Hyundai Forums banner

Faults With I20?

53K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  rubric 
#1 ·
like in the i10 forum, i wanted start any issues and faults post with the i20........ over here

for example, just reading over in the parkers reader reviews that some peoples windscreens have cracked, stereos not working etc....

anything else to look out for those have got new cars so far...?

#2 ·
leaking rims is one problem, (this is only for 1.2L) if the car is hard to put in reverse(even if you clutch twice or put it in another gear) there is 2 bolts that can be tightened or a mechanism that can be replaced.

Minor problems, but the car is new and there is always some problems in the beginning.
both problems should the Hyundai car dealers/workshops be noticed about.

#3 ·
QUOTE (Anisto @ Sep 3 2009, 12:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=260682
leaking rims is one problem, (this is only for 1.2L) if the car is hard to put in reverse(even if you clutch twice or put it in another gear) there is 2 bolts that can be tightened or a mechanism that can be replaced.

Minor problems, but the car is new and there is always some problems in the beginning.
both problems should the Hyundai car dealers/workshops be noticed about.

Would this be the same for having trouble getting it into 1st gear?

#4 ·
QUOTE (Eif @ Sep 5 2009, 08:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=261359
Would this be the same for having trouble getting it into 1st gear?
I take it you've also had problems with 1st gear Elf. Did you get it sorted?

Has anyone else had problems with getting 1st gear?

It's only my first week with the car so I'm hoping maybe some of my issues work themselves out.

So far...

1. First gear is sometimes tricky to get into. Not everytime, but often enough to be bloody annoying.

2. The windscreen heater seems pathetic. I sat for 10 minutes this morning waiting for all the moisture to clear from the inside of the window (which also makes me wonder how the **** it got there...!?!). I eventually ran out of patience and went inside to get a cloth to wipe the screen (not ideal!). I'm going to test this on a longer run at the weekend.

3. The Air Con comes on everytime the fan is on. Not really a fault, just annoying to have to turn it off everytime I start the car or turn on the fan.

#5 ·
QUOTE (Dark_Dreams @ Oct 8 2009, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=269255
I take it you've also had problems with 1st gear Elf. Did you get it sorted?

Has anyone else had problems with getting 1st gear?

It's only my first week with the car so I'm hoping maybe some of my issues work themselves out.

So far...

1. First gear is sometimes tricky to get into. Not everytime, but often enough to be bloody annoying.

2. The windscreen heater seems pathetic. I sat for 10 minutes this morning waiting for all the moisture to clear from the inside of the window (which also makes me wonder how the **** it got there...!?!). I eventually ran out of patience and went inside to get a cloth to wipe the screen (not ideal!). I'm going to test this on a longer run at the weekend.

3. The Air Con comes on everytime the fan is on. Not really a fault, just annoying to have to turn it off everytime I start the car or turn on the fan.
1. First and rear gear are sometimes a bit tricky. I have 2000km and it seems to be better now.
In the beginning it was almost once a trip, but now it's very rare.

2. You need to put the Airco on for that, in a few seconds the moisture is gone.

#7 ·
QUOTE (rodderstrotter @ Oct 8 2009, 09:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=269307
It should only do this when demist is selected.
You're quite correct rodderstrotter - any other setting and the air con goes off. Demister is about the only setting I ever use on a car fan heater, will need to consider using something else.

QUOTE (SilentSpring @ Oct 8 2009, 09:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=269294
1. First and rear gear are sometimes a bit tricky. I have 2000km and it seems to be better now.
In the beginning it was almost once a trip, but now it's very rare.

2. You need to put the Airco on for that, in a few seconds the moisture is gone.

Thanks SilentSpring.
Fingers crossed it clears after a bit of distance.

I'll try it with the aircon on next time - screen was clear this morning anyway so I couldn't test.

