Hyundai Forums banner

Rotor Resurfacing

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Tommer 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought a used 2007 Sonata @ 28K miles 4 months back from a private party and I did pre purchase vehicle inspection and every thing seems to be good at that time. After 4K miles, I heard a grinding noise from back side of car and when I took the car to dealer, they said I need to replace rotors and pads and estimated $275.00 for that. And for resurfacing the rotors they estimated $220.00.

Q1: When I see the pads, only one side of one of the pad is completely worn out. I am thinking that this should be because of some malfunction of pads or caliper. Is rotors covered under warranty? My dealer was saying that they are not covered.

So, I decided to take the car to a local mechanic and he was unable to remove the rotors from the car and he replaced brake pads with new ones and he said I should be good for next 10K or 15K miles.

Q2: Since the rotor surface is not smooth, is it going to eat the break pads? is it safe to drive car with a bad surfaced rotor?

Q3: Could any one please let me know any shop where some one resurface the rotor with out removing the rotor? I know O'Reilly Auto parts does resurfacing @15$ per rotor, but I need to remove the rotor from the car ( Which my mechanic could not able to do)

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,
Venkata

See less See more
#2 ·
1. The rotors are covered under warranty, as Miami has said above. Pads are about $50 a set tops, unless you're buying some really weird stuff...

2. It really depends on how bad the rotors are. My rotors aren't very smooth right now cause I changed the last brake pads myself and didn't wanna change the rotors since it's a PIA to get out. I'll probably change it in my next brake pad change. It still works. There's gonna be a little vibration when you brake if your rotors aren't smooth I think...

#3 ·
QUOTE (venkata @ Jun 10 2010, 11:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331900
Q1: When I see the pads, only one side of one of the pad is completely worn out. I am thinking that this should be because of some malfunction of pads or caliper. Is rotors covered under warranty? My dealer was saying that they are not covered.

Rotors are not covered under warranty if you allow the pads to wear down to metal and ruin the rotor surface, the dealer is correct.

So, I decided to take the car to a local mechanic and he was unable to remove the rotors from the car and he replaced brake pads with new ones and he said I should be good for next 10K or 15K miles.

Is your mechanic incompetent? Rotors come off a Sonata, it's not "captive".

Q2: Since the rotor surface is not smooth, is it going to eat the break pads? is it safe to drive car with a bad surfaced rotor?

It's not safer than new rotors, but he's right. It will last for a while.

Q3: Could any one please let me know any shop where some one resurface the rotor with out removing the rotor? I know O'Reilly Auto parts does resurfacing @15$ per rotor, but I need to remove the rotor from the car ( Which my mechanic could not able to do)

So why couldn't he remove the rotors? Did he say?

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,
Venkata

#4 ·
Probably screws stripped out, maybe why he was unable to remove. On my 2006, I have 102k miles on the original pads/rotors. I need to pull the wheel and lube the guide pins though and bleed the brakes, get some fresh fluid in the lines.

You can buy new rotors from http://www.autopartswarehouse.com for around 89 bucks each, at least for the front. Don't know the price at the dealer. Seem's rear rotors aren't susceptible to warping like the fronts.

#5 ·
I'm in a similar position, although I have 56k and 30% left on the pads. Rotors are warped and one dealer denied coverage.

Try another dealer, although Your $275.00 quote seems like a good deal to me!

The dealer I went to wanted $500+ for the same work.

Good luck!

#6 ·
Hi Venkata, and welcome to the forum! :00000732:

I'll try my best to steer you in the right direction:

Q1 - I think I recall this being a problem on some Sonata rear brakes. The calipers freeze and wear prematurely. No way the rear pads should be worn
out at less than 50K miles. Check the "Stickies above, and look for "TSB's" (technical service bulletins) on rear brake calipers and rotors. I hope you
can get them fixed under warranty.

Q2 - That depends. If the rotors have normal (smooth shallow) annular grooves, it won't hurt anything. If you had metal-to-metal contact and galling on
the rotor, it will cause accelerated wear on the new pads. They would need resurfacing.

Q3 - I know some tire and brake shops do "on the car" resurfacing, but it's a local thing. The calipers need to be loosened up, or they will do the same thing.

Hope that helps! If not, take a look around. There are many other inquiries here about brake rotors.

#8 ·
Thanks for your replies. I took the car to some other mechanic, he removed the rotor and showed me that it has 5-6 black spots on it and he suggested me to install new ones rather than resurfacing.
So, we installed new rotors and brake pads. It does not make any noise when I test drove it. However, I observed small grinding noise coming from one of the rear wheel. Is this common regular thing because of new rotors and pads or Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Venkata

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.