replacing. If you have nothing better to do, and have money to spend on something like this, please do so. Otherwise, just wait until the fuel filler pipe rusts thru, and the tank gets contaminated with rust and water and dirt. THEN just replace the tank, filler pipe, pump and pickup assy, and maybe even the injectors, and then you will have your clean "filter". Enjoy.

#14 ·
Confused

The maintenance manual on my 2005 Santa Fe 2.7L says to replace the fuel filter (I think around 50,000 miles), but I've read on this forum in more than one place that we shouldn't bother. Instead, some suggest that we should just run a fuel system cleaner through our system and we're okay. What should we do? :confused:

#17 ·
Hi I've been reading the thread but nobody has actually posted a deatailed reply in relation to HOW TO FIND & REPLACE the filter... Any luck yet as I've to do the same on mine :confused:
Are you sure you read this thread. I thought SBR711 did a credible job describing the procedure. But like many have said here, if you are doing this because the maintenance schedule said to do it, I'd just ignore it. Many dealerships also say to not do it- and that shows you how needless this is as a maintenance item(they don't pass up easy money very easily).