Hyundai Forums banner

Radio System Problems

86K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Kent Hepditch 
#1 ·
Thought I'd document an issue I had today with the radio/multimedia unit on my base (non-tech) 2013 Elantra GT. Basically the head unit crashed and wouldn't go into radio mode at all. Some buttons would work but very few and the screen often contained gibberish.

I cycled the ignition key when I was stopped and this solved the problem for a minute or so, but then it returned. When I got home, I pulled the fuse for the radio unit which caused a hard reset where I had to enter the date/time again. (It remembered my bluetooth pairings though.) That seemed to bring things back to normal. I think there are some bugs in the system.

If your radio needs "rebooting" it's a 15A fuse marked "Multimedia" in the interior fusebox which is accessed behind a plastic panel just above the driver's left knee. Might save you a needless trip to the dealer.

- Mark

#2 ·
I just wanted to thank you for the info.

When I got into my car tonight I whacked my calf on the side panel (I guess near where the fuse box is). I then started the car and my radio wouldn't turn on at all. I cycled the ignition a few times but nothing. I figured I'd have to call the dealership tomorrow (even though the car is brand new these things happen).

I just read your post and went up and did the same thing and now my radio works.

Now I'm wondering about my build quality if I can accident smack a side panel and have the fuses come loose :p

#4 ·
Mine has been doing something similar - 2 days after I purchased it I started the car and began to drive and the headunit rebooted. Everything was fine afterwards.

2 days ago while driving home from work, I had just started the car and begun to drive and it did it again. Basically what happens is that it just stops, goes black and reboots as if you just started the car.

I'm not sure what's up but if it keeps doing it I'll bring it up with the dealership.

#5 ·
I'm not sure what's up but if it keeps doing it I'll bring it up with the dealership.
I've has these reboots a few times too. Do you have a BT phone? I figure these glitches are probably associated with the pairing software.

Since the problem corrects itself and is probably not reproducible, I doubt you'll have much luck convincing the dealer to do anything, but let us know how that goes if you try.

- Mark

#10 ·
Mine has done the same thing as well..
The first time it was just a blank screen that stayed on.. Couple weeks ago it was as i turned off the car, and the current song info just stayed on.

Called em and they ordered a new radio in, hopefully that will fix it

Mine also at times does the "reset" thing where it will turn off and ccome back on.

Hope a new radio will fix that as well

#12 ·
Get a video of it not working and if they don't fix or replace it, at the very least show it to another dealer.

I have mentioned intermittent issues to my dealer before on my Touring and a video of it was good enough for them to honour the warranty. Your dealer is being lazy for some reason.

#13 ·
I have experienced some squirrelly behavior of my radio also. One time with the iPod hooked up, it stopped updating the screen. Would not respond to buttons on wheel or radio. Another time it would not recognize either CD or iPod. Just cycled right past them when going through modes like they weren't even there. Both times a shutdown and restart resolved the problem. Kind of like rebooting Windoze. LOL

#14 ·
And oddly enough, I experienced a different problem today. Using iPod, mid song it jumped to the next song, but did not change info. Pressed "back" twice to get to original song and it played to the same point and repeated the behavior. Pressed "next", the info changed and the music stopped. Pressed "next" again and it went to the following song and played correctly the rest of the drive.

#16 ·
ok did again yesterday morning, wanted to bring it back to dealer. at the end of the day , the problem was gone. the service employee said that the problem need to be present to diagnostic and probably change the radio. i ve got pissed and i talked to the service manager. he ordered a new radio without cheking my car !

talk to the service manager if you have any problems !

#17 ·
Good to hear they are fixing it for you. The staff on hand should have referred this intermittent issue to the service manager themselves in the first place IMO.

G
#19 ·
Hyundai Elantra 2013 radio loses all sound; how to fix

Thanks Mark very much for the info. My symptoms on my 2013 Hyundai Elantra (loaded) were that the radio buttons all lit up but there was no sound. I read your note and my owner's manual which said to get a (white) plastic tool out of the second fuse box in the engine compartment. I did that and removed the panel by the steering wheel. I used my cel phone flash light app and removed both the 20 Amp and 7.5 Amp fuses using the white plastic tool to grip the fuses and to replace them after 30 seconds - then push them all the way in. I turned on the radio - and got sound on all bands (AM/FM XM). Way easier than going to a dealer!
TQ

#20 ·
Radio unit problem

I have similar problems.
First the CD went AWAL. (Yes I still have CDs).
A few times the complete unit will not come on when I start the car.
I thought it was the fuse but it wasn't. It returns to normal after I park it for a bit (about 30 minutes usually will do the trick).
Sometimes the control will just freeze and not react, you will be stuck on the same station at the same volume. If you recycle the car at that time, the radio will not come back on. Again, parking the car for a while will generally have things back to normal.
I will ask the dealer for a replacement unit next time I bring the car in for service.

#20 ·
Similar problem solved by removing the fuse

Hi! I had a similar problem this week-end, more than 4 years after purchasing my Elantra GT 2013 (in Canada, in case it makes any difference). When I started the car, the radio "jammed"; no radio-related button was working, there was just no way to use the radio, and the clock was stuck to the date & time at which I started the car. Most importantly, the clock screen was not turning off when I was removing the key from the ignition, there was no way to shut this down! The next day, my car was still showing the date & time of when the problem started!! I was able to fix the problem by removing the fuse marked at "MULTIMEDIA" (for 30 seconds), and inserting it back on. It solved everything. I wanted to share this experience in case it could help anybody.

Note: I didn't have the right tool to remove the fuse, but long-nose pliers worked perfectly.

#21 ·
Hi! I had a similar problem this week-end, more than 4 years after purchasing my Elantra GT 2013 (in Canada, in case it makes any difference). When I started the car, the radio "jammed"; no radio-related button was working, there was just no way to use the radio, and the clock was stuck to the date & time at which I started the car. Most importantly, the clock screen was not turning off when I was removing the key from the ignition, there was no way to shut this down! The next day, my car was still showing the date & time of when the problem started!! I was able to fix the problem by removing the fuse marked at "MULTIMEDIA" (for 30 seconds), and inserting it back on. It solved everything. I wanted to share this experience in case it could help anybody.

Note: I didn't have the right tool to remove the fuse, but long-nose pliers worked perfectly.
the fuse puller is located in the fuse box in the engine compartment....

I have 2013 with a Nav system - bought new in 2012.
In 2016 i had my first issues with the back-up Camera display... put the car in reverse, and the screen was black except for the coloured lines that show up on the display to guide you. Put car in drive, the radio display didn't show up either.... stayed black. Happened twice over a couple weeks. Both times, shutting down the car and restarting cleared the problem. Wasn't the camera itself as far as I could tell. It was functioning well at the rear.
Power switch on the radio did not help. I will remember pulling the fuse if it really becomes stuck.

#22 ·
Fuse Reboot

Mark's suggestion...

If your radio needs "rebooting" it's a 15A fuse marked "Multimedia" in the interior fusebox which is accessed behind a plastic panel just above the driver's left knee. Might save you a needless trip to the dealer.

...worked perfectly. I am going to give my dealer an earful tomorrow because just a few months ago this happened and they told me they had done a reboot on the radio-audio and charged me $70 for what I just did in 2 minutes.

I suspect the problem in my car is from people using the USB port as a charger.
I'm going to put USB chargers in the the two 12v outlets and have passengers use those instead.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.