Hyundai Forums banner

Dislikes - Santa fe 2013

102K views 376 replies 134 participants last post by  MuzzleFlash 
#1 · (Edited)
I think over all the Santa fe is a good car. But goal of this thread is to tell readers what to pay attention in their 15 mins test drive before they make a decision to buy. I test drove the car 5 times so far and found some dislikes.

Dislikes Santa fe 2013
1) Biggest one -- The blind spot of the car is really huge because of the rear windows design tapering up. I was not able to tell with confidence if there was something in my blind spot while driving. Hyundai should have really offered a blind spot monitoring system on this design. Not sure if people will see it as a safety concern?

2) No power lift gate not even as a paid option.

3) Despite the three DS modes Steering feels as if it's drive by wire.

4) I noticed the rear hatch is very light to close and open. May be it's really good design by Hyundai engineers. But I found that if you notice the door carefully when you slam it down it wiggles a bit which kind of gives the feeling that it's not strong enough and really made of very thin steel (May be this is where they used HT steel :) ). But I may be wrong on this one.

See less See more
#323 ·
Finally found something that really bugs me...

Seems that there`s no way to adjust the climate control function so that air is directed to the windshield ONLY...

The only choice seems to be the windshield & the lower vents...unless I`m missing something?...:(

#326 ·
We will have had our SF Sport 2.0T for just 3 months on the 18th of July. Looks like we will average about 600 miles a month on this one. Retired and do not take many long trips other than to see the son and his wife 243 miles away in NC a few times a year.

2. Power (although I have yet to floor it, only 1750 miles on the clock).

3. Handling. Comfortable ride but good handling. That is with 33 psi Nitrogen filled tires.

Dislikes:
1. Poor MPG for a 4 cylinder. Seems to be creeping up with the miles but not getting the mpg the 2010 SF SE 3.5 V6. Power feels the same as the 274 HP 3.5.

2. No power seat memory. I have a short wife.

Dislikes that are NOT a big deal:

1. No power lift on the rear hatch. Wife wanted it but says the rear hatch is much easier to pull down and latch than the 2010.

2. I don't think it has any blind spots if the 3 rear vies mirrors are adjusted properly. BUT, I wish the rear seat head rests would fold down like the 2010 SE. Cuts down on vision on the inside rear view. I have pulled them out and stored them in the "trunk".

3. Not crazy about the trunk cover. Too flimsy, too many sections. I liked the larger, one piece, stronger, latched cover in the 2010. The trunk is sectioned off too many times, sections too small.

4. Rear cargo cover ( an accessory add on) does not go as far forward as the 2010 which reduces the front to back area that can be covered. Can be moved to the rear more which allows the rear seats to recline more but really cuts down on the storage space behind the seats.

5. Have not found front mud guards that will fit over the dealer installed running boards.

6. Wish the steering wheels right and left spokes were angled down. They are directly at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions where I have always held the wheel and too wide. I do like the "swell" in the material where I do hold the wheel though.

7. Wish the tails lights were ALL LED.

Over all we both love the vehicle. We'll see after the three year lease is up if we will buy it or not.

#328 ·
I just purchased a 7 passenger a couple of weeks ago. While overall, I enjoy the Santa Fe, there are a few items I would change:

1. Can only get 7 passenger seating with GLS model

2. Need to "accept" navigation warning or it will never go away. Friend has a Dodge Durango and his will go away after a little time.

3. No button to release lift gate from cabin.

4. No option for proximity key on 7 passenger GLS. Proximity key is available on the Limited but limited is only a 6 passenger.

4. No option for panoramic sunroof on 7 passenger. Same reason as proximity key.

5. Stereo sound quality is horrible even with the Dimension system.

6. Would like a better horn. The horn on our Toyota Camery sounds much better.

7. Would like a chirp (not from the horn) to confirm doors locked when using FOB, and make it so that I can turn it off with the settings menu if I desire.

8. No option for a power lift gate.

There may be more, but that's it right now.

