Hyundai Forums banner

Pairing Failed/bluetooth Issue

18K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  aelaan 
#1 ·
Since bought new and dealer paired/synced my wifes phone when bought at dealer, everytime she starts the 2011 santa fe V6 SE, 2-3 seconds after car starts, the radio comes on and says/states 'pairing failed'? Why? Her phone is synched/paired because I know it works since I have called her using bluetooth while she was driving and she has used bluetooth on her phone while calling me and it works. Any ideas on why her phone when starting her santa fe still states 'pairing failed' everytime she starts her santa fe up. Seems very odd to me, agree?

#3 ·
thanks, I will along with a front end alignment. How long do you think since only 1,000 miles on the new vehicle will they do the first free tire alignment? I knew before I bought the santa fe new that it needed a front end alignment since it pulls pretty good to the right into the ditch even on a road not angled to the right/ditch. I decided to wait but don't want to wait too long since I know the tires are wearing a little uneven sooner rather than later being out of align. I have heard dealers stating give it 2-3,000 miles before the first alignment due to breaking in, but at 1K already, it is definitely off. My former GM vehicles all needed alignments for free under 1 yr and 12K miles, but none of my former Toyota vehicles needed them though.

#4 ·
QUOTE (cookiedough @ Jun 17 2011, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462699
thanks, I will along with a front end alignment. How long do you think since only 1,000 miles on the new vehicle will they do the first free tire alignment? I knew before I bought the santa fe new that it needed a front end alignment since it pulls pretty good to the right into the ditch even on a road not angled to the right/ditch. I decided to wait but don't want to wait too long since I know the tires are wearing a little uneven sooner rather than later being out of align. I have heard dealers stating give it 2-3,000 miles before the first alignment due to breaking in, but at 1K already, it is definitely off. My former GM vehicles all needed alignments for free under 1 yr and 12K miles, but none of my former Toyota vehicles needed them though.
I believe it's 1 year. I've had them do mine at 9,000 kms and 6 months after purchase.

#5 ·
took it in for alignment to closest dealer, said alignment wasn't needed. when asked to test drive with service mgr. they said they do not do that. What the F! Guess going to have to go to 2nd dealer now at 4700 miles and get it done there now that car is already 4 months old. Plus, they said bluetooth was working fine which it was at the time. Just last week, the darn bluetooth never connected/dialed again on the same darn cell phone. going to go do another dealer since they do not care. I'm finding a decent Hyundai dealer is very hard to find in my area. Starting to tick me off because I think the Hyundai's have come a long ways in the past 2 years or so, too bad their dealer network have no clue how to fix anything. 2 years ago I would never have considered a Hyundai vehicle of any kind. Beginning to wonder about dealer service though if ever anything seriously was needed I don't think they know much at all and from what I have read on this forum, it even seems most dealers are doing and recommending unnecessary maintenance prematurely along with not standing behind what is suppose to be the best warranty in the business. Makes me wonder.

#6 ·
I think it's the phone....

I was eligible for a Verizon phone upgrade in August of last year but didn't realize it until October. Everybody said, "Wait until the iPhone comes to Verizon!" but by that point, I had given up on that phone ever making it to my carrier. And having had one of the original iPhones and put up with AT&T's dreadful customer service, I settled for a Motorola Droid2...the second biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. I replaced that with a Samsung Fascinate which has been THE biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. I've had it warranty replaced FOUR times and each one is just as defective or worse than the last. It will often fail to pair just as you describe and will only work after cycling the phone power and one time, I had to actually delete and re-pair it. Bluetooth is not the phone's only fault but I won't go into that now as it just isn't relevant and you'd be here until Christmas if I were to list everything I hate about it.

Out of curiosity, I paired my mom's Verizon iPhone to my car with no trouble whatsoever. In fact, it connected and transferred my contacts in under 30 seconds whereas the Fascinate takes well over a minute to achieve that if it even connects or transfers at all. :evil: As soon as I can afford it, I'm buying the iPhone even though they're going to charge me full price. I can't put up with this POS another year.

