Front Wheel Bearing Replacement - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kaseuponone
(Thread Starter)
2006 Sonata with 90k

When I make right turns the left front wheel is making a rubbing sound with the motion of the wheel. It's not doing it on a straight line, just turning right. I've talked to a couple of my friends and they are telling me it's a wheel bearing. I have a service manual but it's not really going into detail on what I'm in for. I work on motorcycles all the time and my good friend said he has a press if I can bring him the knuckle and the OEM bearing. Can someone give me a little guidance before I take the wheel off and get started. Are there any special tools involved, etc...should I do the other side while I'm doing this also...thank you very much for your time!!
kaseuponone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, my experience with wheel bearings is that they make noise regardless of the direction the wheel. However, CV joints tend to make more noise when turning than they do driving in a straight line. Typically, the noise a bad CV joint makes is a clicking sound, but in the early stages it could sound more like the rubbing sound you are hearing. I would thoroughly inspect the CV joints, paying particular attention to the right CV joint and look for any cracks in the boot or any grease on the outside of the boots.


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
#3 Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kaseuponone
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Jul 14 2011, 06:17 PM)
Quote:
Well, my experience with wheel bearings is that they make noise regardless of the direction the wheel. However, CV joints tend to make more noise when turning than they do driving in a straight line. Typically, the noise a bad CV joint makes is a clicking sound, but in the early stages it could sound more like the rubbing sound you are hearing. I would thoroughly inspect the CV joints, paying particular attention to the right CV joint and look for any cracks in the boot or any grease on the outside of the boots.
The noise is coming from the left front...I check the cv joint and everything is sealed and clean.
kaseuponone is offline  
#4 Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
QUOTE (slappy97 @ Jul 14 2011, 04:49 PM)
Quote:
The noise is coming from the left front...I check the cv joint and everything is sealed and clean.
Interesting, have you rotated tires to see if noise still comes from left front?


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
#5 Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kaseuponone
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Jul 14 2011, 06:51 PM)
Quote:
Interesting, have you rotated tires to see if noise still comes from left front?
just rotated and balanced 2 days ago...it didn't stop.
kaseuponone is offline  
#6 Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, all of my wheel bearing issues have occured after 150K miles, so 90K seems a bit soon to me but it is possible I guess. It could be brake related, (rubbing while turning), or suspension related, (though those noises tend to be more thumping than rubbing). To be sure that it is indeed the wheel bearings, if you can get the front end in the air, while the transmission is engaged, place a listening device against the inside hub of the wheel and you should definitely hear bearing noise. A simple tool to use is a screw driver, but they also make a mechanic's stethiscope for these types of diagnoses. Personally I would want to be sure it is the bearing before I spent the time and effort tearing apart the front wheels.


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
#7 Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kaseuponone
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Jul 14 2011, 07:10 PM)
Quote:
Hmm, all of my wheel bearing issues have occured after 150K miles, so 90K seems a bit soon to me but it is possible I guess. It could be brake related, (rubbing while turning), or suspension related, (though those noises tend to be more thumping than rubbing). To be sure that it is indeed the wheel bearings, if you can get the front end in the air, while the transmission is engaged, place a listening device against the inside hub of the wheel and you should definitely hear bearing noise. A simple tool to use is a screw driver, but they also make a mechanic's stethiscope for these types of diagnoses. Personally I would want to be sure it is the bearing before I spent the time and effort tearing apart the front wheels.
Sounds like a plan...I'll see what I can do. Thank you very much!!
kaseuponone is offline  
#8 Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
QUOTE (slappy97 @ Jul 14 2011, 05:24 PM)
Quote:
Sounds like a plan...I'll see what I can do. Thank you very much!!
No problem. You're welcome. I'm interested in learning what you find out.


Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline  
#9 Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Senior Member
 
jsinton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Inverness, Florida
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jsinton is an unknown quantity at this point
Rubbing sound going around turns is not wheel bearing noise. Grinding sound at all times is wheel bearing. Is your rotor shield rubbing on the rotor when you go around turns?


jsinton is offline  
#10 Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
eckell3
Yup wheel bearing make a grinding, growling or humming noise regardless of what way you are driving.

Is your tire contacting the shroud/shield in the fender?


Here is a test you can try

Park the car on level ground and jack the front end of the car up and put it on jack stands. Then put the parking brake on and chock the rear wheels. Get a buddy to sit in the car and put it in gear and let the wheels turn then after that have him/her turn the wheel and you check to see if it makes the noise. It is very possible it might need a load placed on it before you get the noise but you might get lucky and it will manifest itself without it

Good luck
eckell3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome