Need Firing Order Verification For 1998 Fx - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
puzzledbytiburon
(Thread Starter)
Hi everyone, I am new here. Let me start out by saying I am fairly unschooled with Hyundai as a whole. I am a Dodge musclecar guy (yes I have heard all knocks you can come up with and I know Dodge could have had better engineers), I am familiar with 1980s GMs because I have had several and I am getting to know Toyotas pretty well too. Well, I have been neglecting my GF car because we werent living together and whatnot and now I have a problem! She took it to a mechanic because we thought the fuel pump was failing and I did not want to deal with it. Long story short, it wasnt- they tuned it up and sent her on her way. I finally drove the car and noticed it had NO power and then the misfiring started. After a lot of head scratching, I noticed her spark plug wires were not correct.
So, my first question: Is this firing order correct for a 1998 2.0 FX:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing.../bl-fo-4735.htm

Thats how I hooked it up and while its immediately better, it still misfires and I fear her coil is toast. I think I might as well get new plugs while I am at it. I welcome any thoughts and thanks-

Let me rephrase- does that page show the correct cylinder numbering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2007, 07:41 PM

jhale316
I had the same issue with finding out the fire sequence. Here it is. 1-3-4-2

when looking at the front of the car the plugs are in this order:
4-3-2-1

when looking at the ignition coil on the side going from closest to you:
2-3-4-1

but like i said the correct fire sequence is: 1-3-4-2

Hope this helps.
#3 Old 03-24-2008, 04:10 PM

puzzledbytiburon
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info- I think i finally got it sorted out. Sorry about how late I am on this- no reply for a long time.
One last question if anyone has thoughts- We live in Colorado and my girlfriend buys 85 octane, I realize how the altitude works. In Iowa she would buy the cheaper ethanol blend (at least 90 octane). Her car has a tough time starting occassionally but then seems to be fine. I have checked her fuel system, her battery and charging, sparkplugs and wires and really cant find the issue. Her coil tests fine but mabe its a little worn. I was going to check her fuel filters- does a 98 have one in the fuel tank? Any thoughts? Thanks
#4 Old 07-22-2008, 04:47 AM

jhale316
the fuel filter is a bit of a pain to get to but its located behind the driver side wheel well under the master cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.