#7 ·
It could be the phone I guess. Both my phone and the misses phone are basic cell phones made by LG UX300 (hers with issues with bluetooth) and mine LG UX565 still basic phone but with a sd memory card and mp3 player and 1.3MP camera vs. hers being like .3MP camera. We are going to switch phones since mine also syncs to the santa fe and see if my LG phone stays connected and dials as it should. Why bluetooth works a few times and then doesn't is beyond my 1st grade education I guess? You would think once it connects and works it should stay that way, but it doesn't. I wonder also why certain vehicles have different cell phones tested as being o.k. vs. one mfg. to the next? Isn't bluetooth bluetooth in all mfgs. nowadays, why would 1 mfg. vehicle work and not the other mfg.?

#8 ·
QUOTE (cookiedough @ Aug 14 2011, 12:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=490490
took it in for alignment to closest dealer, said alignment wasn't needed. when asked to test drive with service mgr. they said they do not do that.
Keep at it. When I asked them to check mine, they checked it and said is was within specs. I said might be within specs but that doesn't mean it's not pulling left. They adjusted it and gave it back to me. Still pulling. They adjusted it again and now goes straight. They never gave me a hard time. Once I explained the pull and what I did to test it.

Good luck.

#9 ·
Agree, but I am going to different dealer since I told them off already and told them they aren't getting my business unless absolutely necessary. Never have I waited 1 full hour for them to do nothing but test drive the vehicle twice with 2 different techs and then 1 hour later tell me they did nothing except test drive it twice. I never even got to test drive my car with the tech or service mgr. since they said they do not do that - what a bunch of B.S. Besides, I know for almost 99% certainty when they washed it for me they put three 2" long scratches thru the clear coat in the same area behind the right/passenger side rear door since NO ONE has ever used that door in the first 2-3 months of driving it. I of course never saw the scratches until I got home in the sunlight, so not going back and going to have to go to another Hyundai dealer 35 miles away. If they don't listen, I am forced to go to the next dealer at least 100 miles away from me, so hope they listen to me at least. Can you say I hate dealers especially when I know I am right and they do not listen.

#10 ·
QUOTE (cookiedough @ Aug 23 2011, 02:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=494524
Agree, but I am going to different dealer since I told them off already and told them they aren't getting my business unless absolutely necessary. Never have I waited 1 full hour for them to do nothing but test drive the vehicle twice with 2 different techs and then 1 hour later tell me they did nothing except test drive it twice. I never even got to test drive my car with the tech or service mgr. since they said they do not do that - what a bunch of B.S. Besides, I know for almost 99% certainty when they washed it for me they put three 2" long scratches thru the clear coat in the same area behind the right/passenger side rear door since NO ONE has ever used that door in the first 2-3 months of driving it. I of course never saw the scratches until I got home in the sunlight, so not going back and going to have to go to another Hyundai dealer 35 miles away. If they don't listen, I am forced to go to the next dealer at least 100 miles away from me, so hope they listen to me at least. Can you say I hate dealers especially when I know I am right and they do not listen.
Why can't you go in the car with them? It's your car after all! I'm lucky, I have about 6 dealership within 35 miles (3 within 15). Plenty to choose from and probably a good incentive for my closest one to do a good job, knowing that I can easily go somewhere else! As for the scratch, I hear you. When I saw how they washed my SF after my first service (broom brush in a bucket that must have been used for the past 10-15 cars), I tell them not too wash it when I go in now. I don't want that brush anywhere near my car!

