Hyundai Forums banner

Whirring Motor Noise

42K views 79 replies 43 participants last post by  martint123 
#1 ·
Since I've had my i10 I've noticed what I can only describe as an intermittent whirring, servo kind of noise behind the dashboard. It sounds like it whirrs, makes a correction and whirrs again and carries on doing this. I only really notice it when the car's stationary, at traffic lights and such but it is starting to become an annoyance. Just wondered if this is normal or if I should take the car in.

#27 ·
Same noise on my i10, had it from about 2 weeks after collecting the car, I thought they were supposed to self adjust. But obviously they give you the switch to manually adjust the height so I guess this isn't the case. Wife is gonna ask the service department today whether its a fault or not, will be interesting to see what they have to say.
Regards
Otto

#28 ·
QUOTE (Ottosump @ Jun 8 2010, 04:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330822
Same noise on my i10, had it from about 2 weeks after collecting the car, I thought they were supposed to self adjust. But obviously they give you the switch to manually adjust the height so I guess this isn't the case. Wife is gonna ask the service department today whether its a fault or not, will be interesting to see what they have to say.
Regards
Otto
Wife came back from having the Hyundai in for its first service, the technician say that Hyundai have identified that there is a fault with the servo switch that adjusts the lights, and are working on a solution. He tightened the switch? and said it should be OK now, also adjusted the fan belt as this was giving off a high pitched squeal occasionally.
So all is well, fingers crossed.
Otto

#29 ·
QUOTE (Ottosump @ Jun 8 2010, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330849
He tightened the switch? and said it should be OK now, Otto

Another excuse from the great book of Hyundai.

Many of the i10s that have had the switch replaced still suffer from the problem . The rumour mill suggests it's the headlamp motors and Hyundai are in a bit of a corner due to the cost in both money and time to replace this part on a great majoirty of i10s sold in the UK.

#30 ·
QUOTE (Noddy @ Jun 8 2010, 04:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330885
The rumour mill suggests it's the headlamp motors and Hyundai are in a bit of a corner due to the cost in both money and time to replace this part on a great majoirty of i10s sold in the UK.
I'm not sure why this should be a problem at all, create the fix and fit it to anyone's car who happens to complain, which lets face it won't be many as it probably won't be noticed or bothered about by most drivers.

Mine has started doing it recently but until someone on here reports there is an actual 100% fix there really is no point taking it in (same with the clutch)

#31 ·
QUOTE (Truedata @ Jun 10 2010, 12:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331600
I'm not sure why this should be a problem at all,
I believe the motors are inside the headlamp units.

One car = 2 x headlamps and it appears the majority of i10s have the problem. That's a lot of headlamps which dont come cheap. Add to that fitting ( have you tried to fit a bulb ! ), that's a lot of dealers blocked up with i10 warranty work = An expensive fix for Hyundai.

The resistive swtich is fairly passive and unless there is current leak through the resistor network then its very doubtful the switch ever had an issue. I've also been told that switch is used on other models without issue. So its back to the headlamps and ( possibly ) there internal motors. All the diagrams shown on the Hyundai GSW site dont show much detail regarding the headlamp levelling motors.

I think there is more chance gold plated self fixing clutch units being fitted then the above work being carried out .

#32 ·
QUOTE (Noddy @ Jun 10 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331612
I believe the motors are inside the headlamp units.

One car = 2 x headlamps and it appears the majority of i10s have the problem. That's a lot of headlamps which dont come cheap. Add to that fitting ( have you tried to fit a bulb ! ), that's a lot of dealers blocked up with i10 warranty work = An expensive fix for Hyundai.

The resistive swtich is fairly passive and unless there is current leak through the resistor network then its very doubtful the switch ever had an issue. I've also been told that switch is used on other models without issue. So its back to the headlamps and ( possibly ) there internal motors. All the diagrams shown on the Hyundai GSW site dont show much detail regarding the headlamp levelling motors.

I think there is more chance gold plated self fixing clutch units being fitted then the above work being carried out .
Oh yes it's undoubtedly quite a big job if all the above could be involved, but how many people would actually return them for said work if they didn't issue a full recall? I personally don't think many so costs wouldn't be that high surely.

#33 ·
QUOTE (Truedata @ Jun 10 2010, 02:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331624
Oh yes it's undoubtedly quite a big job if all the above could be involved, but how many people would actually return them for said work if they didn't issue a full recall? I personally don't think many so costs wouldn't be that high surely.

It all depends on how annoying it becomes.