#331 ·
I believe you posted in the wrong forum. The Santa Fe LWB 7 Seater forum is here: DM 2013+ LWB 7 Seater models - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
John

I just purchased a 7 passenger a couple of weeks ago. While overall, I enjoy the Santa Fe, there are a few items I would change:

2. Need to "accept" navigation warning or it will never go away. Friend has a Dodge Durango and his will go away after a little time.

4. No option for proximity key on 7 passenger GLS. Proximity key is available on the Limited but limited is only a 6 passenger.

4. No option for panoramic sunroof on 7 passenger. Same reason as proximity key.

7. Would like a chirp (not from the horn) to confirm doors locked when using FOB, and make it so that I can turn it off with the settings menu if I desire.

#334 ·

I'm still shocked that the dealers do not have any Limited's in stock. I understand it's a production issue around the country. Some key features are only available on the Limited trim such as sunroof, proximity key, power lift gate, and upgraded infinity sound system (which is very good in my opinion). It's a shame you can't get any of those options on a GLS, and it's a shame you can't get a 7 seat Limited.

I got the one and only Limited my dealer had on the lot. Just happened to be the color and have the options I wanted. Looking back, it's a little surprising that I was able to get the deal I got. Usually when cars are in short supply, dealers don't want to deal. In fact, another couple came in asking about a Limited while I was at the dealer. I heard another sales guy tell them that they only had 1 on the lot, and that guy over there (pointing at me) was buying it.

#336 ·
When I was at my dealer on Saturday, they had four or five of them.
There are 7 Hyundai dealers within a 25 mile radius of me. Combined, they have a total of 6 SF Limited AWD and 13 SF Limited FWD in stock. Ironically, of those 19 Limiteds, 12 are at one dealer. The remaining 6 dealers have a grand total of 7 Limiteds on their lot. My dealer has no Limiteds in stock at the moment.

#329 ·
[

Well I have SFS with pano sunroof and I'd gladly swap it for your soild roof - and if you drive a hard bargain I'll throw my wife in the deal - she wanted the pano roof and I can't put my kayak up there.

So regards the stereo - and this happened just week - my wife is the primary driver and we've had the SFS since Nov and I wasn't overly impressed with the Infinity system - preferring the 7 speaker Harmon Kardon in my Saab - I don't play the music overly loud - but while driving the SFS a station played 3 Led Zep songs in a row - Black Dog, Whatever is and never should be, dazed and confused. I cranked it and oh yes the Infinity stepped up and proved it's value. Played at lower volume levels I think the sound is so so.
Up loud - it delivers.

#337 ·
Seatbelt blowing

Hey guys if ou have the driver window down and you seatbelt is not on does the buckle bang against the pillar and make noise? Anyway to stop this if not wearing seatbelt. And yes I do wear mine. But sometimes I am going just local and don't wear it all the time I know, so need to tell me to wear it all the time.

#339 ·
Hey guys if ou have the driver window down and you seatbelt is not on does the buckle bang against the pillar and make noise? Anyway to stop this if not wearing seatbelt. And yes I do wear mine. But sometimes I am going just local and don't wear it all the time I know, so need to tell me to wear it all the time.
The fix is simple wear the dam* thing!!!! Did you know that the majority of deaths related to not wearing seat belts take place close, as in "local", to home??? The young people around here think its cool to NOT wear them and are dying because of it.
Come to SC. Its a law down here and its enforced. Don't care how close the beer store is.:D

There, haven't been able to sound like a Dad for quite a while!!! My son is 48 and has heard it all. Wears his belts too.:)

#338 ·
Wear the belt

You will find Hyundai did that for a reason the drivers side is the only belt in the truck that does not have a loop in the belt to stop it from making noise on the pillar, you know the laws differ from Canada and the USA but I still don't understand why people don't ware their belts, just don't.

#341 ·
YES!! My wife looked like a kid when you saw her through the passengers window. She is 5' 2" and for the first time in a vehicle I was looking down at her. Found this cushion that is comfortable and gets her right up where she want to be. BTW, the seat air bag sensor knows she is there.

