Hyundai Forums banner

2007 Amica front lower ball joint

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  IanGee 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I need to replace the right hand front lower ball joint as its leaking grease out of the rubber boot. Its all pretty rusty down there, but I can see the pinch bolt.
So if I remove the pinch bolt, will I be able to pull the old joint out or is there a circlip or some other fastener (apart from 10 years of corrosion!).

Any advice appreciated.
Ian

#2 · (Edited)
Watch video for more information
It may not be your specific vehicle but it should be enough alike as to give you a better idea of what is involved

Or try this one

Of course you don't have to follow their steps
Such as the second one, the guy takes the lower control arm off to replace the ball joint
You may not have to if you have enough room and the proper tools to do it while on the car

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at various youtube videos of hyundai suspension dismantling, but couldn't find anything similar to the amica where the body of the ball joint seems to be pressed into the hub carrier. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way of punching it out so presumably it has to be pulled out somehow. I have the whole power unit and subframe out of the car, so access is good. Was just hoping someone on here might have experience of the job.

I guess I'll release the taper onto the lower suspension arm, release the pinch bolt, open out the gap with a chisel and see if i can pull it out using an old socket or something.
Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.