Hyundai Forums banner

Removing Door Panel.

38K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  saab90089 
#1 ·
This is a description on how to remove the door panel on a 3-door accent.
Could be helpful if you are about to change speakers.
Please excuse my english, I'm from Sweden, but I hope you'll understand.
I would be thankful if you could help me with the language.

1. Remove the 4 screws shown on the picture and the screw in the opening mechanism.
[attachmentid=591]

2. Remove the cap on the lock button.

3. Remove the mirror lever cap by pulling it straigt out. It is attached with one clip.

4. Remove the door crank by detaching the C-clip between the spacer and the door panel. It's tricky and somekind of hook could be useful. I used a screwdriver and it cost me some blood.
[attachmentid=592]

5. Pull out the plastic clips. Be careful. I think a spatula could be a useful tool.
[attachmentid=594]

6. Move the panel forward and up to remove the opening mechanism from the door. Then pull the mechaninsm out from the panel, turn it and push it back through the panel.
[attachmentid=593]

7. At this point the panel should be removed and you can see the door speaker and the adaptor. As you can see the opening mechanism remains on the door.
[attachmentid=595]
[attachmentid=596]

To put the doorcrank back just put the pieces together as shown in the picture and push it in position.

Good luck!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
@RobieF
What a wonderful reply. We all thank you.

I wish to add 2 hints:

1) I used a 5 inch, right angle pry bar inserted between the door material and the rubberish, washer. I pried *hard* in different places around the window crank before I could barely see one of the 2 clip ends. A screw driver handles was too big for me to get the tip on the clip end. I had to use a "poker" which had no handle, then using a 3rd hand (1 on the pry bar, 1 holding the poker at the clip) I tapped the poker to knock off the clip. With luck the clip did not spring "out of sight" (so DO NOT do this with the car sitting on dirt or in a yard.. you will never find it). Elapsed time 1 hour!

2) Emphasize that the door handle on the inside remains stationary. Pull the bottom of the door panel away from the door enough so that the panel clears the window crank capstan which sticks out about 10 millimeters. You must jam the loosened door panel forward maybe 6 to 10 millimeters to free it from inside door handle. Lift the whole door panel upwards. Now that the panel is much more free you can angle the inside door handle through the hole. Off comes the panel.

#7 ·
Nice article. Thanks.

Getting the window winder off is a pig. A tip I came across is to force some thin cloth around the shaft of the window winder and hold the cloth while turning the handle. The clip catches on the cloth and can be pulled loose. It worked for me with a yellow duster but it took a while. I hope it helps somebody else.

#11 ·
This will be useful as I need to dis-assemble the left side door of my wife's '97. The window came off track, and the winder is jammed. I heard snapping and winding spins free for 1/3 of the rotation) Iguess I have the best of both worlds. Hope someone can answer these following questions for me: (A) what will it take to get another winder, and (B) what should I ask for at dealers. I know there are no scrap yards in my area that have anything less than 2000's model year. For some reason these people aren't holding onto older vehicles. (Bastards)

#12 · (Edited)
That sucks about the junk yards not having older cars. I was lucky enough to have gone to one just when they had an Accent with the exact fit window regulator for mine.

I'm assuming by winder you mean the entire window regulator? If not at a junkyard you can at least get them off eBay for around $30. It's a pretty easy job if you're patient. I also learned the hard way that unlike other parts, you have to get a window regulator for your specific car model and year. Regulators from other make years may look totally alike but one screw may be off by mere inches.

I had to replace both on my car and was only able to find one at the junkyard. The right side window is from a 1999 Accent with both screws tightened but the window crank knob is a couple inches off. At least its holding the window in place just fine! :p

#13 ·
Thank you so much for this thread! I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get the window crank off - searched google and this thread surfaced.

That darn clip holding the window crank on is VERY hard to see. I could just barely see it if I pried on the crank handle and used a mirror.

I ended up using a hook shaped pick and took a guess as to where the loop of the clip was and pulled it out.

Also a note on installing this clip: with the crank off the car, put the clip fully on the handle, and then just push the crank handle onto the stem until you hear it click.

Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.