Hyundai Forums banner

Time to replace plugs

9K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  hmr1979 
#1 ·
Has anyone changed the spark plugs on their Azera yet? With 126K miles, it's time and I'm considering going with NGK Iridum plugs. When I had my Camry, I used Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, but Bosch plugs run too hot for Hyundai cars. Anyone have any experience with NGK plugs?

#2 ·
Has anyone changed the spark plugs on their Azera yet? With 126K miles, it's time and I'm considering going with NGK Iridum plugs. When I had my Camry, I used Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, but Bosch plugs run too hot for Hyundai cars. Anyone have any experience with NGK plugs?
I think I read somewhere that the Azeras come with the NGK Iridum plugs and if they last over 100K I wouldn't have problem using them. Yes, I did use the NGKs in my Chrysler 300M and never a problem. To bad its not as easy to change the plugs in our Azeras as it was in the 300M, 30 minutes to R&R all six.:)

#3 ·
That would be interesting information. I know when I had my '02 Sonata, they came with Champion plugs in them. I agree with you on not being able to change the plugs on the Azeras ourselves. The front three are pretty easy to get to, it's those back three that are a monster. It must be a lot of work because everywhere I've called, the labor alone is around $250 for plug replacement.

#4 ·
That would be interesting information. I know when I had my '02 Sonata, they came with Champion plugs in them. I agree with you on not being able to change the plugs on the Azeras ourselves. The front three are pretty easy to get to, it's those back three that are a monster. It must be a lot of work because everywhere I've called, the labor alone is around $250 for plug replacement.
Hi Allmet, confirmed with my Hyundai parts dept and use the NGK plugs.
$11 to $14 apiece on amazon, not a cheap plug. Yes, you have to remove the intake manifold to get to the back three and if doing it yourself , I would have a new intake gasket available, don't want any air leaks after all that work to change three plugs. :mad:

#7 ·
Plugs on that engine is a cake walk.. Handfull of bolts and a little thought process.

NGK IRIDIUM IX is all you need, pick them up at any local part store that is a NGK retailer..

#9 ·
Maybe an hr to 1 1/2 tops if you got tools..

Nothing hard about the job..

#10 ·
Hello,

Does anyone know why the 2009 Azera 3.8 is spec'd for a 1-step colder plug? Is the engine different?

I just changed my plugs at 70K miles. They could have easily gone 100K miles. The plugs were clean and the gap was still tight at .044.

I have used Denso TT plugs in other applications, always choosing the one-step colder plug option, and always been happy with the performance and gas mileage results. So I bought 6 Denso PK20TT and put them in my Azera about 10 days ago.

The car ran just as smooth and had just as much power. I gapped them at .046. I had to leave on a 1400 mile trip. Gas mileage was the same or a little less at first, but now it appears I am getting 3% - 4% better mileage if i can trust the car's computer display. I am not taking these plugs out.

The Denso
PK20TT will not last as long as the stock Iridium NGKs. I have done clutches and timing belts in other cars but I am not as quick or as skilled as sbr711. It took me 4 hrs to change the Azera plugs but I think I could do it quicker next time.

-jp
2006 Azera
70K miles

#13 ·
TX I think ?? Got any good wild hog roast going on.. send me a ticket. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.