Auto Climate Control No Heat - Anyone Else? - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nata
(Thread Starter)
On the trip home from Chicago to Minneapolis last night, the outside temperatures varied around high 40's to low 50's through Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Our 2008 Sonata Limited 3.3 V6 has a auto climate control unit which blows A/C beautifully even when the outside temp listed on the unit is 50 degrees F. I've noticed it wasn't getting any warmer while trying to turn the dial to 72 -75- 80-84 degrees, it kept staying cold and blowing cold even when directing the air to floor, face and defrost. Good thing the kiddies were nice and warm in their car seats and covered with their blankets, then us we were happy to have the heated seats option.
I've kept an eye on the temperature gauge and that was just shy under half between Cold and Hot, which is where I have seen it at normal operating temperatures.
At a gas station while stopped to refuel, I've opened the hood and checked the coolant hoses upper and lower on the radiator.
The top one was definitely hotter than the lower one - this got me thinking the thermostat is working OK....
Then I've reached in the back to the heater core hoses and both the inlet and outlet hoses were hot. Which told me that the heater core is not clogged and hot coolant flows through.

Now I am puzzled why am I getting cold A/C when the temperature dial is turned to MAX or anywhere in high 80's F, regardless where I directed the air flow?
nata is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Does this also occur when you disable the auto climate control and manually control the air temperature and airflow? If this issue still occurs with the auto climate control off, then it could be that the air diverter that directs airflow over the heater core is not functioning properly. If this issue doesn't occur with the auto climate control off, then it would appear to be a problem with the auto climate control system.


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
#3 Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nata
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Sep 6 2011, 03:25 PM)
Quote:
Does this also occur when you disable the auto climate control and manually control the air temperature and airflow? If this issue still occurs with the auto climate control off, then it could be that the air diverter that directs airflow over the heater core is not functioning properly. If this issue doesn't occur with the auto climate control off, then it would appear to be a problem with the auto climate control system.

Hi ActionMan,

It happens both on Auto and on manual mode control of air flow and temperature. Do you have any idea where/how to access the diverter to see if it works properly? This morning I've taken the glove out and the bottom shield under the blower motor, the pollen filter out and confirmed the blower motor works OK on all speeds. I would hear the blend-doors switching while directing the air flow from floor to defrost and face mode. That works as should.

Any directions are greatly appreciated.
nata is offline  
#4 Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
QUOTE (nata @ Sep 6 2011, 08:03 PM)
Quote:
Hi ActionMan,

It happens both on Auto and on manual mode control of air flow and temperature. Do you have any idea where/how to access the diverter to see if it works properly? This morning I've taken the glove out and the bottom shield under the blower motor, the pollen filter out and confirmed the blower motor works OK on all speeds. I would hear the blend-doors switching while directing the air flow from floor to defrost and face mode. That works as should.

Any directions are greatly appreciated.
The diverter that I speak of is the cold/hold temperature selector or the Temperature Control Actuator in Hyundai parlance. You can see information regarding this component at http://www.hmaservice.com. If you haven't signed up yet, go ahead, it's free. Then under Shop -> 2008 > G 3.3 DOHC -> Heating,Ventilation, Air Conditioning -> Heater ->Temperature Control Actuator you will see Description and Operation, Components and Components Location, and Repair procedures. That should give you all of the information you need to diagnose and replace, if necessary, the offending component.


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
#5 Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nata
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Sep 6 2011, 09:30 PM)
Quote:
The diverter that I speak of is the cold/hold temperature selector or the Temperature Control Actuator in Hyundai parlance. You can see information regarding this component at http://www.hmaservice.com. If you haven't signed up yet, go ahead, it's free. Then under Shop -> 2008 > G 3.3 DOHC -> Heating,Ventilation, Air Conditioning -> Heater ->Temperature Control Actuator you will see Description and Operation, Components and Components Location, and Repair procedures. That should give you all of the information you need to diagnose and replace, if necessary, the offending component.
Awesome! Thanks for the direction!
nata is offline  
#6 Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
QUOTE (nata @ Sep 6 2011, 08:56 PM)
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the direction!
No problem. You're welcome.


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
#7 Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nata
(Thread Starter)
Would you happen to know if besides dealer parts department where else could I find a temperature control actuator?

A local dealer has it listed with part # 971243K000 at $94.52 but not in stock at the time.

Googled for it, but just another dealer listed it online.

Last edited by nata; 09-08-2011 at 04:54 PM.
nata is offline  
#8 Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nata View Post
Would you happen to know if besides dealer parts department where else could I find a temperature control actuator?

A local dealer has it listed with part # 971243K000 at $94.52 but not in stock at the time.

Googled for it, but just another dealer listed it online.
That seems to me the sort of part that only a dealer would carry, being that it is so specific to the Hyundai Sonata. You could try a salvage yard to see if they have one floating around, but it may not be worth it if you have to remove it from the vehicle yourself.


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
#9 Old 09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nata
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help ActionMan!

This past weekend I've taken the Temperature Control Actuator out and it got it to work while connected to a battery. Then tested the power in the connector was OK. I've reconnected it and VOILA it worked!
I guess it might have been a weak/loose connection.

We have heat and cold depending of the degree of temperature position.

nata is offline  
#10 Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool! Glad is was only a connector issue. You just saved yourself a couple hundred dollars in labor. Congratulations!!


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome