Hyundai Forums banner

2018 Sonata

23K views 68 replies 34 participants last post by  Ctrcbob 
#1 ·
Press footage of the redesign. There's no narration, but it covers the car pretty well, both exterior and interior.

Still not sure what to make of the redesign.

#2 ·
More lipstick

Looks like there is an 8 speed. Wonder if it will be across all models. Is the ECO/DCT still around?

#3 ·
Still have to see it in person,but,I do not like the lower vent,grill area and how the drl's are horizontal. Looks boring imo compared to the more aggressive looking front end the 2015 -2017 Sonata. I do like the tail lights.

Reactions: AdvisorGuy
#4 ·
I like the interior refresh. The back end is more Optima, which is to say nice. While I like the big grille on the Elantra, it will have to grow on me with the Sonata.

#5 ·
Once I see the car in person at the NY auto show I'll be able to give my honest opinion but it's growing on me a little bit except for the grille. It looks like Hyundai will continue to push that hexagonal grille design for future model years being that it's already on the current model Elantra.
My only thought is that if you buy this car and you live in a state that requires a front license plate it's going to look like it was just slapped on the grille. I see that a lot on the current generation Chevy Malibu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Front looks terrible, which is exactly why I chose to purchase my 17 now. The rear looks much better to my eye though. The interior's metal look center stack looks really nice with that new matte wood trim look. The 8 speed is only for the 2.0T models. 2.4L models will stick with the 6 speed unfortunately. The grill is terrible though...I can't believe Peter Schreyer signed off on it.

#11 ·
Might still be LF... Hyundai stuck with NF on the 2009 Sonata refresh so its possible.

Im not sure I like it much but will see it in person soon I guess?

That front works on the Elantra (My girl just got the turbo Sport) but looks a little out of place on the Sonata.
The back is way too KIA for my taste.

Im hoping the next one is better if I decide to update!

#12 ·
New 8 speed? Might be a good idea to wait a year or two to see if there are any kinks with the trans.

#16 ·
I actually quite like the design...on the Elantra. I'm not sure if my hesitation is because it's too similar to the Elantra or if I don't think it translates as well as it should to the larger frame. Not that I don't like it, I think it is an attractive car, but I just like my '15 LF a bit better.

I do like (and am envious of) the 8 speed option. Though I'm not a fan of the aluminum strip around the infotainment screen. It's a little too Kia UVO for me.

I'll need to experience it in person to make a final opinon, but overall I don't think it's half bad.

Here's another vid from the NY show (and you can find a ton more on Youtube):

#28 ·
2.0T 8 speed
1.6T 7-speed DCT
2.4 6-speed

The 8-speed can improve MPG up to 7.3% when compared to the 6 speed and is almost 7.7lbs lighter.
Why even bother with the hassle/complaints of the DCT or the ancient 6 speed? I guess the 2.0T is a profitable platform to beta-test the 8-speed on consumers prior to ramping up production for other models/engines.

Genesis is RWD and Sonata is FWD. There is no comparison between a FWD and RWD transmission.

I just hope that the known engine issue is addressed.

#30 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think the 6-speed is just right, it gives good acceleration and low rpm cruising without excessive gear hunting on every little hill. When you start getting up into 8, 9, or 10 speeds you end up with a busy transmission, constantly up shifting and downshifting, not to mention extremely high repair costs if out of warranty.

I do wish they could make the 6 speed shift a little quicker though, and eliminate the 2-3 flare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.