Hyundai Forums banner

2012 SE speedometer off

10K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  krazeaznboy 
#1 ·
Has any-one else checked their speedometer? When I am going 65mph on the speedometer my GPS say 61, and i have checked it on 2 GPS's and have run those 2 GPS's on 2 other cars. So its definatly off. I am thinking my odometer is off too possibly. I am going to have it looked at soon under warranty. I am wondering if they can re-adjust the odemeter if it is off. i think they should set it back. i think i am showing about 600 miles to much right now. losing warranty fast here. I think the tires on the SE must be a little smaller than the other models, and they didn't adjust the speedometer for it.

#2 · (Edited)
Has any-one else checked their speedometer? When I am going 65mph on the speedometer my GPS say 61,
We have a few radar signs which say "Your speed is." I've noticed they report 5% less than my speedometer. I.e., speedometer says 42 and the sign says 40.

Good point about this working in Hyundai's favor. Maybe it's why the dashboard MPG is off by 5% too.

But, I wonder how perfect any speedo can be. I wonder if 5% is within the margin of error.

There are advantages to erring on the side of overstatement. If I push the posted speed limit to 50, I should have a greater chance of a police officer recording me doing 47.5. Not enough over the 45 limit to be cited. But, if the speedo understated 5%, I would be doing 55 instead of 50, which would definitely result in a citation.

Might be worthwhile to leave well enough alone?

#3 ·
Here you go

Attachments

#4 ·
Here you go what? WTF am i supposed to do with that?

#5 ·
So I figured out that I am getting 2 miles a gallon less than I thought I was too. I think the Koreans are a bunch of Crooks. My 60K warranty will be up 5500 miles sooner too. I probably would not have bought this car if I had known all this sooner. Still like the car, but I bought this car based on the 40 mpg hwy sticker. Now i have to go check the KIA we just bought.

#14 · (Edited)
So I figured out that I am getting 2 miles a gallon less than I thought I was too.
You're just now figuring this out?

Most of the people who follow mpg readings displayed by the car are being mislead. Just look at the 40+ club thread.

My average MPG reading on the dash was always 2 to 3 mpg higher than what I calculated by hand. Fortunately, my avg. mpg reading is now 40mpg due to my conservative driving, but I'm calculating 37-38mpg by hand.

I know how you feel because I also bought this car for its 40mpg rating, and the fact that it was brand new and I needed reliable transportation. I still like my car and am still getting better MPGs than my older car.

One way to look at it is that you are putting "less miles" on your car than you really are as far as the car's computer is concerned. Will help a bit in terms of resale value and warranty issues...

#6 ·
I just found this online. gonna try it tomorrow using a GPS for the 2 mile distance.
Auto Meter

Electronic Speedometer calibration made easy!

To calibrate your electronic speedometer:
1) With the power off, push and hold the calibration button (trip/reset button when equipped). While holding the button, start the vehicle and continue to hold the button until the pointer sweeps to full scale and stays at full scale. You may now release the button.
2) Drive to the beginning of a pre-marked 2 mile distance and come to a stop. It does not matter how far away it is to get to this pre-marked 2 mile distance. Do NOT shut the engine off. Push and release the button. The pointer will drop to half scale.
3) Drive the 2 mile distance. The pointer will remain at the half scale mark no matter what speed you drive. If the speedometer has a LCD display odometer, it will be normal to see it counting rapidly as it is receiving a speed signal. If you have to stop during the calibration, that is o.k.. The speedometer is simply counting pulses during this time.
4) At the end of the 2 mile distance, come to a complete stop and push and release the button. The pointer will drop to 0 and the calibration is stored. You are now finished.
Remember the accuracy of your 2 mile distance will directly affect the accuracy of your speedometer.

#7 ·
I just found this online. gonna try it tomorrow using a GPS for the 2 mile distance.
Auto Meter

Electronic Speedometer calibration made easy!