#11 ·
Good question I asked them about test driving the car with them for the alignment issue. It is not off by much, but drifts 15 degrees or so to the right (ditch) even on a non cupped/curved to the right road. Over time, it will wear out my 18" tires and I don't want that. I asked why I cannot go with them and demanded a service mgr., but the service advisor just said we normally do not test drive with customers. I told them I have done this several times at the other Toyota dealer with my other Toyota vehicle no problems, why are you any different? He seemed to brush me off and I told them off afterwards stating I will never go back unless my Hyundai clunks out right in front of their service door. This is the same dealer when shopping for the Santa Fe the salesman thought they owned the market on Hyundai's telling me there are none out there the way I want it and would cost 500 bucks to get one in to them the way I wanted it. Plus, they lowballed me by 500 bucks on my trade in and said no other dealer will go below 500 dollars above dealer invoice on this hot selling Santa Fe. What total B.S.!!!!!!!
I called around and found a Hyundai dealer 200 miles away and got at dealer invoice plus 500 more on trade in saving me about 1500 bucks including the 500 bucks for not charging me anything to go get what I wanted in my exact color and options I wanted. This huge massive dealer that owns like 10 different vehicle mfgs. in the same town is in a yuppy market and owns the market within say 50 miles and they think no one will drive 100-200 miles away to save over 1,000 bucks. I hate arrogant salesman and even worse cocky/non customer service oriented service advisors. Waste of my time and gas money. Wish me luck at the other dealer in a much smaller market and smaller town. I have called this other smaller dealer to discuss the alignment and they seem very nice and willing to go the extra mile to make it right. We will see in the next few months before winter sets in to get this alignment done and to check out my oil pan rubber silicone gray gasket seal overhanging on the edge 3" and down about 1/4" that is not properly aligned for the oil pan seal but is not dripping oil, just squeshy oil residue when pushed in on the excess or misaligned oil pan gasket seal. I at least want to get the 4 wheel alignment done for sure and have the oil pan gasket seal documented on a repair order just in case after the warranty the oil pan starts to drip oil from that improper seal over several years away.

#13 ·
QUOTE (BOSTON @ Aug 24 2011, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=495103
Newbie here...I just picked up my '11 Santa Fe last week and the bluetooth setup just says "System Not Ready". I took it in and they had to order a radio already. I wish they'd test things like this to avoid the inconvenience to us customers...sheesh!
Good luck with that one. My last new 2009 corolla I traded in on this Hyundai santa fe in May, when I took delivery, the car had a missing button to disable the vehicle stability control left of the steering wheel on the dash. I knew it when I took delivery, but salesman even pointed the feature out to us and still never said a darn thing about the missing button from factory. Had to take delivery and go back a day or two later to have them install the darn button that should have been standard eqmt. install from factory. I got 3 free t-shirts from them for the hastle, but still a pain in the butt. Factory missed it, dealer upon inspection before delivery missed it, and salesman even when pointing the feature button out on delivery kept quiet about it until I said something - fricking B.S.

#14 ·
Finally was able to pick up an iPhone 4 (not the 4S, obviously) when my Fascinate was involved in a freak accident that completely shattered the screen. The phone still works but the soft buttons are mere shards of glass so I splurged on the iPhone.

It synced up to the Santa Fe no problems and the contacts transfer goes through very quickly and flawlessly. And, unlike many people on here (and in the Sonata section), I have not had the problem with it flip-flopping the first and last names of my contacts. I told it "Call Andy Williams on mobile" and it responded first name first, last name last. :grin:

#15 ·
So yes I do have the exact same thing with the Bluetooth pairing with the BlackBerry Bold 9900 and the Blackberry 9810 from my wife. This can't be the phones, they pair perfectly with other devices (playbook, GPS, Kia Soul, laptop). Same symptoms, pairing succeeded - transfer complete. Turn car off - start it again - pairing failed every single time. Start car - do not drive - set SF to discover with 0000 - connect to it from the BB Bold 9900 - asks for code - punch in 0000 and pairing succeeded. Drive, calls receiving, working fine. Turn car off at destiny, pay visit to family. Start car three hours later, pairing failed, do same thing set the car to 0000 and connect from BB works fine until I turn off the car. C.R.A.Z.Y. BUG!! Oh I am a computer nerd so believe me there is a problem with the bluetooth on the car. I was able to update the firmware on my wife's Kia Soul - how do I find the firmware on the Santa Fe? Car is going in on Thursday so I hope they can fix it at the dealer. Mobility - with the current laws in Ontario, Canada, is vital for me. On my commute to work I generally am in meetings or conference calls with EMEA so it has to work.

