Hyundai Forums banner

What kind of Oil, oil filter do you use in your Elantra 2.0L engine?

58K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  OkieRich 
#1 ·
In the USA, go by the API ratings, an "S" something letter. SN is currently the best for good sealing, temperature, and minimum sludge. Wear resistance is something else.

Owners manual states at least API-SM and shows a Quaker State logo. Before the latest GM dexos stuff, been using Quaker State for years, the conventional stuff without engine problems even with well over 200K miles on the vehicle. With newer stuff, switched to Mobile One, but see it show much higher engine wear than Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

Other factor is how often you replace it, but dealer is pretty firm on 7,500 miles absolute maximum to maintain the warranty.

#2 ·
Hyundai filters, and Hyundai filters ONLY! Quaker State blend. Dealer does it. Last Elantra was same scenario...72,100 and never, ever experienced any problems. When was the mast time you experienced an "oil-related failure" on a vehicle that had routine service performed, by the book?

I'm sure there are some. Statistically proven. But this same statistics point heavily in the opposite direction.

Oil changes, filter types, brands, viscosities, mileage intervals, extreme/severe/normal use, etc. used to drive me up the wall and keep me awake some nights. I'm over it. I decided to throw these concerns into the laps of the oil gods. They can deal with it. The car is warranted and I am not an auto abuser.

Life's gotten so much simpler since then. See ya down the road, worry-warts!
:3gears: :grin2:

#8 ·
When was the mast time you experienced an "oil-related failure" on a vehicle that had routine service performed, by the book? Oil changes, filter types, brands, viscosities, mileage intervals, extreme/severe/normal use, etc. used to drive me up the wall and keep me awake some nights. I'm over it. I decided to throw these concerns into the laps of the oil gods. They can deal with it. The car is warranted and I am not an auto abuser. Life's gotten so much simpler since then. See ya down the road, worry-warts!
So true, after years of obsessing and doing UOA etc I came to the conclusion it really does not make any difference, with today's oils and engines the engine will outlast the rest of the vehicle with a reasonable OCI and maintenance.

#3 ·
much higher engine wear? based on what? mobil ran a bmw a million miles on 0w-30. it took 4 years. after that, they drove the car from new york to vegas for a show, then back again. the car now lives in the bmw museum in munich. no one else has had the balls to test their oil for 4 years. i seen all them 3ball, 4ball, no ball tests, bearing test, blah, blah. what oil are they all comparing it to? mobil 1. like years ago, when volvo was showing one of their cars nosing out a bmw in an acceleration test. then the actual facts came out. while the volvo did beat the bmw, the volvo had several thousand miles on it, carefully broke in. the bmw had like zero miles on it.

#4 ·
Here we go! You guys enjoy your facts, figures, testimonials, and the like. LOL :grin: Who's gonna be the first to reference BITOG? >:D
:grin2: Love a good-spirited debate. I'll just sit on the sidelines and cheer. :cheer:

Reactions: Hueydriver
#11 ·
Ha, first time I ever posted this, if a major technical question is asked, usually one response, but with engine oil, hundreds of them with opinions.

Was just curious as to why Hyundai put that Quaker State Logo in the owners manual, and if you go to the Quaker State website, they only recommend you use a Quaker State oil filter because it was designed specifically for their oil, QS14612 to be precise and only $2.84 at my Menards store. And the configuration of this filter looks exactly like the Hyundai.

I do have a socket for these these type of filters, like from 40 years ago, but does not fit the Hyundai type, so have to use that band type with a sawed off handle to squeeze into that tiny hole. But at least the spin on type, other manufacturers have switched to just that paper cartridge type and claim it saves money and the environment. But when you go to the store to buy one, its 12 bucks!

Cartridge type filters are not new, were used clear up to the 50's with very firm heavy sheet metal holders, now a piece of plastic, and back then, a new cartridge was only like 50 cents.

There is not an automotive company that I know of that makes their own oil filters and really doubt if Hyundai is making their own. But a heck of a lot more expensive at your dealers.

