Hyundai Forums banner

Fuel Warning Light - Fuel Remaining

38K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jimmyd787 
#1 ·
Just quick questions:

when the fuel warning light comes on, how many litres are left in the tank?
and how many kms should i get out of that?

#7 ·
Sorry forgot to update the answers i found for this question/thread...

I figured out after refuelling that Low Fuel Warning Light comes on at 10L remaining (same as specified in my previous car's user manual, but not in elantra's)

Spec sheet says combined fuel consumption is 7.8L per 100kms, so based on that, the max distance you can travel when the light first comes on is 120.2kms, and then ur car will fail :D

Oh, and the other day my fuel meter was pointing to empty for a while but i still had 7-8L left in the tank. So u shouldnt run out of fuel if u go by the fuel meter.

Guessing cars from other countries that dont use Litres and Kilometres as measurements will have different low fuel levels.

Thanks for the replies.

#8 ·
QUOTE (Mazix @ Jun 28 2010, 11:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337027
Just quick questions:

when the fuel warning light comes on, how many litres are left in the tank?
and how many kms should i get out of that?
never, ever run a vehicle dry if it has a catalytic converter. the air flowing under the vehicle cools the cat converter
if you are at highway speeds and run out of fuel it can start a fire. no kidding. i was a firefighter for many, many years....

#9 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 29 2010, 06:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337067
Hard to say exactly. It varies. You'll have to find out the hard way if you really want to know. Carry around a can of gas and run it dry.
i did this in my 2005 hyundai. when the fuel light goes on, make note of the odometer. drive to the nearest fual station. fuel up.

example:

11.9 gallon tank (accent) fuel light comes on at 350 miles and it was 5 miles before you got to fuel station

took 10.3 gallons to fill it up. mpg = 350/10.3 or 33.98 mpg

at 33.98 mpg you use 0.147 gallons to drive 5 miles

add the 0.147 miles to what it took to fill it up (0.147 + 10.3) and you get 10.417 gallons

11.9 (tank capacity) minus 10.417 gallons and you had 1.483 gallons left when the light came on

at 33.98 mpg using the 1.483 gallons is 50.39 miles if you kept driving until it was out of gas.

it's just math. convuluted, sure, but still just math.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.