Hyundai Forums banner

AWD drive malfunction

24K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  ticket 
#1 ·
I have an 07 Limited and lately the AWD isnt working properly, it tries to engage, the esc goes on, and then the AWD drive light comes on, and after a while it goes off, but will come back on when it tries to kick in the rear wheels into drive,

What could the issue be? Before i head to my app to get it checked out, next monday

#2 ·
as i understand....the awd system is only good up to speeds 25 mph and below. above that, it is not engaged.

you didn't specifically mention the scenario when this happens...but...that could be one of the culprits.

#4 ·
you have a lock button on the dash...i'm assuming it is engaged.

for some reason, i'm betting this isn't like a rav4 or crv system...and definately not a subaru set-up, meaning, i don't think the awd will kick in automatically like the others do when it detects wheel slippage. i'm guessing that it has to be locked in for it to work.

if you have it locked in and it still wont' engage...and if you still have a warranty...it should be well worth a visit to the dealership to diagnose and get repaired.

#5 ·
In normal mode (AWD Lock not selected), the system functions like a FWD vehicle. If it detects a loss of traction, the system will automatically apply power to the rear (AWD mode) to regain traction, it will then return to FWD mode when traction is regained. The AWD LOCK function (when engaged) will apply power to all wheels for increased traction (similar to a transfer case/differential lock) but will automatically dis-engage above approx 20KPH to prevent damage to the system.

#7 ·
If it's the AWD light on the instrument cluster, then it's indicating a problem with the system. There should be a code set in the ECU but they are usually not accessible with a generic OBD scan tool. It could be as simple as a low fluid level in the transfer-case or impending sensor failure.

#8 ·
So i took it in today, after 2 hours they came to me saying they couldnt find the problem and waiting on Hyundai tech to help, 2 hours after they came back and said the Coupler needed to be replaced at a cost of 2030.00.

It also gave them codes B0E00 U3A00.

Im a little skeptical, not sure as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Any other advice

#9 · (Edited)
So i took it in today, after 2 hours they came to me saying they couldnt find the problem and waiting on Hyundai tech to help, 2 hours after they came back and said the Coupler needed to be replaced at a cost of 2030.00.

It also gave them codes B0E00 U3A00.

Im a little skeptical, not sure as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Any other advice
www.fourgreen.com - Hyundai/Kia - VERACRUZ - COUPLING ASSY-4WD - 4780024700

You can sign up to HMASERVICE, it free and you'll have access to a lot of information.

#11 ·
thanks for the link, saving a grand on the part when i choose to fix it is great.

Where can i find out what the codes mean, i got another code today from my scanner and cant find it anywhere. U17E8

Also that HM service thing wouldnt let me sign up as ToS was blank and no where to accept it. (figure it out, needed to run it IE not firefox)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.