Hyundai Forums banner

Rattle And Squeak

55K views 86 replies 44 participants last post by  i30Teto 
#1 ·
I am truly loving my Hybrid Premium Pkg car, except for one thing.

There is a rattle/squeaking noise that comes from somewhere behind me, in the passenger area I am pretty sure. It is hard to track down while I drive and my pregnant wife isn't able to move around the back seat looking for it while I'm driving.

Sometimes I think it is up in the sunroof workings, sometimes on the back platform around the sub enclosure.

It doesn't always happen on rough roads, sometimes just while going around a curve at speed, that's when it sound structural, like it is straining.

Very odd.

Anybody have anything similar?

I'm hoping it is just the headliner not being fully secured in one spot or something. I'm going to ask my dealer to check it if and when the evap sensor part comes in.

#5 ·
No squeaks on my hybrid premium.

I've had annoying rattles from time to time, but it's always turned out to be something I've added like a bottle of soda, flashlight in the center consol, or my sunglasses. Once the items were removed or secured, all was quiet.

Try removing all the miscilanious stuff from your car and check that all the unused seat belts arn't resting against a hard surface in the car (this was a problem I had with another car I owned) and drive around again.

Good luck!

#6 ·
Yes I have had the same issue. It was driving me a little nuts and I had the dealership grease the ball bearings for the sunroof thinking that was causing the sound but that has not solved the issue. I am beginning to think the sound is actually emanating from the trunk which if you notice, operates through thin rods resting across hinges across the roof of the trunk. I think the car's motion actually causes the creak from the friction. I am going to oil that to see if that will resolve the squeak sound. Will keep you posted.

#7 ·
buddhaboy, thanks for the thought on the trunk. I'll check that out this weekend as well. Sometimes it really seems like the noise is worse when the twin sunroof shades are open, but I've definitely heard it when it is closed. If only I could set cruise control and climb in the back seat to listen for it, but that probably wouldn't be safe.

#8 ·
Hi OP,
I am having similar issues on my Sonata SE. It is coming from the front passenger side area. The sound is quite annoying to be ignored. I took it to the dealer once and they did not do anything. Said it was coming from the things i have in the door. I know it is not coming form those stuff. They dont make that kind of sound. The sound coming is rattling and little shattering or like a bug being zapped by the electric light. I looked around the passenger area, but it is coming still. Not sure what is causing it. I am planning to take it to dealer again soon, but am not really hopeful from the dealer. I wish someone from Hyundai is reading this.

#10 ·
I noticed the same straining noise you described for quite some time after purchasing my 2011 turbo Limited in December 2010. I don't hear it regularly. It would often make the noise as I was making a turn and coming to a stop. I asked the dealer about it, but there wasn't any affirmation coming from there.

#11 ·
Hi all, I'm a new Hybrid Premium owner as of Friday Aug 12th. So far the car has been exceptional in feel and mileage (40+mpg). I have experienced the lifting trim beside the panoramic roof, and I also have this phantom "creak" or "squeak" coming from the roof somewhere. I got my wife to drive while sat in the back seat and the sounds definitely seemed to emanate from the headliner, yet putting pressure on the headliner didn't alter the sound. It happens whenever the car is in a situation where it would flex, uneven roads, bumpy roads, braking, or some corners. The sound is less when the sunshades are closed, but still audible. Its not really a rattle, but more of a creak as the frame or body flexes. Its making me crazy. Lets keep this thread updated with any discoveries please, as I'm confident that the dealer will not resolve this in a timely manner.

#12 ·
Since I started this thread the sound went away. It took several weeks, but it did. Occasionally I think I hear it, but only once, not consistently like it used to be.

I second the 'flexing'. It would happen on bumps but seemed to happen more often on curves and such.

I'll update if it comes back, so I hope I don't have to update.

#13 ·
QUOTE (jhmatthews @ Aug 16 2011, 11:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=491623
Since I started this thread the sound went away. It took several weeks, but it did. Occasionally I think I hear it, but only once, not consistently like it used to be.

I second the 'flexing'. It would happen on bumps but seemed to happen more often on curves and such.

I'll update if it comes back, so I hope I don't have to update.
Thats encouraging! It could be that the glass roof or some trim up there has finally settled in or soapy water from washing the car has worked its way into the creaky area... whatever the case, I hope mine does the same thing and just goes away like an unwanted ghost :)

Mark

#14 ·
Update: Took it to the dealer, the service manager came out with me and acknowledged the " awful squeak" going so far to say it would drive him insane. This was encouraging, as i'm always happy that they give the problem the attention it deserves. They kept the car for the day and in their opinion, the noise came from the headliner clips. In removing and replacing the headliner, they damaged some clips and apparently they can not simply replace the clips, they have to replace the whole headliner. It has been ordered, and is on backorder. In the mean time, the squeak has become angry and is even louder. Such a shame because I have none of the other Hybrid issues with MIL etc (knocking on wood), the only thing keeping me from truly loving this car is this annoying squeak right behind my head. Even with music turned up quite loud, it is audible.