#11 ·
Ok where do I start? I have had my wee I20 1.4 comfort since last March and she is due for her first service on Thursday. For the first 11mths she drove like a dream and I had abs no concerns, now, however is a completely different story!! I noticed she lost power usually when taking off from a junction, just momentarily for the first few times, developed into a shudder and then tonight she completely died. I'm sitting halfway across a juntion with a lorry coming down and it took several attempts to start the car again before I could get out of the way! I have noticed the fuel consumption has increased beyond belief and although my car computer reads 42.6mpg (no rush hour traffic by the way) I have calculated this could be halved based on my travel yesterday and today. The radio died all of a sudden one night - worked fine on the way home from work, stopped at a shop and when I came out low and behold no sound! The engine sounds as rough as a bristle brush despite the fact that I don't drive the car hard and usually sit around 60mph on the motorway, and reverse is becoming a logistic nightmare - usually easier to take her out of gear altogether and roll her back down the hill in neutral when coming out of my driveway. After tonights scary few moments my husband phoned the dealers as he feels the car is too dangerous to drive. We were told that they could take the car in tomorrow and I could have a courtesy car but I would have to pay the insurance at £15 per day. Getting rather fed up now and wish I had stayed with Hyundai's baby brother Kia - had a wee diesel cerato - never had a problem with it not even a rattle. Has anyone else suffered this catalogue of disasters or is my car cursed :eek:

#14 ·
Hi lise61, welcome to the board.

Oh dear you do seem to be having a lot of problems. So far Ive been lucky, not a thing wrong with mine. Ive had it 4 months now, done 3750 miles and it runs lovely. The radio and reverse gear problems seem to be fairly common on the i20, the dealer should just stick a new radio in and as someone else has said there is a fix for the reverse gear problem.

Hopefully your car isnt cursed!

#15 ·
Thanks Sierra,

My wee car ran really well upto this last month. Although she is nearly a year she only has 8000 miles on the clock. I really hope that this service sorts all the problems out and I have been thinking this throttle cable recall may have something to do with the problems I am encountering. My hubby had a Hyundai Coupe for 3 yrs and never had any problems with his car although he used a different dealer so I might talk to his dealer to see what they can do for me...

#16 ·
QUOTE (lise61 @ Mar 15 2010, 05:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=304618
Thanks Sierra,

My wee car ran really well upto this last month. Although she is nearly a year she only has 8000 miles on the clock. I really hope that this service sorts all the problems out and I have been thinking this throttle cable recall may have something to do with the problems I am encountering. My hubby had a Hyundai Coupe for 3 yrs and never had any problems with his car although he used a different dealer so I might talk to his dealer to see what they can do for me...
Throttle cable recall?

#17 ·
QUOTE (lise61 @ Mar 15 2010, 07:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=304586
Ok where do I start? I have had my wee I20 1.4 comfort since last March and she is due for her first service on Thursday. For the first 11mths she drove like a dream and I had abs no concerns, now, however is a completely different story!! I noticed she lost power usually when taking off from a junction, just momentarily for the first few times, developed into a shudder and then tonight she completely died. I'm sitting halfway across a juntion with a lorry coming down and it took several attempts to start the car again before I could get out of the way! I have noticed the fuel consumption has increased beyond belief and although my car computer reads 42.6mpg (no rush hour traffic by the way) I have calculated this could be halved based on my travel yesterday and today. The radio died all of a sudden one night - worked fine on the way home from work, stopped at a shop and when I came out low and behold no sound! The engine sounds as rough as a bristle brush despite the fact that I don't drive the car hard and usually sit around 60mph on the motorway, and reverse is becoming a logistic nightmare - usually easier to take her out of gear altogether and roll her back down the hill in neutral when coming out of my driveway. After tonights scary few moments my husband phoned the dealers as he feels the car is too dangerous to drive. We were told that they could take the car in tomorrow and I could have a courtesy car but I would have to pay the insurance at £15 per day. Getting rather fed up now and wish I had stayed with Hyundai's baby brother Kia - had a wee diesel cerato - never had a problem with it not even a rattle. Has anyone else suffered this catalogue of disasters or is my car cursed :eek:
Hi and :00000732: to the forum.

It sounds like you have a few problems going on there........ as sierra said, the radio should just get exchanged. It's the mpgcomputer issue that's baffling me ...... weird. Please let us know what the dealer says.

#18 ·
Hi Sierra, yeah the early 2009 I20's have had a recall due to a problem with the throttle cable something to do with it coming into contact with something else and causing a fault with electrical fuses... you can tell I know abs nothing about cars except how to drive one lol.