They have been aware of the issue for well over 14 months. Thats a long time to sort a 'switch' out. Apply that level of concern over a clutch and......well the rest is history.

#34 ·
As one of the (brave?!) i10 'early-adopters' I had the headlamp 'adjusters' replaced some time back last year by my dealer.

It went away for a few weeks..but started to reoccur a few weeks later, but not as frequently.

It happens about once/twice a day for few (annoying) seconds. I now am having to just live with it....and wait until a fix is announced?!

#36 ·
QUOTE (Northstar100 @ Jun 23 2010, 07:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335592
Just do what Mr Ed says in post 21, turn the height adjuster from 0 and you'll never hear the noise again :thumbsup:
Both my I10's still have the fault regardless of where the switch is positioned. Only a few people have appeared to cure the noise by keeping the switch in that position. Even then thats not a cure. Many people use that switch for its indended purpose. I doubt all those with a Style would keep the sunroof shut if that had a faulty motor.

Why the **** should you let Hyundai and there poxy sub-standard service off the hook by NOT using the cars funtions. Take the car back and demand a fix.

#38 ·
QUOTE (Northstar100 @ Jun 24 2010, 08:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335737
So how is this fault fixed?

Currently there is no fix. Read my above post regarding headlamp motors and the cost to repair; the switch is a red herring. It's a 10 pence item with a passive resistor array inside.

It's believed the fault is in the motors and the cost ( assuming everyone demanded the fix be carried out ) would be a major setback to Hyundai. The labour alone would prevent the fitters carrying out their normal work for several weeks.

The fault has been present since the first i10 rolled of the production line. So two years to fix a switch ? Nah ! They know what's causing the problem, but are hoping people wont bother asking for a solution ( which is exactly what's happening ).

But there could be trouble ahead, it's now come to light that another person received a rectification notice from the Police for driving their i10 with faulty headlamps ( that's makes two recorded events so far ). Hence why some Hyundai dealers are disconnecting the headlamp motors . Now if they disconnect the Aircon or Electric windows because they were faulty, how would you react ?

You put two large people in the back of an i10 with the headlamps set on the '0' setting and you will light up the moon and blind every other bugger driving towards you.

But driving down a country lane with the headlamp beam going up and down at random is bloody dangerous. I've nearly had one person pull out on me because they thought I was flashing them to proceed !

#39 ·
I still think there is a fault with the switch. I can now get both headlight motors to 'whirr' simply by tapping the dash adjacent to the switch. The dealer (now closed) told me that the headlight motor problem usually only affected one headlight so perhaps there are two faults. Now that the problem is easily demonstrated I will ask for it to be fixed at the first service but from the experience of others I am not confident it will be.

#47 ·
QUOTE (Mr Pogle @ Jun 28 2010, 04:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336769
Cheers Noddy :thumbsup: did you get the info from pestering them, or you got a call/letter out of the blue? Either way it'll be nice and helpful to get this problem cleared up once and for all.

Merging this with existing topic.

I was chasing up another issue and while I had their ear, I pressed them for information on the headlamp fault. It appeared to be a genuine answer and not a fob off, so fingers crossed :)

#48 ·
Got to be the controller rather than the individual headlamp motors. Symptom is both headlights dither at the same time . Now had two i10s and both developed this problem after time. Quick fix is to turn the controller away from max up adjustment. On first i10 a new switch cured problem for a while but after time came back. On new i10 am living with headlight controller set below max until problem finally fixed by Hyundai. In the real world a slight lowering of the headlight beam has no effect on night driving visibility. As a perfectionist I will get my dealer to sort this out on my second i10 once a permanent fix is available.

#50 ·
QUOTE (sankar @ Jul 1 2010, 05:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337842
Hi Noddy, did Hyundai say which part they're going to replace, is it the headlamp motor or the switch?
I have this whirring noise in my i10, but here in India there aint no word from Hyundai regarding this.
Hi Sankar

No I didn't really push them on it with regards to details. I dont think they had any more information then what they told me. I will ask my dealer when I see them next and see if they have been updated.

Rumour has been saying its the headlamps, but shedloads also has a valid point. No one really knows except for the Hyundai fix it team !

If I find out anything more, then I will post it up on the forum straight away.

#51 ·
Thanks Noddy please do tell us about the part when they tell you.
But i have my doubt if it is just the switch which is faulty here. Reason is, after the bulb upgrade, and as soon as i connected the headlamp electrical coupler back to the headlamp unit the motor started whirring! This happened only with the left headlamp unit and right headlamp unit did not whirr. And it happened when there was no key in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.