I really hope the replacement headliner solves this issue.

#15 ·
I have the exact same noise on my 2012 Sonata Ltd. Turbo. I believe the noise is coming from the Panoramic Sunroof. The dealer says they have had other complaints about this but as of yet there is no instructions from Hyundai as to how to fix the problem. I hope I can get lucky and mine will just go away on its own.

#16 ·
QUOTE (enjnir @ Aug 29 2011, 03:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=497020
I have the exact same noise on my 2012 Sonata Ltd. Turbo. I believe the noise is coming from the Panoramic Sunroof. The dealer says they have had other complaints about this but as of yet there is no instructions from Hyundai as to how to fix the problem. I hope I can get lucky and mine will just go away on its own.
I have a hunch that the noise is not coming from the headliner, it sounds like the fixed rear glass roof is creaking when the body flexes. The headliner i had on order has arrived and is scheduled for install on Wed, and the service guy said they will drive the car without the headliner in it to confirm that it is indeed the headliner. I suspect it is not. We'll see on Wednesday, I'll report back.

#17 ·
Update: The new headliner was installed last week, and didn't solve the noise/squeak/creak. Oddly enough, they romoved the old headliner and drove the car, it was quiet. So logic would dictate thet tha problem was the headliner. The new headliner didn't change anything. My service manager was noticeably frustrated and very apologetic for failing to fix it. He vowed to get to the bottom of it. I could see that he was serious about finding the solution, and therefore I wasn't upset at all, I was actually very grateful that he gave the problem the priority I feel it deserves. The following morning he called me with good news. He spoke with a few "higher ups" and apparently there is a solution. There is a cross member that runs between the two sunroofs, and is bolted to the roof rails that run lengthwise along both sides of the roof. The headliner clips into the cross member. As the car flexes, the roof liner actually applies force to that cross member causing it to creak where it is bolted to the side rails. (this explains why the noise didn't happen when the headliner was removed) The solution is to remove the headliner, unbolt the cross member, and install a 3mm felt tape between the cross member and the roof rails. I have not had this done to mine yet, but I am very hopeful that this will work, it seems like the right diagnosis based on what I'm hearing.

I will report once I get in there and have this done. p.s. the dealership has provided me a loaner on each of my visits, and has been truly exceptional in all respects.

Stay tuned...

#19 ·
I had this *exact* same problem. The issue, according to the techs who diagnosed and fixed it, is that the sunroof crossbar screws were not tightened to spec, allowing the crossbar to shift position as the car body flexed.

Techs removed the liner, and re-torqued all 9 screws. That was 1.5 weeks and 800+ miles ago, and I haven't heard a peep since.

#21 ·
UPDATE**** The squeak is fixed, and is exactly as posted above. The cross bar was the culprit. In my case the removed the cross bar and installed a padded tape between the mating surfaces, then retightened to spec. Quiet as a church now. My Hybrid is finally 100% perfect. I love this car, and this experience, although frustrating, did allow me to get to know my service manager and experience some of the most friendly, pleasant and conscientious service I've seen in 25+ years of car ownership. Truly first rate.

#26 ·
Help with my dealer

My dealer is telling me that they will not attempt to repair the problem until Hyundai issues a TSB for the problem. Do you know how I can get around this and get them to go ahead and fix the problem. I have provided them with the discussion on this forum but to no avail... :mad:

#24 ·
It will get worse... trust me, and you will not be able to live with it. Mine got louder and louder until it was audible on every road irregularity and heard over the music. Enjoying the silence since the fix.

#25 ·
It is a known problem. Mine has been in the shop 2z totalling 7 weeks to try to fix the Rattles and hums.

I am truly loving my Hybrid Premium Pkg car, except for one thing.

There is a rattle/squeaking noise that comes from somewhere behind me, in the passenger area I am pretty sure. It is hard to track down while I drive and my pregnant wife isn't able to move around the back seat looking for it while I'm driving.

Sometimes I think it is up in the sunroof workings, sometimes on the back platform around the sub enclosure.

It doesn't always happen on rough roads, sometimes just while going around a curve at speed, that's when it sound structural, like it is straining.

Very odd.

Anybody have anything similar?

I'm hoping it is just the headliner not being fully secured in one spot or something. I'm going to ask my dealer to check it if and when the evap sensor part comes in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.