2001 Tiburon No Spark, New Coil - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zleader_99
(Thread Starter)
First off let me tell you this problem is gettin a little old. I am at a lost right now and will share you my test results and what I have done. Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. The main problem car was not starting, Cranking fine, no spark, can smell fuel with plugs removed.

Removed spark plugs. They were in poor shape so replaced.
Checked for spark, nothing pressent, fuel smell heavy, determined fuel delivery is working. As new plugs are coated in fuel.
measured resistance of the wires. all passeed except cylinder 1, 1.4 mega ohms. So i replaced the set
At the coil check primary windings with my meter. .5 of a ohm. each 1and4 and 2and3 coil
At coil checked secondary 2 and 3 10.5 kohms and 1 and 4 1.5 mega ohms (COIL replaced with wrecher unit)
Checked for power to the coil centre pin to either outside pin 12.3volts with key on

Car still not producing a spark. Scared coil from junk yard n/g removed from car and put in friends Elantra of the same year, car starts. Put his coil in mine still not starting. Test proves wreaker unit is okay to use. Swap units back.

I have been doing some reading, my educated guess right now are the cam or crank sensor.

Questions
Is there a way of testing the cam/crank sensor with out a data logger? for example a resistance check?
Can a faulty coil take out the cam/crank sensors?
Do you need both cam and crank sensors fault free for the car to make a spark?
I traced back the green and white wire on a diagram, these are ground wires to the ECM? The Bown is the 12v+ to the coil? Could my ECM be toast?

On a secondary question will a crank sensor or cam sensor issue produce multi cyclinder codes for missfire? p0300. p0301, p0304?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dragonmp5
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonmp5
Are there any codes? Have you checked the spark by leaving the spark plug out where you can see it? Don't hold it when cranking. It may be a problem of too much fuel. Try holding the gas pedal in a little when cranking and see if it starts, if it does then you have leaking injectors. If the car is cranking then the crank sensor is fine, if the sensor was bad you would not be able to crank it at all. It is possible that the ecm is bad. See about getting one out of a junked car (to save money in case yours is bad) that is just like yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.