Hyundai Forums banner

Hyundai Remote Starter Problems

13K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SVTfocusO3 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2010 Santa Fe limited with NAV and had the Hyundai Remote Starter installed by the dealer. It has not worked properly since delivery. It starts the car, runs for 2 - 3 minutes, shuts the car off and restartes it after a second or two. It does this three times and then does not restart. I took it to the dealer where it was installed and they cannot fix the problem. My local dealer won't touch it because they feel it is an installation issue. At this point I would like to return the starter and get my money back so I can buy an aftermarket starter but they won't take it back. Has anyone had this problem? Anyone found a solution? It seems that I'm quickly running out of options.

#2 ·
QUOTE (romullen @ Jan 3 2011, 12:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=385982
I just purchased a 2010 Santa Fe limited with NAV and had the Hyundai Remote Starter installed by the dealer. It has not worked properly since delivery. It starts the car, runs for 2 - 3 minutes, shuts the car off and restartes it after a second or two. It does this three times and then does not restart. I took it to the dealer where it was installed and they cannot fix the problem. My local dealer won't touch it because they feel it is an installation issue. At this point I would like to return the starter and get my money back so I can buy an aftermarket starter but they won't take it back. Has anyone had this problem? Anyone found a solution? It seems that I'm quickly running out of options.
I have a 2010 Tucson which had the dealer remote starter installed. Mine did exactly as you described. It would stop after a minute or two....then restart....it seems as soon as the the fan for the temperature kicked in....it would stop the vehicle. The dealer called the manufacturer and they said a extra wire must be run.....they said they ran a wire from the tach (or tack) to the injector... Then relearned the tach......dont know if this makes sense....but it might to the dealer.....It is now working perfectlty.

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I will mention this to the dealership. One interesting discovery - when the head-light switch is set to ‘auto’ or ‘off’ and I start the car with the remote starter it runs for approx 3 minutes and then stops and starts again. When the lights are set to ‘on’ and I start the car with the remote starter it works perfectly - runs for 15 minutes. Interestingly, if I start the car with the lights set to ‘on’ and after several minutes of it running properly (more than 3 minutes) I then turn the light switch to either ‘off’ or ‘auto’ the car shuts off within seconds. I don't understand how the two are related but hopefully this will help the dealer to determine the cause.

#4 ·
QUOTE (romullen @ Jan 3 2011, 12:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=385982
Yes I did I also had a 2010 Santa Fe, frustrating issues with the remote car would turn off and on, you need to make certain the light switch is in the off position otherwise if you accidently turn on the car with remote starter and it turns off the lights stay onand you then have a dead battery. Asked Hyundai Canada about it and the dealership the response was "to live with it" Check your booklet it could also be it was programmed into the valet mode. But more than likely as in our case it was programmed wrong. Good luck.

#6 ·
This sound like the exact issue I had with my 2010 that I bought used. Since it was purchased as a Hyundai Certified Pre Owned vehicle at another dealer, my local dealer fixed it - they said that the tach wire was not hooked up, so the starter could not tell when the engine actually started. They fixed it (sent the bill to the dealer I bought it from) and I have not had a problem since.

Attachments

#7 ·
Hey guys just to let you know about the remote starter issue.
I installed a prostart on 2010 santa fe. Same problem ran for 2/3 mins then shut off and restarted again fir 2/3 mins. I talk to tech support and they said you have to set the learn tach on. Its an option on the remote starter called multi speed tach. Once you add the tach signal from remote starter to injector and program multi speed tach option vehicle remote starts for proper time. And no problems. Hope this helps you guys out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.