G
#347 ·
So far my only complaints are, no power lift gate, no power folding side mirrors, no seat and mirror memory, and one NEW issue. Out Pano sun roof is making a squeaky noise when open and i hit a bump. Dealer will be seeing this soon. Hopefully an easy fix. Other than that, for my money, this is the finest value buy in this segment by a wide margin. Of course, that's just one man's opinion. Value is subjective.

#348 ·
Had my SFS for two months, and so far I love it. The lack of a power liftgate is really the only thing I'm not happy about, but I can live with that. I don't have the sunroof so no problems there. Really, the SFS had the options I wanted in the 2.4 Premium (and the dealer had one) - so that's the model I got.

All in all, so far I'm happy with the vehicle. And I had a chance to use the seat and steering wheel warmers this morning (it was about 4 degrees C in Ottawa when I left for work today!) - those are really nice options to have!

#354 ·
Had my SFS for two months, and so far I love it. The lack of a power liftgate is really the only thing I'm not happy about, but I can live with that. I don't have the sunroof so no problems there. Really, the SFS had the options I wanted in the 2.4 Premium (and the dealer had one) - so that's the model I got.

All in all, so far I'm happy with the vehicle. And I had a chance to use the seat and steering wheel warmers this morning (it was about 4 degrees C in Ottawa when I left for work today!) - those are really nice options to have!
Have any of you had a power lift gate? My dad has on his Ford Edge. He pressed the button to open the gate. I had to wait what felt like an eternity for it to open. I tried pulling up on it and it doesn't speed it up. I would hate to be constantly waiting to open my trunk. I am impatient not lazy. I MUCH prefer to walk up to my car and just press the trunk to open it and lift and have it open. Also, nothing like reaching into the trunk and leaning on the remote and having the lift gate start closing on you. Sure it chimes ding ding "I am closing", but the idea sounds dangerous. The only feature I like about a power lift gate is pressing a button to have it close while I walk away. Ford and the likes can have that feature and Hyundai can keep it's costs down imo.

#350 ·
I only noticed today since it was raining but when my lights are set to "auto" and I turn on the windshield wipers for longer then 30 seconds my tail/head lights do not come on. The last two (pontiac/dodge) had this feature, which was nice when going 100km on the expressway in the rain you knew once activated your lights will come on.

#351 · (Edited)
I have had the SFS 2.0T since March 2013. Really love most things about the car. It's the best looking medium sized CUV IMO on the road. It's a solid feeling car...doesn't feel cheap in any way. However, there are a few things that would make the 2013 SFS even better:

1. A power rear lift gate like most others have stated.

2. A rear trunk release button. It's on the FOB, but should also be on the dash somewhere.

3. Improvement in the steering feel. It really does have a tendency to wander especially at highway speeds. Too much steering correction needs to take place.

4. LED front and rear lights would be a plus. Most new cars have these and the SFS should also.

5. The auto headlight function needs to be more sensitive so that when it rains and the wipers are running, the lights should also come on.

6. This is minor, but wouldn't it be cool if the exhaust had a more powerful sound to it? Sounds a little farty when you have the engine running and you go to the back and hear the somewhat wimpy exhaust note. The FIAT 500 turbo sounds nice and its engine is less powerful than the SFS.

Nothing is perfect, but these are just some things that would make the SFS even a better vehicle.

#357 ·
Silly "sour grapes" objections to power lift gates. You don't walk up to car, then open gate; you initiate opening in advance so it is available when you need it. For example, you hit the lift gate open button on your remote when you're about four cars away in your golf cart. By the time you get to your car, the gate is wide open and ready to get your street shoes out of and plunk your clubs into. Similarly, when you're inside the vehicle and know you need to get something out of the back, you ding the open button BEFORE you get out. By the time you get to the rear, the lift gate/trunk is wide open and you can do your thing.

