Hyundai Forums banner

A-pillar blind spot

12K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Mosalahman 
#1 ·
We have a 2012 Sonata and my wife is having a hard time with the blind spot created by the a-pillar and mirror. She has come close to hitting two pedestrians now even after carefully checking both ways. I was not with her when this occurred but she is generally careful so I don't think she was just being careless/not paying attention.
Has anyone else noticed this and, if so, what have you done to minimize the risk of pulling out or turning when it's not safe to do so?
She went from a large SUV with tons of visibility to the Sonata with what I would call very limited visibility. The door sills are very high, the window openings are very small and the pillars/mirrors take up a large amount of space so with all these variables combined, she's having a hard time.
Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
I have to say that I don't have that much of a problem with the Sonata A-pillar and mirror creating blind spots. That said, I like a higher-than-most driving position, so I have the seat up pretty high. Therefore, I look down to see the mirror. I actually picked this driving position for leg comfort on long trips (not that I do that many in my Sonata), but perhaps that is part of the difference in visibility between us?

#3 ·
Nor would I say that there is a big problem for me; however I'm a pretty big guy (6'2"). I have my seat quite low as well. I have driven some cars that I have a hard time seeing people on the other side of the A-pillar. Tell her to move the seat into a position as jglopic suggested; a bit higher up and I'm going to say a little more forward. Don't eat the wheel but that will give her a better position to see past the pillar. If there is someone hidden behind it they'll be further away from the car (due to the viewing angle being blocked).

#4 ·
I've noticed this problem when checking the passenger side for on coming cars. Especially when the car is on s hill at an upward angle because the a pillar gets more horizontal. Tst srea along with the huge freakin mirrors blocks the view. I usually just remain careful and move my head around the pillar but it's made more difficult when there is a passenger in the way.

No easy solve other than being more careful.

#5 ·
I've not noticed the mirrors being an issue, but the pillars definately are. The pillars between the front and rear door are also a bit of an issue to me, too. I've had my Sonata for about three months (hey - 3 months today!). I just figured it's something I am going to have to learn to work around.

#7 ·
The A pillars are massive. I've learned to adjust to this but I've had a few close moments before I got used to them.

#10 ·
+1
This is an industry trend. The 5 star safety rating is a big selling point. The A-pillars will soon get a little smaller again with the use of more exotic high strength steels and the next generation of air bags. This will add cost to vehicles so expect to see it first in the already expensive upscale luxury sedans.

#9 ·
The Sonata has many blind spots...I agree with the OP....

#11 ·
Definitely have had the same issue. Just about clobbered a guy at a 4-way stop, simply because he was directly behind the pillar/mirror and I never saw him. I have since learned that I will just have to lift my head up a little bit and be a bit more defensive in situations such as this. (Have also noticed the same issue with our Tucson, in which we sit MUCH higher. If you get your seat height at just the wrong place, the pillar and mirror are MASSIVE!)

#12 ·
I've found that the A pillars on newer cars are wider due to the extreme raking of the windshield, which has more surface area, hence more weight...probably due to the pressure of the windshield requiring a fatter pillar. That said the blind spot on my Sonata is NOTHING compared to the 2009 Prius I traded it for it.

#13 ·
Yep, wide pillars are a trend now. My Dodge Ram's are huge compared to the Sonata. Luckily I read about that issue before I bought it and it has saved me because I am extra careful to look around the area of the pillars. So the Sonata is no problem in that regard for me because I'm used to it.

#14 · (Edited)
I can't see how the A-pillars could be a problem. You can't really hit someone except for the front of your car if going forward and the A-pillars don't reduce that visibility when it comes to slow moving pedestrians. Similiarly, a faster moving car will move from out of the A-pillar obstructed view quickly and if one is being attentive I find I have no issues. The attentive part is sort of like backing out between two vehicles in a parking lot. You have to do not just one, but many checks for approaching vehicles as your vehicle starts to move. Those vehicles on each side of you also create HUGE BLIND SPOTS and we seem to adapt to them fairly well ... that is we know they are there and adapt to reduce their impact.

Larry

#19 ·
I would disagree with that, Larry. Twice, in the EARLY days of driving my car, I've come up to a 4-way-stop, at exactly the same speed as the vehicle from my left. He was hidden the entire way. The only things that saved me were (1) my passenger commenting on the other car, and (2) my own extra cautiousness because of the first incident!

Either way, we all do need to be a bit more careful with these newer, "safer" cars! :D

#16 · (Edited)
While the Sonata's do have blind spots its not any/or much worse than other new "A" pillar designs with the requirement to contain airbags. Rear vision is greatly improved by the folding mirrors that were installed by some forum members. These mirrors are not just "eye candy" but a decided advantage in improving side and rear vision. Until better steel and more compact airbags are available drivers will have to adjust their driving methods.

The folding mirrors have a larger head and convex glass on both the driver and passenger locations. Both help improve side and rear vision. Some driver adjustment is needed with these mirrors as the rear view appears closer in the mirror. The entire mirror surface is somewhat like the small, stick on, eyeball mirrors.

Bob

#17 ·
Unfortunately, in the US and Canada government regulations require the driver side mirror to provide "unit magnification", i.e., an undistorted 1:1 reflection achieved with a flat mirror. Convex (on the driver's side) and aspheric (on any side) mirrors are technically illegal, despite the fact that many studies show that they improve safety.

#21 ·
Larry, just a story from a co-worker few years back. 4 of them are heading to lunch in his blazer. they are trying to turn left. Kent (driver) is wanting to go, but the car in front of him isn't going. the passenger, Mark, starts telling Ken to watch out, don't hit him. Kent is thinking of the guy in front of him. Kent starts to make his turn then *BAM* - Kent hits something that knocks his driver mirror off the car. What the he** he shouts. mark says, dude, i told you to watch out for him.

it was a pedestrian, who was crossing the street...trying to go between the first car at the intersection waiting to turn left and Kent who was at the crosswalk. Kent never saw him due to the blind spot. knocked the guy down. he refused an ambulance and just wanted a ride home. Kent took him home!

so...there are times and scenarios where those pesky A-pillars create blind spots. just have to be more aware now as a driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.