#19 ·
hi all
had our i20 1.2 for 5 months and done 1800 miles , car suffers from peculiar noise every now and again which sounds like a dry bearing on something , could be air con or steering pump as steering feels a bit wierd everynow and again , but the more i listen the more i think it sounds like the thrust bearing , i am wondering if this may also be the reason the car is hard to get into first and reverse , is the clutch disingaging properly , by moving into another gear first you can then select first or reverse is this because there are shafts still spinning in the box and you stall them by momentarily by engaging another gear enabaling you to select the one you want ? i will be shortly informing my dealer in case to cover myself in case we as others have , suffer a premature clutch failure , apart from that the car " does what it said on the tin " but certainly no more than that . and only two speakers now that is tight ! and fuel consumption no where near as good as it should be .

#21 ·
QUOTE (bizzay1 @ Mar 27 2010, 08:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=307625
http://www.hyundai.co.uk/newCars/i20/specifications/

classic has 4 speakers and the comfort & style have 6, if you only have 2 working it's back to the dealer under warranty
hi all
I stand corrected two main speakers in front door + two woofer / tweeter whatever also in front door , four door car five seats no rear speakers = tight in my book !
strange noise is now getting worse and more frequent and will continue now whilst driving along , sounds like a growly power steering pump , am i correct in thimking this car has an electric over power , rack and pinion power steering set up ? I can find no power steering fluid resevoir or mention of one in the owners manual .
time to call the dealer me thinks !

#22 ·
I've only had my 1.4 Style a couple of weeks, which really isn't long enough to form an opinion, but one comment I would make is that I find the ride very firm and rather unsettled. Even allowing for the current state of the roads here in West Yorkshire, every little bump seems to transmit itself through the car.

I've checked the tyre pressures just in case they were over-inflated but they are all bang on at 33 psi.

I'd welcome other members' comments on the suspension of this car.

#23 ·
QUOTE (awt41 @ Mar 28 2010, 05:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=307930
I've only had my 1.4 Style a couple of weeks, which really isn't long enough to form an opinion, but one comment I would make is that I find the ride very firm and rather unsettled. Even allowing for the current state of the roads here in West Yorkshire, every little bump seems to transmit itself through the car.

I've checked the tyre pressures just in case they were over-inflated but they are all bang on at 33 psi.

hi awt41
your dead right , and the hard suspension set up is what transmits so much road noise through the car , i guess like me you knew you wern't buying a sports car mine my car was bought for my wife and is a 1.2 so its on the slow side of slow , so a more supple ride with less road noise would be a better option .

#24 ·
QUOTE (awt41 @ Mar 28 2010, 05:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=307930

Hi and :00000732: to the forum

#25 ·
Just thought I would drop in a wee update - apologies been working like mad for the past few weeks and work internet wont let me access forum

Car got its first service on 23rd March. They weren't able to find a cause for the loss of power but several other items came to the fore. She has to have the windscreen washer system replaced, She needs the radio replaced, she also need the Master Cylinder replaced along with several electrics - not terribly impressed with my dealer as I was unable to get the repairs done when the car was in for its service and in fact I am leaving her in for a week at the end of April so everything can be done in one go!! They are also going to carry out additional checks re the power loss...

Really hoping that this resolves all the problems - the car now has a squeaky drivers door :eek: if not think I will be returning to hyundai's sister company kia :(

#26 ·
I am a new member, I purchased my i20 in April 2010, with 3 year warranty. Since purchasing the car it is difficult to get it in reverse gear. Least of my worries as a week after the 12 months, clutch burnt out after 26,405km.....flywheel also needed replacing, car still under warranty but was told it was my style of driving and wasn't covered as it was a wear and tear item (had four cars before this one and had over 100,000 miles up in each car and never burnt out a clutch......my style of driving??????) Cost me €727 plus the price of hiring another car for the week. Have the car back a week now first and reverse gear are both difficult to click into. And this evening the radio/cd player stops work (not a fuse problem - checked). Have anyone else had all these problems within 13 months of purchase?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.