When I purchased that Cruze five years ago, my 45 year old oil changing ramps were worthless, too steep, had to buy these new low profile ones. Least I have these for the Elantra. Had more problems than it was worth to have my oil changed, swore they used an impact wrench on that drain plug, have no idea what they are pouring in, and even caught them cheating by not replacing that cartridge filter. With the spin on type either way too tight or ready to fall off. Even caught a kid using a coolant container with some anti-freeze in it for bulk oil. So prefer doing this job myself.

#21 · (Edited)
When I purchased that Cruze five years ago, my 45 year old oil changing ramps were worthless, too steep, had to buy these new low profile ones.[/FONT]
Winner: ramp manufacturers, filter wrench suppliers, and the like. New cars with new designs create a trickle down economic boost for specialty manufacturers.

I would probably be shocked to find out the $$$ impact that auto companies create to the economy. Supply chains, labor payrolls, tax revenues, etc.

#14 ·
Was getting ready to install zerk fittings on my ball joints, did that after warranty on my 04 Cavalier and gave them a shot of grease every once in awhile. Still good with over 150 K miles on it but road salt ate up that unibody. Was going to do this on my 2012 Cruze, but a drunken driver took that task away from me.

Hate this newer term, "maintenance free" no such thing, can add batteries and hub bearings to this list as well as all those limited lubricated bearings in these single belt drive systems. Weak link is the water pump, first to go, its sheave sees the same load as the AC compressor. Those that have to use the AC the most are the ones with the water pump problems. But hey, you only have on belt to replace, but don't mention if that one belt breaks, you are stranded.

Drilled a hole in a maintenance free battery, top of the plates were bare, sulfated and shorted out. Wouldn't be a problem if you could top those off with distilled water. Hub bearings are a nightmare to replace with road salt, also limited lubricated. Only had one Timken tapered bearing failure a new vehicle after the 12 month warranty expired, never was lubricated at the factory. But could go to a Berry Bearing store and buy a brand new one for two bucks. Some hub bearings are as high as 300 bucks each.

Claim the reason for this mechanics don't know how to adjust tapered bearings, sure got that right, must set them loose because they thing they tighten up when warm. Exactly the opposite, that outer rings expands more than the inner ring, they get loose with heat.

Would only cost a buck to make a mechanical fuel pump like new again and about a 20 minute job. Want a fortune for this plastic in the tank units, and with most vehicles, have to drop the tank to replace them. Could machine starter commutators with a diamond bit, no longer today, made out of copper foil. Another throwaway item. Better quit here or will be writing a book on this subject.

#15 ·
Quaker State sure screwed up on that oil filter number posted up above, Correct numbers are

(Hyundai 26300 35503) (Fram PH9688) (Quaker State QS14461) (WIX 51334XP)

Dealers price is $6.44 for the Hyundai 26300 35503, but for me an 80 drive. Ebay wants 15 bucks for this filter with free shipping.

Quaker State oil is extremely common around here, but practically nil on their filters. Actually manufactured by Sopus Products a division of Shell Oil Co., but made in the USA.

Which filter claims to be especially made for synthetic oils and claims to be the best? They all do. There are only four major oil filter manufacturers in the US, all must meet stringent SAE requirements. But the prices are all over the place.

#17 ·
Which filter claims to be especially made for synthetic oils and claims to be the best? They all do. There are only four major oil filter manufacturers in the US, all must meet stringent SAE requirements. But the prices are all over the place.
However, may be the same factory/assembly etc but the specs are different depending on who the end purchaser is. Like all things, appliances, tools etc, common manufacturers but the specs differ and so does the quality. There is a difference, question is, are the differences worth the $$ and in the longevity of an engine, does it make any difference in what brand one uses.

#16 ·
I'm not in an Elantra but I do have a 2.0L. I stand by Mobil 1 Extended performance. At 2500 miles I changed out the oil to Mobil 1 EP 5w20 and used the Hyundai OE oil filter. The EP is rated for 15k but I will stick to the long interval of 7500. I have had good luck in all my vehicles with Mobil 1 full synthetic oils. I have a kit from Blackstone labs and will probably send out an oil sample for analysis when I go to change it out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Not a very practical vehicle to own if there is 5" or more fresh snow on the roads. We came home in February after a long flight with 8" of fresh snow on our driveway, higher with drifts. So had to leave our Cruze on the street and walk up to get out my snowthrower first.