To calibrate your electronic speedometer:
1) With the power off, push and hold the calibration button (trip/reset button when equipped). While holding the button, start the vehicle and continue to hold the button until the pointer sweeps to full scale and stays at full scale. You may now release the button.
2) Drive to the beginning of a pre-marked 2 mile distance and come to a stop. It does not matter how far away it is to get to this pre-marked 2 mile distance. Do NOT shut the engine off. Push and release the button. The pointer will drop to half scale.
3) Drive the 2 mile distance. The pointer will remain at the half scale mark no matter what speed you drive. If the speedometer has a LCD display odometer, it will be normal to see it counting rapidly as it is receiving a speed signal. If you have to stop during the calibration, that is o.k.. The speedometer is simply counting pulses during this time.
4) At the end of the 2 mile distance, come to a complete stop and push and release the button. The pointer will drop to 0 and the calibration is stored. You are now finished.
Remember the accuracy of your 2 mile distance will directly affect the accuracy of your speedometer.

Do you have Autometer gauges installed in your car? I dont foresee this working with Hyundai factory guages...

#9 ·
My speedo reads a couple of MPH low as well.. When the speedo is showing 63, the GPS shows 60. (I've checked the speedo with three different GPS units and the results have all been the same).

FWIW, I've checked my odometer using accurately spaced highway markers and found that it 2% low... So, if my odometer says 100 miles, I've really gone 102. I apply that 2% correction when I hand calculate my mileage. It doesn't make that much of a difference. (Less than 1 MPG).

#11 ·
Dude, stop freaking out. No speedometer is ever 100% accurate. The Speedo and the odo are not directly tied together so you aren't losing miles of your warranty. Just relax, accept that is how things work in this world, and be happy that it well help you get a few less tickets.
How old are you btw?

#12 ·
The Speedo and the odo are not directly tied together so you aren't losing miles of your warranty.
That's an interesting suggestion. Since both are digital readouts, I would assume they are tied together (one accrues from the other).

The next time someone takes a really long trip on an interstate, they should compare their odo to the number of mile markers they pass.

That's not a perfect test because the Accent's odo doesn't display tenths of miles. But, they could drive exactly 60 going into the first marker, and exactly 60 passing the last marker, noting each time how many seconds it takes for the odo to increase to the next mile. That should give an accurate measurement (and doesn't require a long trip either).

#18 · (Edited)
I don't know which tires go on which model Accent in Korea, but both the Hankook OPtimo 724 and the Kumho Solus KH25 have a (claimed) overall diameter of 23.7". That's taken from the data at the two tire makers' websites, not from tirerack or Hyundai. There is a one revolution difference per mile (876 revolutions per mile for the Hankook, 877 for the Kumho) according to their independently provided data.

Hankook Optimo 724
Welcome to Hankook Tire International Website

P175/70R14
84 T 5.0 4.5-6.0 23.7 7.0 4.6 9.5 876 DSB 44 1,102

Kumho KH25
SOLUS KH25 - Kumho Tire USA, Inc.

P195/50R16 2141143 83H BSW 480 A/A 5.0 - 7.0 7.9 on 6.0 23.7 0.0 11.1 877 10.0 1074

I agree that speedometers and odometers and mpg computers should be accurate, not intentionally low. It's the year 2012, after all, and car makers have had plenty of time now to develop good instrumentation so that including accurate speedometers and odometers in their cars should not be a problem. In fact over there in S. Korea, it's the year 4345 - so that makes the omission even worse.

#19 ·
I don't know which tires go on which model Accent in Korea, but both the Hankook OPtimo 724 and the Kumho Solus KH25 have a (claimed) overall diameter of 23.7". That's taken from the data at the two tire makers' websites, not from tirerack or Hyundai. There is a one revolution difference per mile (876 revolutions per mile for the Hankook, 877 for the Kumho) according to their independently provided data.

Hankook Optimo 724
Welcome to Hankook Tire International Website

P175/70R14
84 T 5.0 4.5-6.0 23.7 7.0 4.6 9.5 876 DSB 44 1,102

Kumho KH25
SOLUS KH25 - Kumho Tire USA, Inc.

P195/50R16 2141143 83H BSW 480 A/A 5.0 - 7.0 7.9 on 6.0 23.7 0.0 11.1 877 10.0 1074
Just checked the Korean website. We have the same tire specs as them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.