Hyundai Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

When To Replace Timing Belt?...costs?

62K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Montego 
#1 ·
Hey guys...I came to the conclusion that I will be keeping the wife's '04 Accent until it EXPLODES due to the poor economy. I never had any timing belt/chain issues or replaced any with any vehicle I ever owned (+15). We bought our Accent from a rental car co. with 13K and it now has 90K. I heard I am way past due for a timing belt change in an Hyundai. Car is highway driven 90% of the time.
I would like to take her up to 120K before I consider parting with it.
What are the costs for replacement?

Thx, 273HYPO.......... :banana:

#3 ·
My Car is at 54K right now. The timing belt is part of the 60K mile service, according to my manual.

It's gonna be expensive at the dealer.

But yes, at 90K, you're way past time for a new belt.

JM probably means 80,000 Kilometers.

I mean 60,000 miles (US Hyundai requirements).

Either way, yes, it's expensive, but would you rather spend a little on a belt, or a lot on a new top end engine rebuild when the belt breaks?

BTW: What do you mean by "Poor economy". are you talking about the World's economy situation, or the fuel economy of the car?

#4 ·
I was talking miles .....

Car manufacturers tailor the service schedules to different markets ....... Its kinda nonsense really, this Accent I look after is supposed to only need servicing every 10K according to the book ......... Anyone ever known oil last that long in a petrol engine ? :whistling:

Don't go to a dealer for heavens sake ....... They ain't gods or gurus, they are just expensive PERIOD

Haynes do a manual for the US DOHC 16v motor ....... Do your own belt, it isn't rocket science. :thumbsup:

"Poor Economy" ...... Are you the only person in the US that's not noticed the price of oil based products is on the increase ........ Your dollar value on the world market is at a all time low..... Ya really ought to read a little more :grin:

#6 ·
Originally posted by J..M@Mar 16 2008, 09:44 AM
I"Poor Economy" ...... Are you the only person in the US that's not noticed the price of oil based products is on the increase ........ Your dollar value on the world market is at a all time low..... Ya really ought to read a little more  :grin:
[snapback]143911[/snapback]​

Hey dippchitt,
Why would I keep a car thats not economoical and put more money in it???
A poor economy means the US dollar is low....maybe YOU should of finished the third grade................ :bwekk:

#7 ·
Originally posted by 273HYPO@Mar 16 2008, 07:13 PM
Hey dippchitt,
        Why would I keep an uneconomical car and put more money in it??? A poor economy means the US dollar is low....maybe YOU should of finished the third grade................ :bwekk:

I was talking to cstephen

A poor economy is a general term, yours might be poor, but ours is running fine..... Anyways that's besides the point.

If you change over to Mobil1 you can increase you oil change intervals to at least 5K, the 3K oil change is based on myth. You may find that you can push your oil further.... Always good for saving a quid.

#8 ·
Please Ignore 273HYPO he is a american.

Simple answer, but so true.

They think they are the center of the universe.

Quote "A poor economy means the US dollar is low"

F/%k poor economy could be everywhere...
not just in the US...
Come on open your mind over your political barrier.

I should go get my blue pills to relax.

#11 ·
Planning to be in Ste Therese in the summer ......... Well thats the plan ........ Not quite sure how to pay for it all yet ....... umm...... Maybe late summer ........ Either way I'm gonna miss the Grand Prix ...... Which is a bit of a arse ......... Work more ........ Great ........ Can't freakin wait :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.