But wouldn't have been much help if we had a 4WD SUV either, city is not a snow removal service but a snow moving service. Moving all the snow into our driveway entrance with a pile over three foot high. Wouldn't been so bad, but the idiots in the city had to salt it first, leaving huge hung of ice. Had to dig out my pick and break it up first tossing hunks of it to the side. Fresh unsalted snow in the rest of the driveway was not to bad, but just cleared an 8 foot path to get our car back into the garage.

Was already dead tired after being treated like a criminal in those long airport inspection lines, then a five hour drive home.

Had a son that decided to be born at 1:00 AM in the morning in December, we lived 27 miles away from the hospital, had a 18 mile stretch of highway with seven inches of fresh snow. Was no problem with no salt, limited slip differential, and studded snow tires. We hit a little town, a cop stopped us to ask what in the hail we were doing out on the roads on a night like this, he quickly found out. Least that was more like a main highway, so he led the way to the rest of the trip. We made it just in time. But the way things are today, would be dead meat.

Also had to make a lot of flights back then, part of my job, just showed up five minutes before my plane took off and was okay.

#25 ·
Ha, here is a short list of oil filters that would fit the Elantra 2.0 L gas engine. Sure no shortage of numbers.

#26 ·
The rest of the list.

#31 ·
@NicholasD: So, I can, pretty much, walk into any retail outlet, grab a filter at random, and have a fair chance of it fitting, yes? ;)

That list is eye-popping.
Need to be careful what you consider "fitting".

There is thread diameter and pitch, gasket diameter, bypass valve and anti-drainback valve pressures, media type, capacity, overall height, etc.

I can't find the article, but if I remember correctly, there were certain years of the Dodge Sebring where the 2.0 and the 2.4 engine or similar used different filters but the same thread and pitch, but a different gasket diameter, so on one of the engines, the wrong oil filter would fit, but would spin off after a few thousand miles ...

#29 ·
Don't have the 2.0L engine, but my 2-cents.

Oil - the Accent 1.6 is a GDI - not sure if the 2.0 Atkinson is or not. With a GDI, it is good to have a low NOACK number on the oil. Quaker State or Pennzoil are especially good for this. I will probably run Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic, but I'm pretty sure SuperTech Synthetic or even SuperTech Dino will be fine.

Filter - Hyundai while it is under warranty. They are $6.44 at the dealer and I think you can find them around $5 or less on E-bay. 26300 35503 | eBay - $7 individually on E_bay, but you can find six for $30 with free shipping. Problem with E-bay is you don't know if they are real or counterfeit.

I don't think the Hyudai filter is necessarily better than a good aftermarket, but it is probably good enough and Hyundai is pretty fussy about using it.

#30 ·
Don't have the 2.0L engine, but my 2-cents.

Oil - the Accent 1.6 is a GDI - not sure if the 2.0 Atkinson is or not.

The 2.0 Atkinson is not a GDI, regular multiport injection.

The 2.0 NU is a GDI.

#33 ·
No doubt - it was one of those smh type things, although I think it was just a weird coincidence where the 2.4 designers spec'd one filter and the 2.0 spec'd another and it was just coincidence that both engines ended up in the same year, make, and model and ALMOST interchanged.

Personally, I miss the old days when the FL-1A fit 95% of Fords and what it didn't fit took an FL-300 which was just a shorter version of the same filter.

Then again - it's almost as good - I think the 26600-35503 (35502/35504) fits every Hyundai that doesn't use a cartridge filter ...

#34 ·
Bit superstitious about ordering a half a dozen filter, just did that for our Cruze that was totaled six weeks ago, genuine AC Delco. But then on this new Limited, paying an extra ten bucks a month for brand new vehicle replacement, just in case another drunk comes along. So should get some use out of them.