Long story short: once you have power lift gate capability, like anything else, you learn to optimize its use. And, once optimized, you will never want to go without the feature. All else here is silly sniping and pointless grousing. Once Hyundai FINALLY gets their act together, there won't be a SINGLE objection by anyone to the power lift gate!

#359 ·
Baloney.
I owned a Buick Enclave before the Santa Fe. We thought we would miss the power lift gate, but turns out I prefer not having it for the most part.
I can't tell you how many times I held my breath waiting to see if the thing would break, especially if there was snow/ice on the bumper that didn't get cleaned off. And, it was slow.

#358 ·
I share a lot of the same gripes, but want to add few for the 8" infotainment system:

- Can't connect to multiple phones simultaneously - my '12 Dodge Journey could, and you select a preference so the vehicle knows which one to make outbound calls from
- iPod/USB voice options - in the Dodge you can hit voice function, and say "Play artist <artist name>" and it finds that artist and plays it
- When listening to a song, you can't hit the artist currently playing to take you to that artist, a great feature when shuffling and get in the mood for a band that comes on
- All iPod/USB audio settings reset/go wonky when you turn the car off/restart it, like shuffle and go back (go up one folder or whatever)
- Lack of default screen customization options
- Again, the Dodge would start the heated seats automatically when the temperature was low as part of the climate system
- Not enough kick out of the Infinity sub
- Mode button on steering wheel goes through all media modes, which is annoying when I just want to cycle through the 3 satellite radio preset lists

*some iPod issues may be due to my classic iPod, but they worked on my Journey

#361 ·
calm things down people. inappropriate comments deleted, and warnings issued.
-keep it up, and you better have your bags packed; 2-week vacations will be issued.

#362 · (Edited)
I now have more than 7000 on my 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T

Cons:
No memory seats
No hatch release on dash
Steering feel in all 3 modes sucks! I do like Comfort in town and under 30 mph.
Blind Spots are way bad and require serious mirror adjustments.
Wind Noise 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Gauges who ever decided to use that color? You can't see gauge readings in the sunlight.
Auto Wipers would have been nice.
Blue Link is a total joke and way too much money. We have two cell phones and a Tom-Tom. I'll bet most folks do that can afford this car do. The NAV is totally redundant and the Blue Link NAV even more so.
Can only pair one cell phone...Really?

Pros:
Everything else!
Tailgate is light
Mileage is excellent in and out of town
Engine is powerful even in the hills of Idaho and on the 80+ mph roads in Utah.

Over all super happy! Fix the steering feel. With 3 modes you'd think one would be good.

#364 ·
I now have 17,000kms and my latest hate is you cant close the sunroof after you turn the car off. I don't know how many times I've forgotten to close the thing, turned the car off only to have to put it back into "run" mode.

Being able to use the wipers in "acc" mode would be nice to when your just sitting in the car without engine on.

#367 · (Edited)
I've had my 2.4 AWD Premium for a week now and I'm ok with it. I don't really know what to expect with wind noise as I had a 2004 clunker before. I think I can hear something, but it may just be the cold Saskatchewan highways.

However, I JUST noticed that my trim has no switch/lever at the back to fold the rear seats. I thought all trims had it! I also noticed that the tailgate is heavy and sometimes I even have to press the button twice to get it to open. Anyone else have this problem? Is it maybe a hydraulics issue on cold Canadian winters?

#368 · (Edited)
However, I JUST noticed that my trim has no switch/lever at the back to fold the rear seats. I thought all trims had it! I also noticed that the tailgate is heavy and sometimes I even have to press the button twice to get it to open. Anyone else have this problem? Is it maybe a hydraulics issue on cold Canadian winters?
I think only the 2.4 Luxury and 2.0T SE or Limited has the switch in the back to fold the rear seats. Very strange decision as it's only a manual switch and not an electronic/hydraulic/etc one.

As for the tailgate, you need to first push the button and hear the lock disengage, and then push and hold onto the button and lift. It seems I cannot push the button and immediately lift the gate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.