#18 ·
Had my HU replaced less than 2 months after getting the car because of Bluetooth connection issues. Haven't had a problem since.

Have them test it in the shop. Then try to pair your phones with another SF in their lot. If it connects, then they'll have to agree that your unit is defective.

#17 ·
I think same issue is happening to my wife's phone pairing then next time pairing failed. I think Hyundai needs to step up their game on their bluetooth technology since it sucks. Personally, I don't care anymore since my wife drives it and she does not care anymore, but doesn't make it right. As far as my front end alignment, the first idiot dealer brushed me off saying not needed, took it at 9 months and 11K in to 2nd dealer and actually test drove it with mechanic like first dealer should've done and they agreed it pulled slightly to the right. After hooking up to machine, the toe was out of spec a little bit, they fixed toe within spec and alignment is good now. F'ing first dealer gave them a piece of my mind and told them their service dept. sucks and will never go back - idiots.

#19 ·
I had my 2012 Santa Fe SE with Nav and premium package less than 10 minutes and had to take it back for a Bluetooth issue. My phones (Droid bionic and Iphone 4) paired, sync'd contacts and streamed music just fine. However, when I called someone they couldn't hear me at all and the line had a lot of static on it. Anyway, the long and short of it all was that they had to replace the head unit. Now it works just fine (fingers crossed).

From what I have read on this forum and online it seems that Bluetooth issues are a common problem.

#20 ·
How I fixed my BlueTooth issue!

First and foremost thanks to my good friends at RIM who were able to help me diagnose the problem further today. As explained my BB Bold 9900 would not pair properly. I am back on Firmware 7.0 for now and everything is working properly. I can receive calls and send calls. Maybe it is not the HU after all....
I could have sworn that Bluetooth is a standard.... not all that standard I gather?

#22 ·
I got an update from Hyundai Canada today:
We regret to learn of your issues in regards to pairing your phone with your 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Please be advised that our technical support department is aware of the pairing issues with the BlackBerry Bold 9900 and the latest BlackBerry software version 7.1 and are currently investigating further to find a solution for users.

Please also note that as we have not tested any aftermarket parts on our vehicles, we regret that Hyundai Auto Canada cannot comment on their compatibility, provide suggestions for their installation, nor can we recommend attempting to install them.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at the number below should you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

<taken the name out>

Customer Relations Coordinator
Hyundai Auto Canada Corp.
75 Frontenac Drive, Markham, ON, L3R 6H2
Telephone: 1-888-216-2626
www.hyundaicanada.com

So I got an answer to two questions in one email. Very helpful but not saying anything. I cannot believe that Hyundai will only place their NAV system in the top end of their vehicles. Also the bluetooth issue with 7.1 has something to do with the new encryption and timeouts on the bluetooth stack in the OS. That is at least what I got from RIM. Both are working on some kind of solution. I will be placing a NAV system once I have saved up enough money to afford these 1200 dollar upgrades.

#24 ·
@tricky: I have no choice in the BB versions as my company provides it and I only have the option to go for a 9810 or a 9900 both are on 7.1 and both have the hotspot enabled so I can work anywhere in the world.
I am still using my TomTom Go630 and there is no issue but the fact that Hyundai is not really supporting their customers installing a NAV system is a bit troubling.
Sure I can spend 6,000 more on the car but if I only need to spend around 1,000 I can do something different with the difference, like paying more money down on my car... etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.