Hyundai Forums banner

Very interesting video on how to drive a DCT

10K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  vladk2k 
#1 ·
definitely worth watching

#4 · (Edited)
I wouldn't be so harsh. While that video is more to do with what not to do, it does provide several tips on what to do. Granted, instead of simply stating "don't creep," he could have provided an example of what to do instead.

What does engaging in a 90 degree turn from a stop have to do with the clutch? I can understand the suggestion to always move the vehicle when turning to reduce stress on the steering components. Perhaps you suggest that there may be undue stress to the clutch when engaged with the steering wheel to one extreme. I'm guessing.

#5 ·
This was posted a while back and as many times as I view it including now, I always manage to either forget a step or noticed that I keep doing something wrong.
Especially the inching forward in stop and go traffic. I need to remember keep some space between my car and the one before me. To he11 with the person behind me, honking me.

As for the + - upshift/downshift, this is the third vehicle with it and although he does explain it, i have yet to figure it out. Guess I'll just leave it in drive. lol

TS

#13 ·
What's stupid is when people try to merge onto a 65mph highway at 40mph. It's an everyday occurrence during my commute. These people drive their whole lives like this, and it's clear they were never properly taught how to merge. It's not part of our driver training other than in the classroom, and the parents who taught the kids probably drive that way themselves.

It's dumb because the on-ramps are mostly downhill, why not use gravity to help accelerate the car??? It's much quicker to shave speed by using the brakes, than it is to accelerate up to highway speed from 30-40mph.

One time some idiot actually honked at me for not customarily moving over. Granted I was distracted by my 6 month old son sitting in the back, who I was consoling and trying to keep from crying. But I had my cruise control set to 70mph and there was no one in front of me and like 10 car lengths behind me. The on-ramp was downhill but I guess he didn't want to floor his truck to get up to speed. He honked for a solid 3-5 seconds, then proceeded to merge behind me, but because the left lane was clear, he acted like it was my fault for not moving over. It's not like it was some elderly guy either, he was maybe 30-40 years old. If he would have just been up to highway speed, he could have just stepped on the gas a little and merged in front of me, or stepped on a brakes a little to move behind me.

#14 ·
What a pile of utter junk. Watching that video I realise why I would never buy an automatic vehicle. They are just making cars harder and harder to drive and easier and easier to break so that the dealers can charge more people exorbitant amounts of money to fix their cars.

#15 ·
A DCT is not an "automatic." Even still, the overwhelming majority of automatic and DC transmissions across the industry are extremely reliable as long as you maintain them according to manufacturer (not dealer) recommendation.

Hyundai lacks the years of experience of VW/Audi in manufacturing dual-clutch transmissions, and it shows in the Tucson. Driving a new Tucson feels very much like a VW GTI from 10 years ago. It can be very disconcerting if you don't know what to expect (which I think explains why it doesn't sell as well in the US market compared to the CR-V, RAV4, Escape, etc). I knew what to expect when I bought mine and can live with idiosyncrasies because the rest of the package is so good.

#17 ·
Hey, I'm new here and don't really understand all of the jargon. Can you explain what leapfrogging is?

For stop & go traffic I usually just let go of the break and let the car creep over until I need to stop again. Is that a bad practice?

Also with the throttle mashing when waiting for an opening, I did that and saw the delayed response. I usually let the car go into creep before the opening comes and then press the throttle up to just before the kickdown position (in my car there's a position where you have to press harder on the throttle to go all the way).

#18 ·
My understanding of "leapfrogging" is to wait a bit until there is plenty of room to advance, advance, then stop. Avoid creeping with a DCT.

With a DCT, simply releasing the brakes to let the car creep is equivalent to driving a manual transmission with the clutch half engaged. It's not like a conventional automatic with a torque converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.