Ha, will check with my dealer to see if he will sell me the Hyundai filters at the $4.21 price. See I can use blends in this engine, but blend really never has been part of my vocabulary. Read the back of the Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30 Motor Oil, even has a dexos label on it with an API SN rating, was very impressed, and four bucks cheaper than Mobile One. So that is sitting on my shelve now, something about a 7 buck coupon from Quaker, haven't quite figured that out yet. But the price differential between conventional and synthetic oils is getting down to a few cents per quart.

Engine is the non-turbo type Atkinson, darn thing is so quite have to look at the tach to make sure its running at traffic lights. This is not an objection.

88 Supra with a turbo in survived quite well with the first 50K miles on using conventional oil, and always stuck with Quaker State, now they are saying to use only full synthetic with a turbo to honor the warranty.

#35 ·
a while ago, when i was selling parts, bmw had produced a mid engine car, the M1. they had to produce more than 400 units(i think the total was like 480) for homologation. it had a dry sump, and the oil filter was a spin on, made by mahle(at that time, produced under the brand name purolator, NOT to be confused with present day purolator), a PC261. a similar filter, made by mahle(purolator) for the porsche 911 was a PC260. they both looked near identical. the pc261 cost like 100 bucks more than the pc260, and was hard to find. so the m1 owners started using the pc260. a shop that serviced several of the m1 cars saw a lot of them come in with the pc260, so he cut both open to see what was the difference. guess what? the oil flow was reversed. they both fit perfect, but only 1 worked correctly. i like to put factory stuff on the car as much as possible. i also was a product manager for a big direct imported of parts, and i saw a lot of really sneaky stuff. some by the oe suppliers, who would also sell in the aftermarket. and a lot of flat out counterfeit stuff.

#36 ·
With ADBV and BPV, if flow of the filter is reversed, engine failure would occur. So, I don't believe that the shop cutting open a filter had a clue to the way that the oil flows thru it. I am also pretty sure that BMW still sells a filter for the M1 for <$50, along with other filter manufacturers that show cross-referencing capability. I'd wager that media flow/micron rate and BPV pressure were probably a little different. Dry sump or not, a filter is just a filter. And, it would be difficult to support the media if flow were reverse thru the canister... media would balloon. So, I won't believe that reverse flow story. Too many ol' wives tales out there.

Sad that some people would pay $200+ for a certain filter PN manufactured 35+ years ago just to gather some brownie points at a car show. I doubt that ANY cellulose media that is that old is usable after that many years of biodegrading(along with the glues, rotted valves....). **** clueless rich purists! The correct colored filter and PC261 PN is available for $170 if you want to cut it open to prove the shop wrong.

Concerning knockoffs, ebay/amazon/online.... I've seen plenty and would never buy 6-pack or 12-pack of oil filters. I prefer a newish filter in all my vehicles. With 2 oil changes per year, I don't think I would want to use a filter sitting in my shed, basement, or garage for a couple years. Wife doesn't allow me to store car parts on the coffee table anymore. Hyundai had a couple youtube videos concerning knock-offs. Unless you know what you are looking for, you wouldn't even know it was a fake.

Hyundai uses a 20mm threaded filter, similar to what Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, .... use. Many are interchangeable as different automakers swap suppliers based on whoever wins the "lowest bid" for the part run. I am not sure I want to spend $20k on a vehicle and use the dealer's lowest bid filter. I'll stick with my Ultra, Boss, Platinum.... filters. I am not a nationalist and don't believe I need to use a Korean filter in my assembled in America Korean car(unlike those KnotSee's in the BMW/VW... forums that only buy parts made in Germany). Maybe I should just start buying Daewha filters....

Reactions: Tiger-Heli
#41 ·
Bulk Valvoline 5w-20 with flying H filter. Dealer has the records, I have an empty file drawer at home and traceability to him in the event of an oil-related failure. Which I figure the probability next to zero. My new mower has a better chance of rusting through the deck before I get engine failure from regularly scheduled oil/filter changes.

Reminds me. This Saturday. Going in for one. Think I might ask my buddies in the tech bays their opinion of the new Mobil synthetic 100k claim. Might grab a comfy chair. Could be a long discussion and an all morning affair. LOL

Love stirring up the pot down there at the dealer's. Anymore, they kind of half-way expect it. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.