Hyundai Forums banner

Anyone else have issues with the Avg mpg display?

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  rscamp 
#1 ·
I know you guys are mostly from the US so your display says "Avg MPG", but since I'm in Canada and we use the metric system and cars are advertised as using a certain number of liters of gas per 100 km (yes the title was a trap :devil: ). So, my display says something like 7.2L/100km. Lower numbers are better, the car is advertised as doing City: 6.7/100km, Hwy: 4.9/100km, Combined: 5.9/100km.

I don't know why but it really helps me try to drive more smoothly when I can watch my average gas consumption (not the "instant" one, that's not exactly useful) on my car. But I noticed something a couple of days ago and I confirmed it this morning: when the car is off for a few hours, it seems that the avg L/100km goes higher!

I hold my average at around 7.5L/100km because I do mostly traffic and I'm not exactly an ECO driver. But 2 days ago when I turned on my car, all of a sudden that number was 22L/100km; a ridiculous number that could not possibly be true. I reset the counter and continued using the car.

Last night I'm fairly certain that number was around 7.5 as my "usual", but this morning it started off at 10.2! I didn't reset it this time as a test, and it gradually went down, all the way to 8.3 at the end of the day. So, definitely not my actual average consumption. I reset it again tonight just before turning off the car, and tomorrow I'll re-check if it changed.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? And if so, what do I do about it? Get my dealership involved and get them to fix the issue if they even can?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, i just got my Accent last thursday, still on my first tank, i reset the average consuption when i fill up the tank. Untill now, my average consuption never got bellow 10.8 L/100, im always on city driving, lots of start and stop traffic and right now the display shows 11.1 L/100, my Accent is the 1.4 model with a 4 speed auto ...

Is this average because its still a brand new engine or its something wrong with the computer calculations ??

Strange, i will see what happens after 2 or 3 fill ups.

#3 ·
10-11 L/100kms seems wayyyy to high for a car that advertises ~5L/100kms...I get about 6-7 L/100kms on my MC (2010) Accent, but I do mostly highway driving...I know that when I do more city driving I get around 7.5 L/100kms...

#5 ·
That sounds similar to a Scanguage display where the avg consumption resets after about 12 hours. After a re-set, the avg consumption appears higher during the early minutes after starting, then drops as the engine warms and the average speed increases. I wonder if the Accent applies the avg fuel consumption differently for mpg and km/l displays. I have not noticed the problem with my mpg display.

Being in Canada, maybe you are warming the car too long before starting out since you are so much further north? (This is said in jest since you are actually south of where I live in the United States. According to something I read, most of Canada's population is south of North Dakota, and the rest of the northern tier states by implication.)

#6 ·
I don't actually let the car heat up that much, perhaps maybe a minute while my wife puts our daughter in the car seat and buckles up. And it did happen when I was alone coming back from work, meaning the car was on for about 10 seconds before I was on my way.

And right now, it's about 25 degrees celcius outside, so not Igloo and plaid shirt weather yet ;)

If no one else has a similar issue (though I'd like to hear it from someone in Canada if there are any out there), then I'll ask the mechanic when I get my first oil change at the dealership.

#8 ·
I set mine to real time.

OH, and on a side-note. When I went to fill up the AVG read 37.1, when I did my calculations I got 37.26. So it is pretty accurate.

My biggest pet peeve is the speedo being about 2mph off. GPS says 65, car says 67.

#11 ·
I'm in Canada and haven't noticed that, but I typically keep it on the real time one.
My gas mileage is also showing as an average of 7.2-7.5L/100km and I'm just about done my second tank of gas. I understand that gas mileage WILL be poorer during break-in, so I'm not freaking out too bad yet.

#12 ·
gas milliage not so good

My 2012 accent GL accent with the 6 speed automatic with 3200 KM is not getting great city millage. I am not hard on the car, and drive mostly city traffic to and from work, along with a 10 minute drive at 80KM/hr each way. I never see the avg L/100km under 8.5L/100km. I also find that the transmission shifts up to a higher gear too soon after starting from stop, for example when it shifts from lets say 2nd to 3rd gear the car feels like it's braking and I have to press the gas a little harder. I have never driven a car with a GDI motor before, so I don't know if this is normal. I will be asking the dealer mechanic when I bring it in for the 1st oil change, if this shifting issue is normal and why am I getting such poor gas millage

#13 ·
When I set the computer to AVG I only get the long-term running average which varies very little once some distance has been traveled.

eslachance - Are you resetting the AVG such that it is frequently recalculating a new average based on new data? If so, at the very beginning the computer will correctly calculate large swings in fuel economy based on the sparse data.

#14 ·
Hi again, im on my 2nd tank, got around 8.5 L/100km for around half tank, and right now, with 4 bars left, it shows 10.5 L/100 km, i live in a small city, so no highway driving at all, and i drive slow, speed limit of 60 Km/h, and in some roads 80 Km/h. Sometimes lots of stop and go traffic.

But for a 1400 cc engine, i was expecting a much better fuel economy...

Right now my Accent has 555 Km, so with 2 tanks i will be getting a bit less than 700 Km ...

Hope it will get better after my first oil change at 1000 Km

#15 ·
new_to_hyundai (couldn't get a more descriptive username? lol), from what you're saying it sounds like you're on automatic, right? Turn off the ECO, you'll notice a difference in performance (if the manual trans ECO indicator means your auto trans would shift, definitely). I had the same issue with shifting to second gear if I followed the ECO indicator, because I was shifting at about 2100 RPM, which started the 2nd gear at around 1900. At that revolution, the torque is crap and the car would "lurch" forward as soon as it hit 2000 rpm back.

rscamp, I figured that this was the case. After my initial tests I stopped resetting the AVG, and it's been holding out between 7.5 and 8L/100km, which is pretty understandable considering I drive in traffic to get to work in the morning.

john88a, I assume you mean 10,000km, not 1000? That would make no sense, I reached that in about 2 weeks :p

#18 ·
Huh. Considering I'm a little over 2000km and my dealer hasn't called me for an oil change yet, I find that a little disappointing. I guess I'll have to call them to get an appointment asap.

#19 ·
No your regular oil change interval is still 7500 km (or 6000 km for severe use). An oil change at 1000 km is one of those "common wisdom" type things that may or may not be beneficial for the engine. I don't want to start a flame war, so I'll just say it's up to you to get that done and it will not matter to your warranty one way or another.

#21 ·
The oil change at 1000 Km, is the first oil change, due to engine break in period wich will have lots of metal bits in the oil, so its usually done at a very short interval after geting the car, the other oil changes will follow the regular interval referred by Hyundai.

#22 ·
This is 'conventional wisdom' in some circles and it sounds plausible, but a lot of things in life sound good but turn out to be untrue. Are you sure there is any real benefit? If this is true, why isn't it in the manual? What would be benefit be? Doesn't the filter remove the particulate? Could this be short-changing the break in process? And most importantly, what is the evidence to support this hypothesis? Who has done the testing to find out and what were the results?

Unless these questions can be answered in a way that shows such a short interval to the first oil change is a real benefit for a particular engine design, no conclusions can be drawn and it would be prudent to follow manufacturer's recommendations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.